Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2015 1:24:31 AM EDT
Hello all,
I recently got my XDS bi tone in 45acp after wanting one for so long. I however have made an odd discovery. I have had the gun for about 2 months or less and I just now really noticed that the barrel has all these crazy marks on them. they aren't in any order or pattern; just random seemingly. I read around the web that the bi tone model has this issue but the thing is I Have not fired a single round through it yet, been too busy.
Should I email or call SA? Everyone else says it doesn't affect the operation but im just curious.
Ill post pics soon. I also have a XDM in 9mm that I have had for well over 5 years with thousands of rounds and it looks better than the XDS barrel.
Also the rear of the guide rod looks chewed the hell up
Xds

Xds

Xdm

Both

Xdm

Rear of xds guidea rod, recoil spring

Xds
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:18:26 PM EDT
[#1]
The black in that nitride coating is just a color additive.  It will wear but the metal will still hold the properties of the nitro carburization process.  Every barrel is going to wear slightly different.

If the gun functions fine i wouldnt sweat it at all.  IF the gun develops rust, then you have an issue that should be taken care of by the manufacturer.

Lastly, that barrel looks bone dry.  Do you lube the gun at all?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:05:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Wiped off lube to provide clarity to the marks for your viewing pleasure
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Try digging your thumbnail under the frame inserts and see if any of them are loose in the plastic.  It looks like the barrel is banging around inside the slide when it's fired- almost as though one of the inserts isn't engaging the slide groove.

Just my best guess.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:04:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Totally normal.  Use a better lube if you want to minimize but I have a Glock 34 that looks twice as bad but it has some miles.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:50:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I repeat, I have not fired a single round through this firearm. Never.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:15:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I repeat, I have not fired a single round through this firearm. Never.
View Quote

Springfield did.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top