Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2015 1:41:06 PM EDT
I've owned 1911's before, and have shot many.  Kimbers, Nighthawks, Wilsons, Springfields, Colts.......  I've never really tried carrying a 1911.  I am looking for a "long range" (up to 50 yard) carry pistol.  I don't shoot my G26 accurately beyond 15 yards.  My 25 yard groups open up to 10-12".  I can shoot many other guns far better.  This has made me rethink being happy with my G26 which Ive shot IDPA matches with, and done well with.  I can shoot it very fast and accurate close, but can't count on me making hits at longer ranges.  

Is the TRP doable for IWB carry?  I am 6' 4" 283 LBS.  I am used to carrying under 30 ounces on my waist, this would be a change, but i'm not necessarily opposed to it.  If someone has a different pistol they recommend, please do.  
                                                 Thanks,
                                                              Woody
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 2:05:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Hi Woody,

I own two of them, and they are a tremendous value for the money. My frame is smaller than yours, and am able to carry easily with an OWB holster (I ask my wife if I'm "printing").  Anyway, you should be fine with carrying the TRP, with the only caveat is the ambi-saftey.  It may catch in clothes, and I periodically check while carrying to ensure the safety is on.  This is likely a problem with many ambi-saftey firearms.  You should be good to go.

Best,

Scuba
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 4:09:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Scuba Ed.  That helps quite a bit, I've never carried a full size 1911, and if it ever gets cold here OWB carry would be normal for me.

Just curious, are you in the Arlington area?  I worked at Hard Times cafe when I went to college.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 5:15:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I carry a TRP iwb in a tt Gunleather holster without any problems. With a good belt it isn't bad. I even keep two reloads on left side.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 3:16:32 AM EDT
[#4]
All you need is a good belt and holster.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 2:52:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm 5'7", 185 or so and have no problems keeping mine concealed in a Supertuck.

You're gonna need a real good belt though.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 5:26:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I carry mine in a Supertuck as well, and have no issues with it. But, It is heavier than my XDS-45...
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 4:04:16 PM EDT
[#7]
This has all been helpful guys thanks.  I am looking at a Dan Wesson Guardian in .45 to cut down on the weight......but I have also looked at the TRP, and Baers, and the HK45C........If only I had endless resources.  I may have to go to a range and rent a few guns before I make a choice...or two.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 12:21:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Not a TRP, but I manage to AIWB my MC Operator quite frequently, and my Colt RG even more than that. Both have Ambi-safties and both are worn in JMCK holsters. There's a grove molded in the holster that won't allow the safety to be disengaged. The same grove actually engages the safety during holstering. I've tried to get it to fail with an unloaded pistol and cannot do it.

Also, I'm 5'9" and 165 lbs. You should have no issues.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 8:22:26 PM EDT
[#9]
My first ever handgun was a Beretta PX4 storm (hold the applause....) and I carried that IWB for quite a while before i started buying up other handguns.  The first 1911 I bought I shot it and thought "holy shit, this is the gun of the gods" and then I carried it...with a t-shirt iwb. Then I thought, "why do they even make other guns?"
I'm not quite like that anymore and my carry rotates a bit but consists of nothing but full size handguns in 9mm and .45.  Currently my 5" Springfield 1911 is the only gun I feel like I can without a doubt carry the most comfortably.  I still shoot it a bit more accurately than my Glock or my M&Ps, but I can't shoot it as fast as I can those 9mms.
I'm 5'10" 175lbs and carry everything IWB year round without fail.  The overall thinness of the 1911 is a huge contributing factor to making it easy to conceal.  The weight is noticeable after a few weeks but a good belt helps.

You shouldn't have a problem carrying it. And extra mags are thin/easy to conceal too!
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 10:24:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I carry mine almost every day in a Galco Summer Comfort IWB. If I don't carry the TRP then I carry my Champion LW Operator but that's usually in the summer when I'm wearing shorts.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 10:49:45 AM EDT
[#11]
When I carried mine it was in a Comp-Tac C-TAC on a Wilderness Instructor belt.  I could even wear it under a tucked-in dress shirt.

With the cant that extreme the grip tucked into my spare-tire very nicely
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top