Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2015 1:32:58 PM EDT
Got my first new handgun in several years, the Springfield SDX-4.0 4" .45 ACP (All photos are mine)

Totally not happy with the trigger - everyone is saying it has to "break-in" but I'm not sold on that....
The grip is hard, but it fits me damn near perfectly.  It feels better in my hand than does a Glock.  And I've carried a glock since 1991...

After taking it to the range to make sure it worked before I carry it as my new CCW, I have decided that I really really like this thing, but it not without its issues.  

The accuracy on this thing is amazing. I fired my first 8 rounds from exactly 21 feet with this result:

Also on the pro side is just the overall ergonomics of this thing. It just feels easier to aim.  There's something about the grip angle that's just more natural.  It's as if it just wants to be on target.
Cons:
The stock trigger is complete crap.  This trigger WILL get dumped and replaced.  I don't care if it changes after a break-in period - it's  helll and will be yanked out.
Even though the grip is on the pro side, I'm also putting it on the con side.  After shooting 200 rounds today, my hand is torn up. I feel like I was jerking off a barbed wire fence. My palm pad is actually sore.

Verdict: This is my new CCW weapon. I won't be shooting 200 in a self defense scenario...I'm too fat to carry that much ammo in my pockets. I may try to put some mole skin on the back of the grip the next time I go for an extended shoot, but ONLY for practice. For carry, I WANT the grip to bite into my hand like a snapping turtle.
I actually put together a detailed video review of the weapon, should anyone care to watch it:

I can't get the youtube link working so you'll have to click here for a full video review that I did
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 3:07:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Glad you are happy with it, I had the same experience as you. I ended up picking up PRP spring kit plus sear which made a world of difference. Mine did smooth out after about 600 rounds.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 1:42:01 PM EDT
[#2]
My PRP spring kit just came in today.
I'm going to install it AFTER my digital trigger scale comes in - I want good data on exactly what the difference was pre and post installation.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 6:30:18 PM EDT
[#3]
So, before installing the kit, the stock trigger was measuring in at 8 pounds 13 ounces.
After installing the trigger kit - 5 pounds 12 ounces.  So, I dropped 3 pounds - but I would REALLY like to get it to a flat 4 pound trigger.

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:18:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So, before installing the kit, the stock trigger was measuring in at 8 pounds 13 ounces.
After installing the trigger kit - 5 pounds 12 ounces.  So, I dropped 3 pounds - but I would REALLY like to get it to a flat 4 pound trigger.

View Quote

How many rounds have you put through it? Also try polishing the sear, I've heard that makes a difference.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 9:17:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How many rounds have you put through it? Also try polishing the sear, I've heard that makes a difference.
View Quote

As of now, +/- 500 with probably another 600 dry fire cycles.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top