Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2014 3:40:44 AM EDT
I have a Range Officer 9mm that I haven't been able to get sighted-in. It has been out to the range four times with three different ammunition types, and I am still chasing the zero. Even weirder, it has a decent chance of throwing random shots so far off they don't even hit the target frame.

This is a representative 25-yard target from my range trips:
http://imgur.com/L9kwQIA
The first shot hit low-left, #2 flew who-knows-where, #3 was close to #1, then #4 and #5 picked up a new, high-center POI, and #6 missed the frame entirely.

The crown looks good, the chamber looks smooth and even, the barrel seems to be locking up tight enough, and the rear sight doesn't seem to be jumping detents. Any idea what could be going on?
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:32:42 AM EDT
[#1]
loose sights would be my guess, taking the shooter out of the equation.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 3:40:23 PM EDT
[#2]
First of all move into ten yards and see what happens.  Also have someone else shoot it.  If you're still getting the similar results, call Springfield.  

How much experience do you have on the 1911?  Are you transitioning from a striker-fired pistol?
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 4:03:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I volunteer to test it for you.

(Need a 1911 in 9mm for a while to get it out of my system.)  
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 5:07:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First of all move into ten yards and see what happens.  Also have someone else shoot it.  If you're still getting the similar results, call Springfield.  

How much experience do you have on the 1911?  Are you transitioning from a striker-fired pistol?
View Quote
The only public pistol range I can shoot at allows targets at 25 and 50 yards only.

I have two other 1911s (in .45 and 10mm) and both of those shoot fine.

I called Springfield today and I'm shipping the pistol back to them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top