Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2015 1:57:25 PM EDT
Put it on layaway at the local shop, will pick it up in two weeks.

First handgun, first 1911.

What ammo/spare mags/holster does everyone prefer? I intend to use it for carry.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 3:27:40 PM EDT
[#1]
6 years of Chip McCormick Power mags without a problem, from RIA mil-spec to Springfield Operator to SIG to Kimber Commander.  

As for holsters, pick one.  I prefer kydex for IWB, but began with leather and have no real knock on it.  Same with ammo: ought to eat anything, though it's always a good idea to test your carry ammo to see how it acts.  

Link Posted: 3/15/2015 10:54:27 AM EDT
[#2]
The belt is the key in carrying a 1911. Buy a Wilderness Instructor 2-3 inches over your normal belt size if you go IWB. Get the 5 stitch.

If you go leather be prepared to spend $100 to &150 for a good belt. Milt Sparks is good place to start for the best leather IMHO. Wait right now is 12-14 weeks for delivery.

OK, the gun. I bought one 2 months ago. Shot lights out right out the box. I added a Wilson drop in BT and a C&S drop in ignition set. Also fitted a Ed Brown tactical safety. Great gun, it's showing some promise for a total of $834 total with aftermarket parts.

edit: context
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 7:19:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies so far, I'll start looking into those belts. Anyone carry OWB? Or is IWB preferred?
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 2:12:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Mags = CMC Power Mags, Wilson ETM or Checkmate 8rd

Very sturdy belt.

IWB holster that has "wings" (ie attachment back and front of holster like Milt Sparks VMII or clone, or Crossbreed or clone).

Pancake style leather double/single mag pouch or BladeTech or clone single clip on.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 2:53:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The belt is the key in carrying a 1911. Buy a Wilderness Instructor 2-3 inches over your normal belt size if you go IWB. Get the 5 stitch.

If you go leather be prepared to spend $100 to &150 for a good belt. Milt Sparks is good place to start for the best leather IMHO. Wait right now is 12-14 weeks for delivery.

OK, the gun. I bought one 2 months ago. Shot lights out right out the box. I added a Wilson drop in BT and a C&S drop in ignition set. Also fitted a Ed Brown tactical safety. Great gun, it's showing some promise for a total of $834 total with aftermarket parts.

edit: context
View Quote

I did that too once.  Looked like this:

OP if you're going to add a beavertail, get an Ed Brown jig and do it right. That drop-in from Wilson is supposed to be for Colt guns only, as they have a longer tang which minimizes that unsightly and uncomfortable gap.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 9:01:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Well I hate IWB holsters, so I use Galco concealable belt holsters or the Combat Master. As far as carry ammo, I've been using Speer Gold Dot ammo for more than ten years. I like the seven round Wilson 47 mags for carry. The eight round 47D is also a good choice if the gun has no problems with them. I had one and had a lot of problems when using it in my SA Champion, but I think it was just an issue of needing a new spring.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:19:29 AM EDT
[#7]
chip mags are the way to go.. but..if money is tight.. i run several ProMags 8rd.  gtg for me.  holsters.. i have used several.  Galco N3 is gtg...DeSantis IWB is gtg as well for the money.  i run all kinds of ammo b/c my 1911's will eat just about anything i put in them.  i buy alot from Ga. Arms.  have been running them for over 10yrs consistently and never had a FTF..FTE..or Squib rd.  i dropped a Wilson Combat beavertail in one of mine...and personally..i like the lil gap.  i am somewhat big handed..long fingers and deep palm..so the gun sits deep in my hand.  never really had issues with slide-bite but for some reason i really like the way the beavertail sits with me.  so.. with like any gun and add-ons... it's what you like the best.  enjoy your new piece
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:55:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Iwb is my preferred carry for anything now. I have owb options in kydex (good medicine makes awesome kit on the EE). Leather will be easier on your finish if that's important to you - but wear on a 1911 is a beautiful thing. I use a kolbeson kydex IWB for my TRP and have a JM kydex on order for my LW operator.

Check out the milt sparks summer special II - brownells is a great place to get them sans wait. - if you want leather.

CMC powermags have been the best over the years in my springers - worth the money. With that said, I've had great luck with the OEM mags as well (metalform I think...).

ETA: wilderness belts are the shit. I have 2 depending on what I'm carrying - the 5 stich is for glocks or the LW champion operator and I use the one with the CSM stiffener when it's TRP time.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Iwb is my preferred carry for anything now. I have owb options in kydex (good medicine makes awesome kit on the EE). Leather will be easier on your finish if that's important to you - but wear on a 1911 is a beautiful thing. I use a kolbeson kydex IWB for my TRP and have a JM kydex on order for my LW operator.

Check out the milt sparks summer special II - brownells is a great place to get them sans wait. - if you want leather.

CMC powermags have been the best over the years in my springers - worth the money. With that said, I've had great luck with the OEM mags as well (metalform I think...).

ETA: wilderness belts are the shit. I have 2 depending on what I'm carrying - the 5 stich is for glocks or the LW champion operator and I use the one with the CSM stiffener when it's TRP time.
View Quote

I'll probably do a kydex OWB from goodmedicine to start with. Looks like good stuff. Wear isn't an issue to me, this'll be a working gun for sure

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 8:14:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'll probably do a kydex OWB from goodmedicine to start with. Looks like good stuff. Wear isn't an issue to me, this'll be a working gun for sure

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DSC_4815 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top