Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 2:15:58 AM EDT
[#1]
It is not my intention to upset, offend or disrespect anyone with my question, but seing as I am FAR from ever being considered a firearm expert and there fore in my hunble opinion unable to render a expert opinion on any fire arm, how many of you presently involved in this most lengthy of debates actually possess the qulifications requierd to be considered a firearm expert and for the uneducated such as myself what exact qulifications need one obtain before you can be considered a firearm expert and are there fore qualified to denounce a particular firearm as inferior when compaired to other similar firearms?

I have read a great many opinions offered in this thread passionately disparaging SF XD's as little more than over priced junk. Now I don't think it out of line for even a admitted firearms novice such as myself stateting that unless the persons dispensing these vilifications about SF XD's can offer up at least a minimul of of firearm expertise that would be readily acknowledged as minimally sufficient buy the accepted experts in feild of firearms, then I don't see how such statements should be held in any higher regard than by any other of the self proclaimed internet firearms expert that seem to over populate websites such as these.

Or am I safe to assume once I have fired 10K or 20Kor 50K through my firearm of choice i can now consider and proclaim myself to the firearms world as a "expert'?
Or am I missing something and are in need of being schooled by those more "net savy" than I?

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 8:34:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It is not my intention to upset, offend or disrespect anyone with my question, but seing as I am FAR from ever being considered a firearm expert and there fore in my hunble opinion unable to render a expert opinion on any fire arm, how many of you presently involved in this most lengthy of debates actually possess the qulifications requierd to be considered a firearm expert and for the uneducated such as myself what exact qulifications need one obtain before you can be considered a firearm expert and are there fore qualified to denounce a particular firearm as inferior when compaired to other similar firearms?

I have read a great many opinions offered in this thread passionately disparaging SF XD's as little more than over priced junk. Now I don't think it out of line for even a admitted firearms novice such as myself stateting that unless the persons dispensing these vilifications about SF XD's can offer up at least a minimul of of firearm expertise that would be readily acknowledged as minimally sufficient buy the accepted experts in feild of firearms, then I don't see how such statements should be held in any higher regard than by any other of the self proclaimed internet firearms expert that seem to over populate websites such as these.

Or am I safe to assume once I have fired 10K or 20Kor 50K through my firearm of choice i can now consider and proclaim myself to the firearms world as a "expert'?

Or am I missing something and are in need of being schooled by those more "net savy" than I?

View Quote
I'm not really an expert, just a two LE careers and at least 2,000 hours of tactical and firearms training, a good portion of which were combat handgun courses. Carried the following guns on duty: G27, G22, G27, Beretta 96G Elite, Briley Versatility, BHP 40, Sig Sp2022, Colt 1911, S&W 686, and off duty S&W 640, S&W 66, Sig P230 and I'm sure I've left something off.  I really like the XD in contrast to Glock for the reasons already stated, not because I read some shit on the boobie-web.  There's nothing cheap about the weapon except the price which apparently makes less-informed people come unhinged... You are spot on, there is a such thing as a qualified opinion.  Coming into a thread like this and saying "well its cheap and it sucks" and offering nothing more is simple trolling.  

Link Posted: 1/29/2016 3:37:50 AM EDT
[#3]
The only thing I'm not crazy about on the XDs are the fairly long trigger reset (compared to say a Glock) and perhaps the original XD line of pistols were/are a bit slick in terms of grip surface (nothing stippling or something couldn't resolve). I could nitpick but other than that I really like these guns and would take an XD 9 over Glock (even acknowledging the points noted above).
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 1:12:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm not really an expert, just a two LE careers and at least 2,000 hours of tactical and firearms training, a good portion of which were combat handgun courses. Carried the following guns on duty: G27, G22, G27, Beretta 96G Elite, Briley Versatility, BHP 40, Sig Sp2022, Colt 1911, S&W 686, and off duty S&W 640, S&W 66, Sig P230 and I'm sure I've left
something off.  I really like the XD in contrast to Glock for the reasons already stated, not because I read some shit on the boobie-web.  There's nothing cheap about the weapon except the price which apparently makes less-informed people come unhinged... You are spot on, there is a such thing as a qualified opinion.  Coming into a thread like this and saying "well its cheap and it sucks" and offering nothing more is simple trolling.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not really an expert, just a two LE careers and at least 2,000 hours of tactical and firearms training, a good portion of which were combat handgun courses. Carried the following guns on duty: G27, G22, G27, Beretta 96G Elite, Briley Versatility, BHP 40, Sig Sp2022, Colt 1911, S&W 686, and off duty S&W 640, S&W 66, Sig P230 and I'm sure I've left
something off.  I really like the XD in contrast to Glock for the reasons already stated, not because I read some shit on the boobie-web.  There's nothing cheap about the weapon except the price which apparently makes less-informed people come unhinged... You are spot on, there is a such thing as a qualified opinion.  Coming into a thread like this and saying "well its cheap and it sucks" and offering nothing more is simple trolling.  

well worded insightful reply. Although I never let them get under my skin, I do however tire of posting that are nothing more than tirade of insults and slurs that are devoid of any lagitamate facts to bask up said diatribes. I have learned to dismiss as personal biased BS any comments or evaluations that don't include anything that even aproaches factual to back up a persons detractions. And i know i personally am not quilified to declair a firearm as god , bad or otherwise. All I can di is relate my personal experiences.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 4:37:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I feel like the "practically a Glock with a grip safety" aspect turns most people off, I don't see a reason for a grip safety on my G19...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The grip safety is the dealbreaker for me.

I feel like the "practically a Glock with a grip safety" aspect turns most people off, I don't see a reason for a grip safety on my G19...

There is nothing negative about a grip safety.  Colt 1911's & clones have always had them and I've never heard of any malfunctions due to the grip safety on them or any other well made pistol.  It's nonsense to bitch about them.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 4:40:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There is nothing negative about a grip safety.
View Quote

Ask Blitz_308 about that...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/988015_My_CCW_Shooting_AAR__Now_with_Moar_Graphic_Pics_on_pg_29_and_30.html
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:01:44 PM EDT
[#7]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is nothing negative about a grip safety.

Ask Blitz_308 about that...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/988015_My_CCW_Shooting_AAR__Now_with_Moar_Graphic_Pics_on_pg_29_and_30.html

Not that unusual to get shot in the gun hand in a fight.  Anything can happen, and a grip safety or a safe action glock would let you down.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:49:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Having fired an XD .45 and a Glock 19, I definitely preferred the Springfield. The Glock, no matter how many I handle, just doesn't feel right in my hands, and I think they're butt ass ugly. That said, I'm not a huge fan of a grip safety as there was an incident a few years back with a Colt 1991A1 Commander that has scarred me from them. Not that my opinion overly matters as I own neither of them, nor am I planning on buying one... I like FNs.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 7:25:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't hate XDs, just can't get past the grip safety. Obviously, there is such a small chance it would ever matter, but with such good striker options, why? I think it was a major mistake to include one in the XD line, it alienated the XD from most striker pistol threads/reviews/comparisons for some odd reason.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:35:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I don't hate XDs, just can't get past the grip safety. Obviously, there is such a small chance it would ever matter, but with such good striker options, why? I think it was a major mistake to include one in the XD line, it alienated the XD from most striker pistol threads/reviews/comparisons for some odd reason.
View Quote
Of note is that I've not run into a single SAO guy that ever went CZ/Witness from a 1911 solely because the grip safety on a 1911, and the CZ pistols are as reliable as most stock 1911's (that haven't been tuned).

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 7:18:53 PM EDT
[#11]
After thousands of rounds through 1911's and an XDS, I have never had a round not fire because of the grip safety.  

I think that people complaining about it is an excuse looking for a problem.

I especially  like the grip safety when reholstering.  Stick the muzzle in and then push on the back of the slide without touching the grip safety.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:08:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm a Glock and 1911 guy but shoot Glock alot more because .45 ACP is expensive. I've tried the XD a few times, didn't care for it. I don't hate it as I think it's a decent pistol but I just prefer the Glock. However, I do believe the grip safety is a joke, just like the reasons why the grip safety is on a 1911 is a joke too. At least on the 1911 you can manipulate the slide without a "perfect" grip.  And I find it amazing that when the XD was first imported from Croatia as the HS-2000 nobody really cared, even at its $300 price point. But Springfield gets their hands on it and jack the price up $200, and all of a sudden it becomes all the rage?
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 4:54:15 PM EDT
[#13]
What's amazing is Springfield's marketing. They've translated the HS2000 into one of the most popular lines of handguns in this country. As far as cost, I hear a lot of people making the point that it was a good deal before Springfield put their name on it, but suddenly, it isn't worth the cost and in some cases it's labelled as junk. Springfield introduced the XD nearly 15 years ago and that is still the argument by some. Time has proven they're not crap and price is always based upon demand. I have an XDm and like it. Sometimes it's my favorite, sometimes not. I read that it isn't a "combat" gun or a "fighting" gun, I know we all like to think that we want the most reliable weapon when our lives are on the line, but if that really was the case, we would probably be carrying revolvers exclusively. We make trade-offs based on mag capacity, we may accept plastic sights when the rest of the gun is relatively reliable an so on. I'm perfectly happy defending myself with an XD, but I don't expect to find myself in Nakatomi Plaza fighting Hans Gruber and his cohorts. Most of what people dislike is anecdotal or not as big a deal as they make out.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#14]
I love my XD. I'm going to get more. Probably 2 more.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 2:47:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I have owned my XD45 Compact for a few years now. I wouldn't stop anyone from buying an XD the pistol has been great. I have zero problems with any ammo I use in it and it is my primary home defense weapon.

The downside I have with them is the smaller marketplace for aftermarket parts and costs of magazines.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 9:00:15 AM EDT
[#16]
XD at work with Houston PD....correction, that may be Deer Park PD...they were also there and have same colored uniforms...

Link Posted: 4/9/2016 11:15:42 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a 9mm XD Tactical, a 9mm XD Sub-Compact, a 45 XD Service , and a 45 XD Compact Tactical. I got rid of my Glocks. I had one of the first 17s imported into the US, and a early Glock 22. They never felt quite right in my hand, were perfectly reliable. I also never liked the takedown method with those tiny little tabs. Sold both of them. I feel much more comfortable with the XD line, no experience with the newer models. I have fired thousands of rounds without any hiccups. My XDs are the only plastic pistols I have that will digest all types of ammo including cheapo steel case which I do not shoot often. My HKs and Walthers do not like it so much. I would feel comfortable putting my life on the line with any of my XDs, or HKs, CZs, or Walthers. Most important is what YOU can can shoot better with, not what fanbois on either side spout. Are CZ75s junk because they are not adopted by military and police forces? Or are they one of the best pistols ever made?
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 2:30:03 AM EDT
[#18]
I know, I know Glocks have safeties, 3 of them according to the Glock website.  I'm also aware the best safety is between our ears.
I'm not attempting to provoke Glock owners but there really isnt  safety on the Glock. I'm not talking about the internal safety features to prevent drop fires or malfunctions, those safteys all come into play based off the trigger.  I'm just talking about the trigger.  The "mini" trigger or "safety" is located ON the trigger. You can't pull the trigger without disengaging the safety so what good is it?

I have a few newer savage rifle that come with the "safety" triggers but they also have a thumb safety switch. You must disengaged the safety switch before the trigger safety becomes a useful feature.

The only thing necessary to fire a Glock is to pull the trigger. How cold you snag the trigger or unintentionally pull the trigger without disengaging the safety. Really small fingers?

Earlier this spring at a steel plate shoot a guy shot himself in the ass while placing his Glock into the holster. He was using a Small of back holster and his shirt tail snagged the trigger, both of them. He now has an extra butt crack.

Being brought up on 1011s may have influanced me I admit. Every rifle I own has a safety, most of my hand guns do as well.

Here's when it's going to get hairy ( nomex suit on) The grip safety on the XDs was the selling point for me. Even if my shirt tail or some other unforeseen event occurs the pistol will not fire simply by pushing/pulling the trigger. It requires two actions, depressing the grip safety and intentionally engaging the trigger safety and pulling the trigger.

Ever notice how we tend to sweep our self's putting a pistol in a holster ? kidney time ? I've noticed when using small of the back holsters people tend to sweep them self's removing  the pistol from the holster, they tend to swing the muzzle inward  in towards themselves as the are coming out with the pistol. Swinging the pistol out avoids this potential hazard..but I digress.

I just feel that a simple trigger safety is not enough, it's far to easy to catch the trigger in something going on or coming out of the holster.

Other than that, and the incorrect grip angle Glock makes a damn fine pistol even considering the unsupported section of bass while the round is in the chamber.
I work at two ranges. Do a a lot of sweeping. Brass fired from a Glock is easy to pick out from the other thousand rounds of brass on the floor.  

Like I said, i'm not to start a Glock vs XD war. Just sharing my personal experience and preference.

And who cares in the XD was created Croatia , those have been killing each other forever, they should how to build a gun.

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 11:10:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm sure in Croatia they have computers, SPC Quality Control, modern CNC machines and CMMs.

They have college-educated mechanical engineers and metallurgists.

I think if you give them time, they will develop a track record just like Glock,
H&K and SIG.

I did NOT mention Italy, because the Beretta has a long history of cracked slides
and broken firing pins.

Sorry, buy when it comes to semi-auto pistols, the Beretta is not in the same league
as H&K, SIg or even the XD line.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm picking up my first XD, and I remember when they weren't Springfield's.

Have owned a couple of Glocks, their a nice beater or "looser" gun, which I figure the Springfield will be as well.  Springfield feels much better in my smaller hands than the Glock, and that's nothing more than personal preference.  

However, for some reason people tend to forget that in the late 80's German and Italian semi auto handguns ran just fine prior to Glocks coming out.

Croatia isn't Germany, Belgium, or Italy.

I'm sure in Croatia they have computers, SPC Quality Control, modern CNC machines and CMMs.

I think if you give them time, they will develop a track record just like Glock,
H&K and SIG.

I did NOT mention Italy, because the Beretta has a long history of cracked slides
and broken firing pins.

Sorry, buy when it comes to semi-auto pistols, the Beretta is not in the same league

Where do you people come up with this stupid shit? The 92 series/M9 series is a world class firearm with more contracts than the XDcan ever hope to have. Beretta had a steel issue 30 years ago, how is that a long history?
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 11:21:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:04:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I see a point being made from time to time about pricier mags for the XDs...I don't know about the 45 ACP or .40 mags, but are XD 9 mags really all that expensive? I think even now they are still around $30 shipped brand new, and not even 4 months ago I think Top Gun Supply was selling them for something like 20 bucks or so shipped...I don't think XD 9 mags are particularly expensive (XDM might be a different story though).
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 6:47:14 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I have 800 FLAWLESS rounds through my xd 9 and I have found it to be a great gun. What is with all the hate towards them I go on YouTube and see crazy torture tests done to them. They always pass too but when you get onto the forums all hell breaks loose. Can anyone explain this to me and maybe post a round count please I'm just curious?

Thanks
View Quote

"Grip Zone"
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 4:37:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Where do you people come up with this stupid shit? The 92 series/M9 series is a world class firearm with more contracts than the XDcan ever hope to have. Beretta had a steel issue 30 years ago, how is that a long history?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm picking up my first XD, and I remember when they weren't Springfield's.

Have owned a couple of Glocks, their a nice beater or "looser" gun, which I figure the Springfield will be as well.  Springfield feels much better in my smaller hands than the Glock, and that's nothing more than personal preference.  

However, for some reason people tend to forget that in the late 80's German and Italian semi auto handguns ran just fine prior to Glocks coming out.

Croatia isn't Germany, Belgium, or Italy.

H&K and SIG.

and broken firing pins.

Well apparently back in the 6th grade, some Croat pissed in Miami JBT's cheerios and it was all downhill from there..

Link Posted: 6/14/2016 8:18:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
XD at work with Houston PD....correction, that may be Deer Park PD...they were also there and have same colored uniforms...

http://www.khou.com/mb/img/resize/content.khou.com/photo/2016/04/07/tidwell%20chase%200df0_1460026344084_1451198_ver1.0.JPG?preset=media-grid-large

View Quote

Yeah a lot of HPD cops carry Glock 22 or 23s.  I have also seen a few 1911s, HKs, and M&Ps.  Not a lot of XD pistols.  They have to buy their own guns.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 2:32:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Yeah a lot of HPD cops carry Glock 22 or 23s.  I have also seen a few 1911s, HKs, and M&Ps.  Not a lot of XD pistols.  They have to buy their own guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.khou.com/mb/img/resize/content.khou.com/photo/2016/04/07/tidwell%20chase%200df0_1460026344084_1451198_ver1.0.JPG?preset=media-grid-large

Over the last 20 years they moved from anything from .38/9mm-.44 winmag to only a short list of guns.  When I left there were only three on the approved list, G22, Beretta Cougar 8040G and Sig P229. The cougar was dropped when production ceased and i think the 96G Centurion was added (?). I was already carrying a grandfathered 96G Elite I.

Link Posted: 7/10/2016 4:43:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 8:05:58 PM EDT
[#27]
My first XD was a 9mm sub-compact that I carried. Next up was an XD in 45. Somewhere along the line, the little buggers multiplied because now I have a XD tactical in 45, and 2 XDMs, one in 9mm and one in 45. The reason I went with the XD in the first place is that it by far had the best trigger of any of the factory guns that I shot before buying. I've since upgraded about half the collection with PRP triggers that make the XD really, really great to shoot. (Had an XDS in 45, didn't like it, factory dorfed the recall on it, ended up with XDM competition in 9mm so I was happy with that trade.)

The XD 4" and XD 5" in 45 have both been through classes. The first class was with the 4" and we shot about 500rds over 2 days. The second class was an advanced one and I used the 5" and shot 800+ rounds over 2 days. No jams, FTF/FTE, nothing but good shooting. When I take my next class, it will likely be with my 9mm XD just because the ammo is so much cheaper.

I'm fairly agnostic when it comes to guns. Right now, I have a Sig P226 in a holster on my hip. It's nice, in single action it's a tack driver. In double action, not so much. Overall, I like the XD line of guns, I shoot well with them, and they're a little over half the price of Sigs.

Haven't tried the new Mod.2 versions yet. Is there anything I'm missing with them?
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 9:42:20 PM EDT
[#28]
I used to think the 1911's were the ONLY pistols worth having. I finally received an XD9 in a trade that I was planning to sell. After shooting it, I now have an XDs9, and an XDm40. I like them all.
I also have a Glock G22, and it is a fine weapon, but it is not necessarily my go-to weapon, I would probably give that honor to the XDm40. As stated elsewhere, the grip angle on the Glock takes some getting used to, but that is usually done in seconds.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 7:23:58 PM EDT
[#29]
I have had the 45 XDS for many years and found the grip safety a non issue.  How can one dislike or hate the grip safety and still accept the 1911, from whence it all started???????????????
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top