Link Posted: 10/19/2015 6:03:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Glock or walk...
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 9:08:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I like my XDs.  I do not like the XDM line or the GRIP ZONE
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 8:50:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Well class was a success. There were 2 other XD carriers there. One a 5" XD Service and one an 3.8 XDM, both in 9mm.

No malfunctions with any of the firearms.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 5:04:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 10/23/2015 5:35:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Except that's not a grip zone XD.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 5:48:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have 800 FLAWLESSCall me when you hit 20K with 0 parts replacement and it still passes a factory armorers inspection as needing no new parts. rounds through my xd 9 and I have found it to be a great gun. What is with all the hate towards them I go on YouTube and see crazy torture tests done to them. They always pass too but when you get onto the forums all hell breaks loose. Can anyone explain this to me and maybe post a round count please I'm just curious?
  Thanks
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/23/2015 5:54:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They've been on the market for a damn while already and haven't done shit. Hell, they were under glass at shops during the AWB. In that same amount of time Glock went from unheard of to being in every Cop's holster across the country. I recall seeing them in 2002 and I know they were around before then. So I'm going to be generous here.... in the same time period. Glock went from being unheard in the early 1980s to being issued to a shit ton of cops and flyin off store shelves in the early 1990s and being in rap songs and the main characters of movies.

Slav Squat Pistol is trash

You can walk in to an Academy store here and pick up an XD for $400-$425 any day.  I've carried Glocks as duty guns (G27, G19, G22) and have nothing but respect for them as far as reliability but the only one I achieved any great accuracy with was actually the G27.  I don't dry fire much at all, with or without caps, except to check function so while I'll upgrade the pin, I don't see nearly enough reports of the pin breaking to cause me any distress.  I was actually surprised there were not more stories of the loaded chamber indicator breaking after I looked at the innards..

Pros (over Glock):
It hits where I point it. Fits my hand more like a CZ, friendly grip angle
Trigger doesn't feel like a toy, maybe because there is IMHO less plastic (?)
Controls are more robust design and are more friendly (and metal in the case of the mag release)
frame feels more substantial and has full rails (my preference)
One of the best finishes I've seen on handgun, and I've given it every reason to rust in South TX/Gulf Coast heat and humidity. Obviously the first gen had issues but that was years ago.
Standard sights are metal unlike the Glock.
I don't even notice the grip safety and haven't been able to create a situation where the weapon wouldn't fire (reasonably) because of my grip

The XD is on our approved list and we have a couple guys that carry them.  We haven't seen any issues so far, but neither have we with the issued G19's though many of the guys complain the G19 doesn't point well for them either.

I really think calling it trash is more than an exaggeration, it is completely without basis.

Old list from 2010 of agencies issuing or approving the XD, though things change over time, sometimes due to issues unrelated to the weapon's reliability.  I imagine Beverly Hills PD could afford Sig or H&K pistols:

AGENCIES ISSUING THE XD:
ABERDEEN TWP NJ PD
ARENAC Co MI SHERIFF
BEDFORD TX PD
BEVERLY HILLS CA PD
BOLIVAR Co MS SHERIFF
BOONE IA PD
BUTLER TWP PA PD
CAMERON PARISH LA SHERIFF
CASTLE ROCK CO PD
CEREDO WV PD
CHEYENNE RIVER SIOUX SD TRIBAL POLICE
CLEVELAND MS PD
DOWNINGTOWN PA PD
DUKE ENERGY - OCONEE SC SITE
DUKE ENERGY - CATAWBA SC SITE
DUKE ENERGY - MCGUIRE NC SITE
EL MONTE CA PD
GALVA IL PD
GENEVA IN PD
GLOSTER MS PD
GOODLETTSVILLE TN PD
GRAND CHUTE WI PD
GRANITE FALLS NC PD
GROTON CT PD
HOLLANDALE MS PD
KEWANEE IL PD
KETTERING OH PD
LEE Co NC SHERIFF
LINCOLN IL PD
LOUISA Co IA SHERIFF
LOWELL IN PD
LUNA Co NM SHERIFF
MEXICO MO PD:
NEWAYGO MI PD
NEWAYGO Co MI SHERIFF
NICHOLASVILLE KY PD
OKLAHOMA STATE BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION
OSAWATOMIE KS PD:
PERKINS TWP OH PD:
PERRYVILLE MD PD
PIMA AZ PD
RAYMOND MS PD
RIDGEFIELD BORO NJ PD
RIDGELAND MS PD
SIGNAL MOUNTAIN TN PD
SISKIYOU Co CA SHERIFF
SISKIYOU Co CA PROBATION
SMYRNA TN PD
SOUTHERN REGIONAL PA PD
SOUTHINGTON CT PD
SUMMERS Co WV SHERIFF
SYLVANIA OH PD
TRANSYLVANIA UNIVERSITY PD KY
UNIVERSITY OF AL BIRMINGHAM PD
USDA-APHIS DIV TX BORDER PATROL
VENUS TX PD
VERNON CA PD
WEBB MS PD
WEBSTER CITY IA PD
WICHITA KS PD:
WICHITA KS AIRPORT AUTHORITY
WINCHESTER TN PD
WINDSOR HEIGHTS IA PD
WOOD Co OH SHERIFF
WYANET IL PD

AGENCIES APPROVING THE XD:
AUDUBON Co IA SHERIFF
BALDWIN PARK CA PD
BEAUFORT Co NC SHERIFF
BEAUMONT TX PD
BOULDER Co CO SHERIFF
CALIFORNIA OFFICE OF INSPECTOR GENERAL
CHICAGO IL PD
COLLIER Co FL SHERIFF
DENVER CO PD
DES MOINES IA PD
DULUTH MN PD
ELKHORN NE PD
FOND DU LAC MN CONSERVATION DEPT
FREER TX PD
GARFIELD Co CO SHERIFF
GREENSBORO OH PD
HARLAN Co NE SHERIFF
HENDERSON NV PD
HHSC OFFICE OF INSPECTOR GENERAL LE DIV (TX)
HOUSTON TX PD
HOWE TX PD
HURON OH PD
IDAHO Co ID SHERIFF
JEFFERSON Co CO SHERIFF
LAS VEGAS NV PD:
LACLEDE Co MO SHERIFF
MARSHALL WI PD
MATAWAN BOROUGH NJ PD
MAYAGUEZ PUERTO RICO PD
MESA AZ PD
OHIO DNR
OKLAHOMA CITY OK PD
ORLAND HILLS IL PD: JIM MOLLOY
PAROWAN CITY UT PD
PIMA Co AZ SHERIFF
PUERTO RICO DOC
RENO NV PD
SALINA MI PD
TAOS NM PD
TARRANT AL PD
TERREBONNE PARISH LA SHERIFF
SALT LAKE Co UT SHERIFF
SAN DIEGO CA PD
SHAW MS PD
SILVERTHORNE CO PD
SILVIS IL PD
SOMERSET WI PD
WASHOE Co NV SHERIFF
UHRICHSVILLE OH PD
WEXFORD Co MI SHERIFF

STATE APPROVED:
The XD has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is Certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice.

ETA:  I meant the striker indicator not the loaded chamber indicator, and full rails as opposed to "tabs" such as the Glock has....

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The best responses are basically arguing that since Glocks, M&Ps, Sigs, etc are widely adopted by military and police, that the XD must be inferior. I can see some merit to the argument assuming that these pistols were adopted after extensive testing and experience. But, I haven't seen any evaluations that included the XD series.

If the internet existed back when Glocks entered the scene, I'm sure there would have been similar posts about all the "Glock hate." Which would have included the same arguments. Especially against some plastic gun that was made in Austria. Obviously, over many years, Glocks have proved to be one of the iconic modern pistols of all time.

Which leads to another argument that I haven't seen any real support for: they are made in Croatia. So what? The XDm runs well based on many reports and youtube torture tests. I've heard anecdotal accounts that they are not reliable, but not nearly enough for me to think that those instances were representative of the design. The concern over the roll pin is the only issue that I've heard about consistently, but even then it's mostly people concerned about the potential failure, not that it actually happened to them.

Another argument is that it's overpriced. That's more of an opinion. Compare a Glock to a Sig, and the Sig would be overpriced in many people's opinions.

Essentially, I haven't seen any good reasons for "the hate," it appears to boil down to opinion. Give it another 5-10 years, and perhaps the XDs will garner a reputation close to that of Glock. But Glock's reputation was earned over time with lots of hard testing and use. It will be hard for Xds to earn that reputation for themselves since they are not inherently better than the competition, as Glock was when it came out.
XD aren't adopted because they don't pass any evaluation testing. They break.... a lot. Glock on the other hand was tested, abused, shot the shit out of, and passed with flying colors. They damn work and work well. Look at what is happening with the M&P line, after initial adoption, agencies left and right are dropping them like a bad habit. Texas Department of Public Safety, LAPD, Atlanta PD, Charlotte Mecklenburg PD, etc.... before the internet, Glock was called combat Tupperware and everyone thought it would fail. Guess what... it was tested and proved all the haters and doubters were wrong

That is a major issue. No fucking real support. Springfield Armory can't enter the government market because of that. The roll pin is a critical issue. It fucking fails and the gun can stop working. Not good. The fact that it is made in Croatia isn't an issue. It is that fact that it is made in Croatia and it can't get any support other than from Croatia.the XDm is funny, why? Because you have two products that nothing interchanges on. The XDm suffers from the same issue as the XD... no support, no adoption, can't pass evals.

It is overprice. We aren't comparing Sig to Glock by price. They're completely different designs and methods of manufacturing. The XD is nothing but the HS2000 with a new name. When it was sold as the HS2000 it was a $298 gun. Slap the "eXtreme Duty" name and the Springfield Armory moniker on it and it suddenly rose $300 in price. It was fucking costlier than Glocks for a while. Nothing changed... just the name. It is not different than a Walmart Rivali Brand Toaster going for $15 now selling for $90 since the packaging says Bed Bath & Beyond. It is the same fucking toaster.

They've been on the market for a damn while already and haven't done shit. Hell, they were under glass at shops during the AWB. In that same amount of time Glock went from unheard of to being in every Cop's holster across the country. I recall seeing them in 2002 and I know they were around before then. So I'm going to be generous here.... in the same time period. Glock went from being unheard in the early 1980s to being issued to a shit ton of cops and flyin off store shelves in the early 1990s and being in rap songs and the main characters of movies.

Slav Squat Pistol is trash

You can walk in to an Academy store here and pick up an XD for $400-$425 any day.  I've carried Glocks as duty guns (G27, G19, G22) and have nothing but respect for them as far as reliability but the only one I achieved any great accuracy with was actually the G27.  I don't dry fire much at all, with or without caps, except to check function so while I'll upgrade the pin, I don't see nearly enough reports of the pin breaking to cause me any distress.  I was actually surprised there were not more stories of the loaded chamber indicator breaking after I looked at the innards..

Pros (over Glock):
Controls are more robust design and are more friendly (and metal in the case of the mag release)
One of the best finishes I've seen on handgun, and I've given it every reason to rust in South TX/Gulf Coast heat and humidity. Obviously the first gen had issues but that was years ago.
I don't even notice the grip safety and haven't been able to create a situation where the weapon wouldn't fire (reasonably) because of my grip

The XD is on our approved list and we have a couple guys that carry them.  We haven't seen any issues so far, but neither have we with the issued G19's though many of the guys complain the G19 doesn't point well for them either.

I really think calling it trash is more than an exaggeration, it is completely without basis.

Old list from 2010 of agencies issuing or approving the XD, though things change over time, sometimes due to issues unrelated to the weapon's reliability.  I imagine Beverly Hills PD could afford Sig or H&K pistols:

AGENCIES ISSUING THE XD:
ABERDEEN TWP NJ PD
ARENAC Co MI SHERIFF
BEDFORD TX PD
BEVERLY HILLS CA PD
BOLIVAR Co MS SHERIFF
BOONE IA PD
BUTLER TWP PA PD
CASTLE ROCK CO PD
CEREDO WV PD
CLEVELAND MS PD
DOWNINGTOWN PA PD
EL MONTE CA PD
GALVA IL PD
GENEVA IN PD
GLOSTER MS PD
GOODLETTSVILLE TN PD
GRAND CHUTE WI PD
GRANITE FALLS NC PD
GROTON CT PD
HOLLANDALE MS PD
KEWANEE IL PD
KETTERING OH PD
LEE Co NC SHERIFF
LINCOLN IL PD
LOUISA Co IA SHERIFF
LOWELL IN PD
LUNA Co NM SHERIFF
MEXICO MO PD:
NEWAYGO MI PD
NEWAYGO Co MI SHERIFF
NICHOLASVILLE KY PD
OSAWATOMIE KS PD:
PERKINS TWP OH PD:
PERRYVILLE MD PD
PIMA AZ PD
RAYMOND MS PD
RIDGEFIELD BORO NJ PD
RIDGELAND MS PD
SIGNAL MOUNTAIN TN PD
SISKIYOU Co CA SHERIFF
SISKIYOU Co CA PROBATION
SMYRNA TN PD
SOUTHERN REGIONAL PA PD
SOUTHINGTON CT PD
SUMMERS Co WV SHERIFF
SYLVANIA OH PD
VENUS TX PD
VERNON CA PD
WEBB MS PD
WEBSTER CITY IA PD
WICHITA KS PD:
WINCHESTER TN PD
WINDSOR HEIGHTS IA PD
WOOD Co OH SHERIFF
WYANET IL PD

AUDUBON Co IA SHERIFF
BALDWIN PARK CA PD
BEAUFORT Co NC SHERIFF
BEAUMONT TX PD
BOULDER Co CO SHERIFF
CHICAGO IL PD
COLLIER Co FL SHERIFF
DENVER CO PD
DES MOINES IA PD
DULUTH MN PD
ELKHORN NE PD
FREER TX PD
GARFIELD Co CO SHERIFF
GREENSBORO OH PD
HARLAN Co NE SHERIFF
HENDERSON NV PD
HOUSTON TX PD
HOWE TX PD
HURON OH PD
IDAHO Co ID SHERIFF
JEFFERSON Co CO SHERIFF
LAS VEGAS NV PD:
LACLEDE Co MO SHERIFF
MARSHALL WI PD
MATAWAN BOROUGH NJ PD
MAYAGUEZ PUERTO RICO PD
MESA AZ PD
OHIO DNR
OKLAHOMA CITY OK PD
PAROWAN CITY UT PD
PIMA Co AZ SHERIFF
PUERTO RICO DOC
RENO NV PD
SALINA MI PD
TAOS NM PD
TARRANT AL PD
SALT LAKE Co UT SHERIFF
SAN DIEGO CA PD
SHAW MS PD
SILVERTHORNE CO PD
SILVIS IL PD
SOMERSET WI PD
WASHOE Co NV SHERIFF
UHRICHSVILLE OH PD
WEXFORD Co MI SHERIFF

STATE APPROVED:
The XD has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is Certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice.

ETA:  I meant the striker indicator not the loaded chamber indicator, and full rails as opposed to "tabs" such as the Glock has....

I am not sure where you got that list of agencies from but one of them is wrong.

Last october I went through the Glock instructors workshop with two Castle Rock officers.  Their agency just finished a contract to go to Glock 17's.

On the one hand I do not hate XD's.  I am not a hard core hater of grip safeties.

Having said that, I got rid of the one xd I bought.  The grip safety was more sensitive than any of the half dozen or so 1911's I hav3e owned and dozens I have shot.

IT was no more accurate than my glock.

It has no where near the track record of the glcok as far as reliability and durability.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 6:38:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well class was a success. There were 2 other XD carriers there. One a 5" XD Service and one an 3.8 XDM, both in 9mm.

View Quote

Thanks for the update
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 7:54:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks for the update
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the update

Like was said above- The XD is a great pistol and it will serve you just as well as a Glock would. I didn't expect to see any problems from your after class report.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 11:31:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Except that's not a grip zone XD.
View Quote
No shit...

It is a manual safety XD-45.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 4:32:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I am not sure where you got that list of agencies from but one of them is wrong.

Last october I went through the Glock instructors workshop with two Castle Rock officers.  Their agency just finished a contract to go to Glock 17's.

On the one hand I do not hate XD's.  I am not a hard core hater of grip safeties.

Having said that, I got rid of the one xd I bought.  The grip safety was more sensitive than any of the half dozen or so 1911's I hav3e owned and dozens I have shot.

It has no where near the track record of the glcok as far as reliability and durability.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

O

Pros (over Glock):

AGENCIES ISSUING THE XD:

ABERDEEN TWP NJ PD

ARENAC Co MI SHERIFF

BEDFORD TX PD

BEVERLY HILLS CA PD

BOLIVAR Co MS SHERIFF

BOONE IA PD

BUTLER TWP PA PD

CASTLE ROCK CO PD

CEREDO WV PD

CLEVELAND MS PD

DOWNINGTOWN PA PD

EL MONTE CA PD

GALVA IL PD

GENEVA IN PD

GLOSTER MS PD

GOODLETTSVILLE TN PD

GRAND CHUTE WI PD

GRANITE FALLS NC PD

GROTON CT PD

HOLLANDALE MS PD

KEWANEE IL PD

KETTERING OH PD

LEE Co NC SHERIFF

LINCOLN IL PD

LOUISA Co IA SHERIFF

LOWELL IN PD

LUNA Co NM SHERIFF

MEXICO MO PD:

NEWAYGO MI PD

NEWAYGO Co MI SHERIFF

NICHOLASVILLE KY PD

OSAWATOMIE KS PD:

PERKINS TWP OH PD:

PERRYVILLE MD PD

PIMA AZ PD

RAYMOND MS PD

RIDGEFIELD BORO NJ PD

RIDGELAND MS PD

SIGNAL MOUNTAIN TN PD

SISKIYOU Co CA SHERIFF

SISKIYOU Co CA PROBATION

SMYRNA TN PD

SOUTHERN REGIONAL PA PD

SOUTHINGTON CT PD

SUMMERS Co WV SHERIFF

SYLVANIA OH PD

VENUS TX PD

VERNON CA PD

WEBB MS PD

WEBSTER CITY IA PD

WICHITA KS PD:

WINCHESTER TN PD

WINDSOR HEIGHTS IA PD

WOOD Co OH SHERIFF

WYANET IL PD

AUDUBON Co IA SHERIFF

BALDWIN PARK CA PD

BEAUFORT Co NC SHERIFF

BEAUMONT TX PD

BOULDER Co CO SHERIFF

CHICAGO IL PD

COLLIER Co FL SHERIFF

DENVER CO PD

DES MOINES IA PD

DULUTH MN PD

ELKHORN NE PD

FREER TX PD

GARFIELD Co CO SHERIFF

GREENSBORO OH PD

HARLAN Co NE SHERIFF

HENDERSON NV PD

HOUSTON TX PD

HOWE TX PD

HURON OH PD

IDAHO Co ID SHERIFF

JEFFERSON Co CO SHERIFF

LAS VEGAS NV PD:

LACLEDE Co MO SHERIFF

MARSHALL WI PD

MATAWAN BOROUGH NJ PD

MAYAGUEZ PUERTO RICO PD

MESA AZ PD

OHIO DNR

OKLAHOMA CITY OK PD

PAROWAN CITY UT PD

PIMA Co AZ SHERIFF

PUERTO RICO DOC

RENO NV PD

SALINA MI PD

TAOS NM PD

TARRANT AL PD

SALT LAKE Co UT SHERIFF

SAN DIEGO CA PD

SHAW MS PD

SILVERTHORNE CO PD

SILVIS IL PD

SOMERSET WI PD

WASHOE Co NV SHERIFF

UHRICHSVILLE OH PD

WEXFORD Co MI SHERIFF

STATE APPROVED:

I would guess a few of them have changed due to reasons outside of the reliability of the platform, this list is a few years old.  I'll bet some departments left Glock over the last few years as well.  This list simply illustrates that its passed a few trials with a few departments...  I know of one department that ordered Sigs but Sig couldn't deliver the order during the same fiscal cycle so they picked up Glocks to avoid forfeiting the funds.  Stupid, but it shows how flawed the "proliferation=quality" theory is.

Link Posted: 10/25/2015 5:03:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Great guns.  Haters gonna hate...
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 10:38:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I've run my XD guns in classes. My "high count" gun has ~20k rounds and hasn't had to have anything replaced. That's reliable enough for me, particularly since the only Springfield gun I have ever had a problem with was the XDS45. (It eventually got replaced with an XDM 5.25 9mm by the factory repair shop. Hardly a lack of support there.)

When I was first looking for a carry weapon, I shot an XD, a couple of Glocks, S&W, H&K, Sig, Ruger, Taurus, Walther, and a Browning Hi Power. At that time, the XD had by far the best factory trigger of any that I shot. (The Taurus 24/7 in 9mm back then had those ribbed rubber grips that were fantastic. My son rocks that now. The new ones are plastic.)

I will say that the PRP trigger kits installed in the XD/XDM line REALLY make a huge difference in accuracy and time to second shot. I actually had the Springfield shop put in one on my XDM45 5.25. Very nice.

Would I put up an XD against a Glock or M&P every day of the week. I'm not seeing the drawback of the grip safety. In fact, a manual safety really is an extra step that merely delays getting the gun on target if your having to draw from concealment. The XD doesn't suffer from that problem. I have had no reliability problems with any of my XD in 9mm or 45 shooting all kinds of ammo. Have shot ~1000 rounds of .45 in a day one time. Hurt my hand a LOT more than the gun. (Was actually sore for the next 3 days.)

I'm assuming the main reason why the number of LEOs using the XD is far lower than Glock or S&W is price. But, realistically, I don't think they need the highly discounted LEO business since they're selling all they can make as it is.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:11:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I put a few thousand rounds through my XDm40 4.5 last year and about the same through an XDm9 5.25 this year. Both with PRP trigger kits and dawson sights. They worked fine, no malfunctions under adverse weather conditions. I rarely cleaned them unless they got covered in mud.

I'd expect a glock or M&P to do the same, and have seen it from other shooters.

I switched to a tanfoglio late this year and can't figure out why I didn't move out of the polymer platform for comp shooting sooner. The plastic fantastics have since been dedicated to my carry guns, I have no reservations in knowing they'll work just fine.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:15:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Hate the grip safety unless it's a 1911
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:13:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I have an XD 45 Service with the thumb safety (BTW the thumb safety was the reason I bought this gun) if they offered some of the other models with a thumb safety I would by them also. I really like the gun and for the record I am not a gunfighter, just a guy that shoots a lot.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:29:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I have an XD 45 Service with the thumb safety (BTW the thumb safety was the reason I bought this gun) if they offered some of the other models with a thumb safety I would by them also. I really like the gun and for the record I am not a gunfighter, just a guy that shoots a lot.
View Quote
So what you're saying is you have a fascination with overly complex and complicated designs with redundant features that add nothig to the safety or performance of he firearm in any way, shape, or form. Okay, got it....

Their version of the Safe Action System is fine, the firing pin block is fine. The grip safety isn't and neither is an additional manual safety. Only thing left for it is a cross bolt safety like the Bren Ten.

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:35:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So what you're saying is you have a fascination with overly complex and complicated designs with redundant features that add nothig to the safety or performance of he firearm in any way, shape, or form. Okay, got it....  

Their version of the Safe Action System is fine, the firing pin block is fine. The grip safety isn't and neither is an additional manual safety. Only thing left for it is a cross bolt safety like the Bren Ten.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You assume everyones needs are the same as yours.
Simple question, would you carry a loaded Glock (or any other stryker fired without those redundant safety features) unholstered in your waist band, gun pocket in a motorcycle jacket, throw it in a saddle bag etc. ?
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:48:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Simple question, would you carry a loaded Glock (or any other stryker fired without those redundant safety features) unholstered in your waist band, gun pocket in a motorcycle jacket, throw it in a saddle bag etc. ?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't carry any firearm like that.

I did all the time before my motorcycle accident. There was nothing in the pocket that would possibly snag or catch the trigger for my Glock 27. I wore an Icon Contra Jacket.

No, I don't leave guns in a saddle bag.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 11:31:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I did all the time before my motorcycle accident. There was nothing in the pocket that would possibly snag or catch the trigger for my Glock 27. I wore an Icon Contra Jacket.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting as it has never bothered me to carry a decocked FS series Beretta in my waist band as the firing pin rolls out of the hammer area when decocted, I have never considered placing a loaded stryker fired weapon with out a safety in my gun pocket, but hey we all think a little different and I don't leave guns in my saddle bag either when I get of the Bike to go into a Restaurant, Motel etc I remove the decocked gun and place it in my waist band again (which I may do several times a day). Damn the more I think about this the more I realize the Beretta may be the perfect gun for me.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 11:58:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Interesting as it has never bothered me to carry a decocked FS series Beretta in my waist band as the firing pin rolls out of the hammer area when decocted, I have never considered placing a loaded stryker fired weapon with out a safety in my gun pocket, but hey we all think a little different and I don't leave guns in my saddle bag either when I get of the Bike to go into a Restaurant, Motel etc I remove the decocked gun and place it in my waist band again (which I may do several times a day). Damn the more I think about this the more I realize the Beretta may be the perfect gun for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA I do prefer my 96 over my 92 as I am a 40 S&W kind of guy.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 12:09:36 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't Mexican carry a handgun so I don't have an issue of retention. I don't want my gun to fall out of my pants.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:08:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm picking up my first XD, and I remember when they weren't Springfield's.

Have owned a couple of Glocks, their a nice beater or "looser" gun, which I figure the Springfield will be as well.  Springfield feels much better in my smaller hands than the Glock, and that's nothing more than personal preference.  

However, for some reason people tend to forget that in the late 80's German and Italian semi auto handguns ran just fine prior to Glocks coming out.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:12:22 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Have owned a couple of Glocks, their a nice beater or "looser" gun, which I figure the Springfield will be as well.  Springfield feels much better in my smaller hands than the Glock, and that's nothing more than personal preference.  

However, for some reason people tend to forget that in the late 80's German and Italian semi auto handguns ran just fine prior to Glocks coming out.

View Quote

Croatia isn't Germany, Belgium, or Italy.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 6:13:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My point, which apparently went right over your head per my reference to Germany and Italy, was the fact that Sig Sauers and Berettas were just as reliable as the Glocks.

Link Posted: 12/4/2015 11:56:52 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like how you can safely reholster the XD by rocking your hand back to release the grip safety, which is great when using concealed carry holster under clothing. I've actually had to do that numerous times under a considerable amount of stress while working plainclothes assignments with Glocks, 1911's and a Beretta (96G Elite).  There is some risk in that situation that can be reduced when you have a grip safety..

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 5:49:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Nothing at all wrong with Springfields. I currently own a XD45 Tactical, and a 1911. Both have fairly high round counts, and I don't recall having any kind of failure from either of them. Haters will always be haters!! I have fired Glocks, M&P's, and other similar types. But, the Springfields seem to fit my hand the best. In the end, its mostly more about personal preference than anything.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Pros (over Glock):

View Quote

That's a very good list of the pros of XDs over glocks.

I've owned a few Glocks and an XD and an XDM. After detail stripping all of them, I'm quite confident in saying that the Springfields are made with higher quality components and are just simply higher quality products, albeit not by a wide margin.

Another frequently repeated bit of XD hate is that you're paying $500 for a $300 gun.  This is technically true, but it's no different that Glock in this regard.  Back in the day you could purchase a hs2000 for quite a bit less, but you didn't have the warranty and support services of Springfield backing it up, and this certainly adds value and costs money.  The same thing can be see when comparing prices of the old Daewoo K5 vs the Lionheart-branded versions. If Glocks had originally come into the country in a similar fashion, you'd have seen a similar price difference. In reality both XDs and Glocks are $300 pistols selling for about $500 retail.

While I do think that Springfields are higher quality, I'd probably lean towards Glock if I were outfitted a department, since Glocks have much better aftermarket support, wider availability of parts, and are easier to service.

For and individual it comes down to a matter of taste. For me, the XDM has overtaken the Glock for defensive use when I choose to carry a full-size pistol, mostly for ergonomic reasons (points more naturally for me and the grip texturing strikes the perfect balance between grippiness and not sticking to clothing. )

Link Posted: 12/8/2015 5:49:39 PM EDT
[#29]
The grip safety haters would stroke out if they shot my XD.  It also has a thumb safety.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 11:24:59 AM EDT
[#30]
My first semi-auto handgun was a XD9 4in, then a XDS45 when they first hit.
I made fun of my buddies with Glocks, touting the extra features of the XD.

I was a Springfield Fanboy.

I picked up a G26 G3, and shot it better than my full sized XD9.
I sold off my XD's and never looked back.
I have 9 glocks now.
My only remaining Springfield is a Range officer in 9mm.

I just shoot Glocks better, they fit me better, and I don't think the triggers even compare.

Both guns are reliable, but I only have a few thousand rounds through XD's, whereas I've got over 50k through my G34 alone.

My final Thought, I think the XD is a good imitation of a glock, but they tried too hard to add features that glock didn't have.
The grip safety isn't needed, neither is the firing pin indicator.
If you're trying to hit that market, why try so hard to make a gun similar, yet different.

Link Posted: 12/9/2015 11:21:01 PM EDT
[#31]
I love my XD45.

The XD series of pistols just plain fit my hand better. As a result I shoot better with them than Glock or S&W. Looking at the internals it's really not much different than a Glock or my Sig Pro. I've never had a malfunction and the grip safety isn't an issue in any way.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 10:21:50 AM EDT
[#32]
H
Quoted:

This is part of it.  I also hear XD owners talk about how they feel better in the hand.  

No that being said.  Look at all the custom builders and see what they specialize in when it comes to polymer guns.  M&P and/or Glock.  

Now ask anybody who seriously shoots a LOT of rounds in adverse conditions like classes etc and  ask seasoned instructors and what guns they see break the most vs run through everything.  

Now list all of the LE depts. fielding them vs. M&P, Sig or, Glock.

Thats your real answer.  

For your casual shooter that needs an HD/SD gun they are perfectly acceptable.  But I hear consistently they don't hold up over consistently long beatings in classes etc.  

I personally dont like the feel of them and think they feel very unbalanced,  

Balance is one of the most underrated qualities of a combat handgun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I did the LGS thing most people that bought XDs were not typical gun people and were intimidated by the glock safety.

This is part of it.  I also hear XD owners talk about how they feel better in the hand.  

No that being said.  Look at all the custom builders and see what they specialize in when it comes to polymer guns.  M&P and/or Glock.  

Now ask anybody who seriously shoots a LOT of rounds in adverse conditions like classes etc and  ask seasoned instructors and what guns they see break the most vs run through everything.  

Now list all of the LE depts. fielding them vs. M&P, Sig or, Glock.

Thats your real answer.  

For your casual shooter that needs an HD/SD gun they are perfectly acceptable.  But I hear consistently they don't hold up over consistently long beatings in classes etc.  

I personally dont like the feel of them and think they feel very unbalanced,  

Balance is one of the most underrated qualities of a combat handgun.

I saw a shooting show on Thunder Ranch.  Where Clint Smith was using a 5." Tactical XD.  I am sure he fires a lot of rounds.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 10:22:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Grip zone lmao.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 3:10:23 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

They don't make their 1911s either. They're all IMBEL production.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

To the OP subject line: because they're big and heavy with sharp edges and tacticool styling, and have low mag capacity and a silly high bore axis compared to an equivalent Glock or M&P. They have a "cocked" indicator, as if you could somehow have it un-cocked. Also grip safety (marketing gimmick).

They're a consumer-grade, consumer-marketed pistol that some agencies allow, vs LE/Mil-grade pistol that is also available to consumers.

I say all this loving Springfield 1911s. But then again Springfield doesn't make XDs...
They don't make their 1911s either. They're all IMBEL production.  
That changed about 2-3 years ago. Their 1911 forgings are US-sourced now, as has been reported on various 1911 boards, and it is quite apparent when examining their current production 1911s. The fit and finish is much better recently. The "N"-prefix serial numbered Loadeds and Mil-Specs from Brazil are no longer sold. Only the "NM"-prefix versions are available now.

Link Posted: 12/13/2015 3:35:19 PM EDT
[#35]
I love some of the comments....

XD is "Made in Croatia"
So....

I'm a Mech. Eng and have been in design and manufacturing for 30 yrs now. Quality is about materials and process. It has NOTHING to do with the country of manufacture! A CNC machine does not care what country it is in. If it holds 0.0005", it will do it anywhere.

Most would agree that MAC Tools are professional grade / quality tools. Guess what, they are now Made in CHINA. Does that mean they are inferior in quality to the US Made MAC Tools of yesterday. Not at all -> materials and process.....

You could argue Made is Croatia has the 'no support issue' because it is foreign country. Austria is only 25 miles or so from Croatia. This true of all foreign made products. If you are worried about this aspect, buy a spare for parts / back up (which IMO you should have anyway regardless of brand).

I have had both Glock and XD. I took both completely apart. IMO both have similar construction and design quality. I now only have XD. Why? I shoot it far better. It fits my hand better. If I picked a spot on the wall, close my eyes, point at it, then open my eyes. I was always pointing high with the Glock and almost dead on with the XD. So I guess the XD has 'natural point' for me.

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 1:16:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

XD is "Made in Croatia"
So....

View Quote

Agreed.

Additionally, some would be best served learning their history. Croatia and the other areas that made up the former state of Czechoslovakia have a very long history of making some of the finest firearms in the world. It is part of their culture and heritage. Hitler wanted it badly during WWII for precisely that reason. The Skoda Works was located there and was the most advanced weapons plant in the world. If country of manufacture were a consideration, I would absolutely be MORE inclined to by a weapon made in Croatia.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 1:46:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Made in Croatia? Hell, they have been shooting each other over there so long they have gun design all figured out.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 2:16:39 PM EDT
[#38]
biggest problems i've seen w/ XDs:

-mags (they work great...til you use them in any sort of non-clean area...the mags are very prone to locking up...i've seen literally a grain of sand stop the bullets from feeding in its tracks numerous times)

-grip safety: i get why its there...its stupid on ANY modern design imo and i've seen a couple instances where if the internals f*ck up, the grips safety makes your gun really safe...ie: useless

-*parts availability: as i understand since i've since left XDs, the parts market has expanded...but, the guns themselves are still a PITA to work on yourself...so send it back to SA!

other than that, nothing really wrong w/ them at all imo
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 2:26:23 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Agreed.

Additionally, some would be best served learning their history. Croatia and the other areas that made up the former state of Czechoslovakia have a very long history of making some of the finest firearms in the world. It is part of their culture and heritage. Hitler wanted it badly during WWII for precisely that reason. The Skoda Works was located there and was the most advanced weapons plant in the world. If country of manufacture were a consideration, I would absolutely be MORE inclined to by a weapon made in Croatia.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

XD is "Made in Croatia"

So....

Agreed.

Croatia has nothing to do with Czechaslovkia... they were part of Yugoslavia.... the Kingdom of Servs and Croats.

Learn your history.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 5:34:07 PM EDT
[#40]
[Croatia has nothing to do with Czechaslovkia... they were part of Yugoslavia.... the Kingdom of Servs and Croats.    

Learn your history.

My mistake. You are correct. Both share a lot of common characteristics. My major point was a long history of excellence in firearms manufacturing.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 9:35:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Since I first posted this I had 800 rounds through the XD-9. I now have 2,000 flawless round through the gun now. No problems at all what so ever and I have sent it to the Springfield custom shop to the carry package done to it. Which includes a 4.5 lb trigger and night sights. The gun is very accurate I can achieve head shots at 30 ft with ease. It has been reliable and accurate I don't know what else more you want from a gun. I really think that 2,000 rounds is a good test for a firearm. Anyways, I thought I would post this quick update to prove to everyone that the xd is a great and reliable gun. This thread has gotten more popular then I could of ever have thought.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 11:25:09 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

[Croatia has nothing to do with Czechaslovkia... they were part of Yugoslavia.... the Kingdom of Servs and Croats.    

Learn your history.
My mistake. You are correct. Both share a lot of common characteristics. My major point was a long history of excellence in firearms manufacturing.
View Quote
Skoda Works has nothing to due with Yugoslavia. It appears that you're entire perception is based on the Czechs. Which have a history of fine weapon design and development. The Yugos are more of a bunch of cloners and get help from outside parties. FN and then the USSR.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 11:54:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Skoda Works has nothing to due with Yugoslavia. It appears that you're entire perception is based on the Czechs. Which have a history of fine weapon design and development. The Yugos are more of a bunch of cloners and get help from outside parties. FN and then the USSR.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Learn your history.

And it's Serbs and Croats. If you are going to call someone out in a tech forum, do it correctly please.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 11:45:35 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm new to handguns. I was all into the Glock is the best gun out there, but I got some good advice, pick the gun that feels good in your hand. So I went to the gun store, tried the Glock, felt like a brick in my hand, tried S&W, liked it but then the XDM was my next choice and my search was over, it felt just right. Took it to the range and right from the start I was able to hit close groups where I wanted them. I absolutely love this gun. That said the Glock is a great weapon too so to each his own. Don't understand the hate for the grip safety either, I mean your hand is already there when positioned properly, correct?
Anyways love this gun!
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 5:52:46 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
And it's Serbs and Croats. If you are going to call someone out in a tech forum, do it correctly please.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Learn your history.

I was just going to post the bikini pics of the Croatian President that were published but remembered this wasn't GD

Link Posted: 1/5/2016 6:02:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm new to handguns. I was all into the Glock is the best gun out there, but I got some good advice, pick the gun that feels good in your hand. So I went to the gun store, tried the Glock, felt like a brick in my hand, tried S&W, liked it but then the XDM was my next choice and my search was over, it felt just right. Took it to the range and right from the start I was able to hit close groups where I wanted them. I absolutely love this gun. That said the Glock is a great weapon too so to each his own. Don't understand the hate for the grip safety either, I mean your hand is already there when positioned properly, correct?
Anyways love this gun!
View Quote

Same basic story. I had a G19 and 'learned' to shoot it well but it never felt right. Went to Cabelas and handled every similar gun in the store. When I picked up the XD, it just clicked. Bought it - put two boxes thru it and then took it to Front Sight for a 4 day pistol course.

Shot this - 1" paster - 5 or 7m line - 5 rnds - one hole --- Had to get up in front of the class and blah, blah about the rules of accurate shooting. No way I could have done that with the Glock....

Yep XD's suck....
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 11:05:54 PM EDT
[#47]
I don't mind the guns and don't much care where they are from. I like the original 4" service sized XD (and Mod 2) over Glock and the M&P line. I wouldn't call it a "Glock with a grip safety" or clone or what have you as they are made quite differently. The XDM series is a bit too funky, but there's no doubt that they are good, serviceable guns.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 8:42:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure in Croatia they have computers, SPC Quality Control, modern CNC machines and CMMs.

They have college-educated mechanical engineers and metallurgists.

I think if you give them time, they will develop a track record just like Glock,
H&K and SIG.

I did NOT mention Italy, because the Beretta has a long history of cracked slides
and broken firing pins.

Sorry, buy when it comes to semi-auto pistols, the Beretta is not in the same league
as H&K, SIg or even the XD line.

Link Posted: 1/8/2016 12:06:02 AM EDT
[#49]

Wow....
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I'm sure in Croatia they have computers, SPC Quality Control, modern CNC machines and CMMs.

I think if you give them time, they will develop a track record just like Glock,

H&K and SIG.

I did NOT mention Italy, because the Beretta has a long history of cracked slides

and broken firing pins.

Sorry, buy when it comes to semi-auto pistols, the Beretta is not in the same league

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

H&K and SIG.

and broken firing pins.

As much as i like the XD and Sig i think you're selling the Beretta 92 platform short. My Dad and I both carried Berettas as duty weapons, his with now 20+ yrs of use (replaced a 1911) and I'm pretty sure there's no Bruniton left on the pistol. Its a 92FS and he works at his dept's academy and shot it weekly for years with no parts failures.  I carried a 96G Elite for a few years. They are damn fine weapons with very smooth actions, i never could get past the long DA trigger. The Cougars were also highly underrated. I have zero experience with their polymer guns.  

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top