Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/22/2015 2:58:15 PM EDT
I have 800 FLAWLESS rounds through my xd 9 and I have found it to be a great gun. What is with all the hate towards them I go on YouTube and see crazy torture tests done to them. They always pass too but when you get onto the forums all hell breaks loose. Can anyone explain this to me and maybe post a round count please I'm just curious?
  Thanks
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 3:01:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 3:58:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I love my XD40 Tactical so much, I just bought the same in 45acp.

I don't care if it was made in croatia

Link Posted: 9/22/2015 4:32:33 PM EDT
[#3]
The grip safety is the dealbreaker for me.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 5:58:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I feel like the "practically a Glock with a grip safety" aspect turns most people off, I don't see a reason for a grip safety on my G19...
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#5]
It's not the gun, it's the owners.

Most of them want to own a glock, but they hate glock owners so much that they buy a wannabe glock and try and prove it's the same thing with silly statements like this "I have 800 FLAWLESS rounds through my xd 9 and I have found it to be a great gun"

I've put more rounds than that through a glock in one two day shooting class.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 6:30:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Most of them want to own a glock, but they hate glock owners so much that they buy a wannabe glock and try and prove it's the same thing with silly statements like this "I have 800 FLAWLESS rounds through my xd 9 and I have found it to be a great gun"

View Quote

My duty glock 21 required 3000 rounds before I could carry it. I'm around the 15000 mark now lol
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 6:33:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

You with your Glock, me with my XDs...multiple times...multiple courses/matches/long shooting weekends of practice.  I don't hate Glock or Glock owners, I just prefer the XD/XDM/XDS line.

You are coming across as the exact same person you are describing above.  Project much?
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Me too, and they cost more than a Glock.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I liked the grip safety when i bought my XD45 back in the day.  That was an easy shooting and reliable pistol.  I traded it away about five years ago.  That being said, every XD I've handled feels cheap compared to M&Ps or Glocks.  Not to mention, they are often more expensive than the aforementioned M&P or Glock.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 7:10:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You with your Glock, me with my XDs...multiple times...multiple courses/matches/long shooting weekends of practice.  I don't hate Glock or Glock owners, I just prefer the XD/XDM/XDS line.

You are coming across as the exact same person you are describing above.  Project much?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I was thinking.....
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#11]
When I did the LGS thing most people that bought XDs were not typical gun people and were intimidated by the glock safety.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 7:14:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm gonna need you to flowchart that for me.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 11:01:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I like 45... The G21 always had the drawback of needing huge mits to wrap around the grip. I finally bought one for duty but so many other guns felt better, the XD, M&P and even the Taurus fit my hand better in the 45. Glock finally felt the pressure and came out with the SF probably like the day after I picked up my 21 ... I sold my 21 and picked up the SF about 6 months later.

Springfield has good customer service. Other than one recall, I haven't heard of any ongoing issues with the XD and I could see why someone would prefer them even over a Gen 4 Glock. Probably the only real negative I can point to personally are mags, I like the Glock polymer coated Stainless reinforced design, the are inexpensive, plentiful and durable. I'm sure the metal mags of the XD are good but I think their is an edge to Glock there.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 11:09:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
When I did the LGS thing most people that bought XDs were not typical gun people and were intimidated by the glock safety.
View Quote

This is part of it.  I also hear XD owners talk about how they feel better in the hand.  

No that being said.  Look at all the custom builders and see what they specialize in when it comes to polymer guns.  M&P and/or Glock.  

Now ask anybody who seriously shoots a LOT of rounds in adverse conditions like classes etc and  ask seasoned instructors and what guns they see break the most vs run through everything.  

Now list all of the LE depts. fielding them vs. M&P, Sig or, Glock.

Thats your real answer.  

For your casual shooter that needs an HD/SD gun they are perfectly acceptable.  But I hear consistently they don't hold up over consistently long beatings in classes etc.  

I personally dont like the feel of them and think they feel very unbalanced,  

Balance is one of the most underrated qualities of a combat handgun.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 11:58:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I have nearly 40,000 rds in a XD-40 Tactical.  Worn out or broke a few springs over the years but otherwise its been a very reliable Limited-10 and 3-gun pistol since 2006.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 12:11:17 AM EDT
[#16]
If you need the approval of us forum monkeys to enjoy your XD then you are doing it wrong.

No hate here although I owned an XD when they first came out and got rid of it because the "as good as a Glock" slide rusted whenever you looked at it wrong.  I guess the Croatians had to up their game and put a decent coating on the slides.

They are an okay pistol but why?  There is a ton more aftermarket support for a Glock and M&P than there is for the XD pistol.  Now the HK VP series has entered the market and is going to give them all a run for their money.

The big question I have is what large police agency has adopted the XD?

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 7:08:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you need the approval of us forum monkeys to enjoy your XD then you are doing it wrong.

No hate here although I owned an XD when they first came out and got rid of it because the "as good as a Glock" slide rusted whenever you looked at it wrong.  I guess the Croatians had to up their game and put a decent coating on the slides.

They are an okay pistol but why?  There is a ton more aftermarket support for a Glock and M&P than there is for the XD pistol.  Now the HK VP series has entered the market and is going to give them all a run for their money.

The big question I have is what large police agency has adopted the XD?
I do know that Chicago pd allows them to be carry as a personal side arm but it's not issued.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 7:37:52 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote
That's why I sold my XD45.

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 7:56:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This is part of it.  I also hear XD owners talk about how they feel better in the hand.  

No that being said.  Look at all the custom builders and see what they specialize in when it comes to polymer guns.  M&P and/or Glock.  

Now ask anybody who seriously shoots a LOT of rounds in adverse conditions like classes etc and  ask seasoned instructors and what guns they see break the most vs run through everything.  

Thats your real answer.  

For your casual shooter that needs an HD/SD gun they are perfectly acceptable.  But I hear consistently they don't hold up over consistently long beatings in classes etc.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats your real answer.  

Okay, I'll play.  WHAT classes?  WHAT instructors?  Gunsite?  Clint Smith?  Travis Haley?  Because NONE of them say XDs fail with more regularity than Glocks or M&Ps.  NONE.  But, you seem knowledgeable with lots of first hand experience, so what classes and what instructors?  I've shot in plenty of matches and classes, and the only pistol I can point to that has more problems than others are 1911s...and I wouldn't say it's exponentially more often either.  

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:02:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Okay, I'll play.  WHAT classes?  WHAT instructors?  Gunsite?  Clint Smith?  Travis Haley?  Because NONE of them say XDs fail with more regularity than Glocks or M&Ps.  NONE.  But, you seem knowledgeable with lots of first hand experience, so what classes and what instructors?  I've shot in plenty of matches and classes, and the only pistol I can point to that has more problems than others are 1911s...and I wouldn't say it's exponentially more often either.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats your real answer.  

Oh yay a pissing match in a tech forum.  Fun
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:09:51 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I always hear this but have never seen and XD grip safety cause an issue in real life.  1911's have grip safeties and no one bitches about them.  I have had four XD's, still own three.  I have an XD-40 in all three sizes and and XD-45ACP Tactical (traded for a S&W 627) and in probably 60,000 rds across all four handguns I can't think of any time where the grip safety has stopped me from doing anything.  That includes USPSA, IDPA, and 3-gun matches; CCW training and practice and general carry both concealed and around the family farm.  It has been completely transparent to my use of the XD.

Its a good excuse for a hater to not buy an XD but in reality its pretty much a non issue.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:19:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I always hear this but have never seen and XD grip safety cause an issue in real life.  1911's have grip safeties and no one bitches about them.  I have had four XD's, still own three.  I have an XD-40 in all three sizes and and XD-45ACP Tactical (traded for a S&W 627) and in probably 60,000 rds across all four handguns I can't think of any time where the grip safety has stopped me from doing anything.  That includes USPSA, IDPA, and 3-gun matches; CCW training and practice and general carry both concealed and around the family farm.  It has been completely transparent to my use of the XD.

Its a good excuse for a hater to not buy an XD but in reality its pretty much a non issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And yet again, an XD owner getting overly sensitive and calling everyone who doesn't bow down at the XD altar a hater.

This is just like pickup truck arguments - Ford, GM and Dodge all build great pickup trucks.  And yet people will fight to the death arguing that one is better than the other.  I never understood that.  And my personal belief is that the most vocal people are the ones trying to convince themselves that they made the right choice.

When I was first in the market for a .45 polymer pistol, I rented all three (M&P, Glock and XD) and shot them back to back.  I shot them all pretty well, and I actually shot the XD the best.  It's not like I shot the other two poorly, but I chose the Glock on the totality of facts.  The XD isn't a bad pistol; it's just not my first choice.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:21:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

So what you're saying is that the problem is Glock fan boys.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:23:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

And yet again, an XD owner getting overly sensitive and calling everyone who doesn't bow down at the XD altar a hater.

This is just like pickup truck arguments - Ford, GM and Dodge all build great pickup trucks.  And yet people will fight to the death arguing that one is better than the other.  I never understood that.  And my personal belief is that the most vocal people are the ones trying to convince themselves that they made the right choice.

When I was first in the market for a .45 polymer pistol, I rented all three (M&P, Glock and XD) and shot them back to back.  I shot them all pretty well, and I actually shot the XD the best.  It's not like I shot the other two poorly, but I chose the Glock on the totality of facts.  The XD isn't a bad pistol; it's just not my first choice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hello pot meet kettle.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:27:44 AM EDT
[#25]
$298 Slav Squat pistol is not worth $500 due to name change
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:30:58 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't ask anyone to bow down to the XD alter.  But the grip safety is a non-issue that only haters bring up.  If you don't want an XD and like something else that is just fine.  But to say you like the XD but the grip safety is a deal breaker clearly points to the fact that you have not actually run an XD for any length of time.  It's a bull shit reason.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:35:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:44:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:37:49 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I liked how the the XD shot, I just dont like safeties. The only thing that should be between me and defending myself is my trigger finger.

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 1:46:46 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I liked how the the XD shot, I just dont like safeties. The only thing that should be between me and defending myself is my trigger finger.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How is the grip safety and different than the trigger safety on an Glock, XD, M&P etc?

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 1:57:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 2:00:49 PM EDT
[#32]
It's not that they are bad pistols. It's just that they are over priced.

It's like Remington buying the rights to the Canik TP9SA/V2/SF and charging $500 because their name is on it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 2:07:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only sensitivity I see is from you.  I own like 10 Glocks, but greatly prefer XDs when dealing with .45s as they don't feel like holding a 2x4. Can't wait till they come out with one in 10mm.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 2:28:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Argument... Going... Nowhere.

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 2:47:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Do NOT lube the firing pin channel. Had FTF in two separate pistols because of this and was almost injured by a charging wild boar because of it.

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 2:55:17 PM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 2:56:28 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

It's not that they are bad pistols. It's just that they are over priced.

It's like Remington buying the rights to the Canik TP9SA/V2/SF and charging $500 because their name is on it.
View Quote
It isn't a case of "like". That is exactly what the fuck happened. SA bought the rights to market the Slav Squat Pistol in the US and charge an extra $300 on it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

but what if you picked one up for $185, would it be worth it.....

edit mispelling
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 3:03:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Over 3k flawless rounds through my XDm.  Carry it in the winter, love it.  

OP, if the grip safety doesn't bother you, forget what the others say and shoot the shit out of yours.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 3:06:45 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

edit mispelling
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

edit mispelling
Sure... but I ain't spending money on something that isn't worth it.

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 3:52:24 PM EDT
[#41]
I had two XD's.  An XD45 Tactical and XD45 Service.

Nothing inherently wrong with them.  They went bang and were reasonably accurate.
After awhile they started to remind me of the firearms equivalent of beige.
Kinda of dull and boring.  Kinda clunky too.
I sold both of them and went back to my old beat-up Commander.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 6:37:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Over 3k flawless rounds through my XDm.  Carry it in the winter, love it.  

OP, if the grip safety doesn't bother you, forget what the others say and shoot the shit out of yours.
View Quote

I like the grip safety a lot and it's not a big pain at all
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 7:29:01 PM EDT
[#43]
People talk about all the mods that you can do to Glock and M&P usually that means an inferior product. I have a glock and a SA and I like them both. If there is anyone that wants to be a test Dummy for me and my SA let me no.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:06:20 PM EDT
[#44]
I love these threads. Anyone who has an inferior XD line pistol(s) that's contemplating selling theirs let me know.I wouldn't mind adding another one or two the range bag.

Haven't had any issues with either my XDm9 or my XD45 Service both of which easily have over 5K rounds.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:23:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I love these threads. Anyone who has an inferior XD line pistol(s) that's contemplating selling theirs let me know.I wouldn't mind adding another one or two the range bag.

Haven't had any issues with either my XDm9 or my XD45 Service both of which easily have over 5K rounds.
View Quote

If we are going there......Anyone looking to dump an XD9 Subcompact or XD9 Mod.2 Subcompact (with - yes- GRIP ZONE!), I will gladly give you some cash to take it off your hands.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 11:09:40 PM EDT
[#46]
I purchased new, an older XDm 9mm. I thought the trigger sucked...put in Springer Precision....trigger still sucks Pistol shoots great and I have used it for several classes. I recently purchased an XDm 45. The trigger is great and it is an awesome shooter. For my ccw I carry a Glock 30s. After I tried on the XD models, the Glock fit my hand the best...sooo now I picked up a G17 it was a refurb with a threaded barrel, waiting to shoot this one with my Osprey on it. I also on a few 1911s. Love these and the way they shoot!....I like them all...except that Taurus .38 I got rid of that pretty quick. Almost felt I should throw it away so it won't disappoint anyone else.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 11:18:45 PM EDT
[#47]
The best responses are basically arguing that since Glocks, M&Ps, Sigs, etc are widely adopted by military and police, that the XD must be inferior. I can see some merit to the argument assuming that these pistols were adopted after extensive testing and experience. But, I haven't seen any evaluations that included the XD series.

If the internet existed back when Glocks entered the scene, I'm sure there would have been similar posts about all the "Glock hate." Which would have included the same arguments. Especially against some plastic gun that was made in Austria. Obviously, over many years, Glocks have proved to be one of the iconic modern pistols of all time.

Which leads to another argument that I haven't seen any real support for: they are made in Croatia. So what? The XDm runs well based on many reports and youtube torture tests. I've heard anecdotal accounts that they are not reliable, but not nearly enough for me to think that those instances were representative of the design. The concern over the roll pin is the only issue that I've heard about consistently, but even then it's mostly people concerned about the potential failure, not that it actually happened to them.

Another argument is that it's overpriced. That's more of an opinion. Compare a Glock to a Sig, and the Sig would be overpriced in many people's opinions.

Essentially, I haven't seen any good reasons for "the hate," it appears to boil down to opinion. Give it another 5-10 years, and perhaps the XDs will garner a reputation close to that of Glock. But Glock's reputation was earned over time with lots of hard testing and use. It will be hard for Xds to earn that reputation for themselves since they are not inherently better than the competition, as Glock was when it came out.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 11:28:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I have 800 FLAWLESS rounds through my xd 9 and I have found it to be a great gun. What is with all the hate towards them I go on YouTube and see crazy torture tests done to them. They always pass too but when you get onto the forums all hell breaks loose. Can anyone explain this to me and maybe post a round count please I'm just curious?
  Thanks
View Quote

Not Glock.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 11:36:17 PM EDT
[#49]
I'll take an XD over a Glock.  Don't have either - took a P99 over an XD.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 11:58:18 PM EDT
[#50]
I own a Glock and Xds

I think both are great handguns.

Glock is Gen 3 22 .40cal the XDs are subcompact 9 and 40

Got both the XDs really cheap for around $300ea - both were like new / used when I nabbed them. Doubt I would pay top dollar for one... but at the price I got them I am happy.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top