Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2014 10:23:44 PM EDT
All measurements are with a walmart fish scale and coat hanger, but I did check the fish scale with calibrated weights from work.  It was low by 1.5lbs from 3# to10#.  All my numbers are adjusted as such.  I tried to put the hanger in the same spot (where my finger goes) every time, but that was hard.  I always pulled straight back in line with the bore.  You could milk the angle to get lower pulls, but I was careful to NOT do that.  I also did NOT put the hanger on the very tip of the trigger ever.  This cheats the numbers.

PRP XDS spring kit review and Galloway Precision Speed Sear Review

1          XDS Factory  was 8 ½ to 8 ¾ lb. with a little creep.  Mostly smooth, hard, nice pull

2          Installed striker spring – 6.9 lb and the trigger safety would NOT reset unless you pushed forward on the trigger with your finger

3          Installed Striker Safety Spring – 6.9lb no change

4          Installed Disconnector spring, Trigger Safety spring, GSS, and Sear spring – Trigger pull went up to 7.1lb, but was FULLY FUNCTIONAL.  Trigger pull goes up because the Sear spring is reduced power and it pulls the trigger back less, but without this the trigger safety would not reset.

5          for the fun of it I installed the FACTORY striker spring and the Galloway Precision Race Sear.  Pull was 8.5 lbs, but for some reason the trigger just felt “better”.  The Galloway Precision sear is smooth and the striker would just drop without you expecting it to.  The Galloway makes it possible for a good shooter to go faster and is DEFINITELY an improvement, I just don’t know if its worth $50 to all shooters.  Carefully stoning the factory sear would probably get you as smooth as the GP, but something else is different about the GP that my eyes just can’t see, though my fingers feel it.  GP does have a much sharper corner where the striker engages than factory.  No amount of stoning could get the factory that sharp as you would have to remove the hardened outer surface.

6          Still factory Stiker spring, Changed to factory sear, but installed a PRE-Recall Grip Safety Spring – 6.9# and very nice.  This must have been what pre-recall triggers felt like. Most of what little grit was left disappeared once I removed the GSS.

7          Factory Sear, Re-installed Grip Safety Spring, Re-installed PRP reduced power Stiker spring, and Fluff and buff – 6-3/4lb and nice.  Fluff and buff removed much grit.  This was probably on the disconnector/trigger bar surface as well as sear/striker surface.

8          All PRP parts, fluff and buff, then put Gallaway Precision Sear back in.  Trigger pull went up to almost 7lbs, but got COMPLETELY SMOOTH AND CRISP.  You don’t expect the striker to fall.

9          All above improvements, but PRE-RECALL GSS – about 4-4.5#, but my scale is not accurate that low.  I want this trigger on my competition gun…….

10         Re-installed the GSS.  Bent the sear leg of the GSS down about 5-7 degrees – 4.5 to 4.75#. PEFECT AND DONE.

Summary.  

The PRP kit is a great value.  Combine it with a fluff and buff and you could drop 2 lbs.  Gun has shot 300 rounds of Tul since and no issues.  The Reduced Power Striker Spring and Reduced Power Sear Spring are all you NEED.  The rest are just fine tuning and make minimal difference.  The Disconnector spring may make a more noticeable click on reset though, but it is hard to install.

The Galloway Precision Sear is a definite improvement.  You could get half its benefit with a careful polish/buff on the factory sear.  But if you want everything possible to help your XDS get the GP, it will raise trigger pull by ¼ lb or less at the benefit of just feeling smoother and better.  Its kind of like the difference between a stock glock and a finely polished G42 trigger.  By the way, you can’t detect that extra 1/4lb increase in trigger pull.  Only a gauge will show you that as you will swear the GP sear made it lighter.

Bending the GSS can make a huge difference with a fluff and buff, and its free.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top