Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2015 9:17:03 AM EDT
I am trying to decide between an XDM 3.8 full size (19 rd) or the new Mod 2 Service (16 rd).

Will be a CCW pistol.

I have no problem carrying a full size 1911 (TT leather belt and holster).

My issue is I will be buying what ever I decide on without putting the pistol in my hand and looking for those that have experience with either pistol.

Thoughts?

Pics?
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:51:53 AM EDT
[#1]
XD are range guns.  The striker retainer roll pin can break without warning bricking the gun and requiring armorer level repair.  I'll never own another one; shit design.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:38:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
XD are range guns.  The striker retainer roll pin can break without warning bricking the gun and requiring armorer level repair.  I'll never own another one; shit design.
View Quote

.  Lemme guess what you shoot.

OP, I do not have a 3.8 full size, but I do have a 3.8 compact in 9 and 45, and I think they are just about perfect.  Don't have a MOD 2...yet.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the sub compact mod 2 and I like it alot. I had a 3.8XDM and sold it for the Mod 2. The Mod 2 grip I liked better. Now considering the fullsize mod 2 or going to a 1911 in the 9mm. But I will be keeping my sub compact to carry with the 16 round mag.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 3:45:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

My early production XD45 with somewhere around 5000+ rounds through it must be extra broken then.  Off to throw that shit in the trashcan.

OP, I like the Mod2 a lot.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 10:32:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I really like the 19 round capacity of the XDM but for everyday carry I think the Mod 2 might work.

I'm still trying to find a Mod 2 I can put my hands on locally.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:49:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought a 3.8 and had read on the roll pins, so I spent a couple bucks for a heavier roll pin. No issues so far but I have only a few hundred rounds thru it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 8:35:24 AM EDT
[#7]
XDm 3.8 compact 9 here.  Love it!  Carry it daily.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 1:06:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I second JetPig's post (sorry if I mispelled, going from memory).

I have an XDm compact 3.8 9mm and love it. I shoot it monthly at IDPA and periodically at the range. No problems at all with it. Probably about 2500 rounds downrange. I did have a couple FTF issues when using steel cased ammo, but no issues with brass. The steel wasn't as smooth and I think it just wouldn't slide well in the steel magazines.

I love the 13 round compact magazine for everyday carry, plus a spare 19 rounder in my pocket.

IMO, get the compact version so you have the option of the shorter mag or the full size one with the grip extensions. I don't see any reason to get the 3.8 with a full size grip. If you want the full size grip, get a 4.5 version.

Link Posted: 9/27/2015 12:58:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I second JetPig's post (sorry if I mispelled, going from memory).

I have an XDm compact 3.8 9mm and love it. I shoot it monthly at IDPA and periodically at the range. No problems at all with it. Probably about 2500 rounds downrange. I did have a couple FTF issues when using steel cased ammo, but no issues with brass. The steel wasn't as smooth and I think it just wouldn't slide well in the steel magazines.

I love the 13 round compact magazine for everyday carry, plus a spare 19 rounder in my pocket.

IMO, get the compact version so you have the option of the shorter mag or the full size one with the grip extensions. I don't see any reason to get the 3.8 with a full size grip. If you want the full size grip, get a 4.5 version.

View Quote

This post.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#10]
My buddy just bought a mod 2 to replace his G27.  It seemed pretty decent but I'm going to get the XDm compact because I already have a full size one.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 9:38:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I dry fire my xdm's thousands of time a month with no pin problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top