Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2015 10:29:37 PM EDT
I've had my heart set on either a Colt Xse or the parkerized  Loaded. I can't find those locally. I can find range officers all day long. If I decide to go that route, is it settling  for an inferior pistol due to it being cheaper? I do like the looks except for those rear sights.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 8:07:10 AM EDT
[#1]
For my use of the RO would rate above those other pistols..

Your end use should decide.

The ro is not a carry gun, but can be made into one with changing of the rear sight to maybe the two that will fit the cut (LPA).
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:04:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Is it just a target pistol? I see lots of people buying them. Man it looks great. And I could have the rear sight changed pretty easily I guess.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:43:03 AM EDT
[#3]
The RO is basically the same gun as the loaded models, sans front serrations and a target sight instead of a fixed novak sight, plain black front instead of tritium. Trigger pull is in the same weight range of 5-6lbs.

My RO is very accurate and had a decent trigger out of the box. Heine makes a nice fixed rear replacement (as I hate target sights, got the RO for a good price that is why I own one), it's big and ugly compared to a normal fixed sight but it's well made and works great.

As to your sight reference, only Heinie and Harrison Design offer LPA replacement sights. That is the main drawback of the RO, limited rear sight options.

Look at each gun and see which one offers the features you like the most.

I cannot speak to the Colt, as I have never owned one.

Here is mine with the Heine.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:28:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is it just a target pistol? I see lots of people buying them. Man it looks great. And I could have the rear sight changed pretty easily I guess.

View Quote

The RO was marketed towards the "entry level" compentition shooter (USPSA, IDPA, Bulleyseye, etc).

1911s are like Hogs, no one keeps them stock.

The rear sight you can swap out yourself

eta
a lot of people purchased this gun just for the lack of FWD cocking serrations and changed the gun as required to suit their needs.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:34:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The RO is basically the same gun as the loaded models, sans front serrations and a target sight instead of a fixed novak sight, plain black front instead of tritium. Trigger pull is in the same weight range of 5-6lbs.

My RO is very accurate and had a decent trigger out of the box. Heine makes a nice fixed rear replacement (as I hate target sights, got the RO for a good price that is why I own one), it's big and ugly compared to a normal fixed sight but it's well made and works great.

As to your sight reference, only Heinie and Harrison Design offer LPA replacement sights. That is the main drawback of the RO, limited rear sight options.

Look at each gun and see which one offers the features you like the most.

I cannot speak to the Colt, as I have never owned one.

Here is mine with the Heine.

<a href="http://s332.photobucket.com/user/bad2006z71/media/Springfield%20Armory%20Range%20Officer/20150302_121509_zpsohlfjawe.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m359/bad2006z71/Springfield%20Armory%20Range%20Officer/20150302_121509_zpsohlfjawe.jpg</a>

View Quote

I bought one today. I lIke that Heinie rear sight. Man this thing will look awesome with some black grips.

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:36:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:03:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Congrats. Have fun slinging lead.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 8:56:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I wanted a Colt XSE too and a local dealer has one, but I couldn't justify paying $300 more for it than the SA Loaded model. I ended up finding a new Loaded model for $729 last weekend. That made getting the SA a no-brainer.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 12:00:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd prefer a RO with Harrison sight over a loaded.

Ymmv
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I like the RO because it has not front serrations and comes with a GI rod instead of FLGR.  I do not care for target sights but that would not be a deal breaker.  If I did not already have a Loaded and a TRP I would get an RO over a Loaded.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top