BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2014 10:59:58 AM EDT
Posted this in GD & got nothing.
Springfield Ultra Compact 1911 .45
Anybody have one? Like no like?
Has a slotted slide & ported barrel.
Don't see it on the Springfield website so I'm guessing it's an older/discontinued model?
I took one on trade.
Well got it home tonight & damn my luck it looks like the spring is broken.

No biggie, Midway has em.
This one is $7.89
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/117389/wolff-recoil-spring-1911-springfield-ultra-compact-v-10-20-lb?cm_vc=ProductFinding

OR should I go with the Wilson that has the full length guide rod for $31.99?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/112710/wilson-combat-2-piece-full-length-recoil-spring-guide-rod-with-24-lb-recoil-spring-1911-springfield-ultra-compact-v10-stainless-steel
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 11:10:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I think it was discontinued mid 90s.   Only saw one at  the LGS back then.  Let us know how it works.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 11:11:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Shot it friday, it's accurate as hell but I guess due to the short barrel it doesn't get enough speed.
Penetration is shit, I stapled a paper plate to a DEAD oak tree & ALL the rounds were stuck flush just under the bark & 1 even bounced off.
I was suprised that even with a broken slide spring it still functioned fine.
Even though it feels exelent in my hand I think I will be selling or horse trading it into a full size.
I just cant get past the bullet bouncing off at 10yds.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 11:18:09 AM EDT
[#3]
DAmn.  Not much oomph there.  Next time you see that oak tree put a few in it with a 4 or 5" gun and report back.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 1:06:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Will do, I've never been much of a pistol guy but I have a Walther .40 & a Ruger .357 mag that I will give the tree another test with.
I am used to my 45-70's, 30-06 & .375 H&H that punches completely thru 12" telephone poles.
I will take & post some pics as well.
Out of town now so might be tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Shot it friday, it's accurate as hell but I guess due to the short barrel it doesn't get enough speed.

Penetration is shit, I stapled a paper plate to a DEAD oak tree & ALL the rounds were stuck flush just under the bark & 1 even bounced off.

I was suprised that even with a broken slide spring it still functioned fine.

Even though it feels exelent in my hand I think I will be selling or horse trading it into a full size.

I just cant get past the bullet bouncing off at 10yds.
View Quote
I like the V10 Ultra Compact. I had one in stainless that my brother now owns. They are loud as hell and produce a monstrous fireball, but they are fun to shoot and have very tame recoil. I recommend shooting 185.gr ammo out of them.

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 6:43:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a v12 that I purchased new in 2000 if I recall correctly. Sweet shooter with little recoil. Very accurate also. Won't ever part with it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:10:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one. Got it 17 years ago. Great gun
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 5:32:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Been raining for 3 days, haven't been able to do any more testing.
I live in the woods & have not located any lighter grain loads, going to the big city tomorow, hopefully find some at big box stores.

I still need some input on the spring, should I "spring" for the Wilson? Or is cheap ok?
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 3:07:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Pay once cry once and the price isn't that much different.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top