Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2014 1:39:59 PM EDT
I've been offered a 2.5 yr old MC Operator in excellent condition.  Includes all the factory case candy, has been fired only on the range and has a documented 602 rounds through it.  There are two small finish mars--one on top of the barrel (normal wear--visible through the ejection port) and a small mark on the thumb safety from where the guy lays the pistol on its left side on the bench.  Otherwise, it looks new.
The guy is hurting for cash and has to give up some toys.

I'm a long-time Colt guy and have plenty of 1911s, so I don't "need" this one, but I've heard a lot of great stuff about SAs and am thinking maybe it's time I try one for myself.
Is there anything I should know about this model before considering a deal?  I realize it's a dressed up Loaded, so not a hand-fitted build.  And I know the standard features.  I'm wondering if the MC Operator is as respected as other SA models...or if they have any unusual quirks, known issues, etc.

Reports of personal experiences--positive or negative--would be appreciated.

Also, what's a good used price range in 98% condition?  I checked GB closed auctions but there haven't been many used ones for sale (if people are hanging on to them, maybe it's a good sign?).

I'd appreciate your insight!
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 1:44:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I think they're usually around $1200 new, so $1000 would be fair, $800 would be a deal.

I've heard that they shoot almost as well as a TRP.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:14:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Good to hear...
Does anyone know how that "armory coat" finish holds up?  I've never been a big fans of coatings, but know some of them perform quite well.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 8:29:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I want one, but I'm broke.

Other than it's ugly with the green and black finish, they have a really good reputation. Buds had them in stock a few weeks ago from around $1075 I believe.

The AK finish is a fairly good finish but will wear just like any spray and bake finish. The older AK was a little shinier than the newer AK finish, but I am unsure of when the change occurred.
SA has a great CS so if any issues do arise, it will be taken care of. I say do ett!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:07:48 PM EDT
[#4]
If the pistol is really in the 98% range, and the price is $1000 or less, pick it up.

I am a huge fan of Springfield 1911's, I have 3

MilSpec, TRP and Champion Operator.

The lifetime warranty alone is a reason to pick it up.

If you hate the finish, SACS will re coat the pistol with matt-black armory coat for $180 and have it back to you in less than 2 weeks.

It is a very desirable pistol, and if you get it for <$1000, if you hate it, you will still make money on it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 10:41:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Other than the night sights and the color treatment, what are the differences between the MC Operator and the standard Loaded?

ETA:  And the rail, of course.  I'm wondering about components and quality of build--is there anything different about the MC?
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:12:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I got one recently. Mine is really well fitted. It's accurate, precise, and reliable. I love the coating and the rail.

I test all my guns at 50 yards since I shoot a lot of Service Pistol and Bullseye. My Loaded Target and the MC Operator were both Bullseye accurate from the box.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 8:26:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Other than the night sights and the color treatment, what are the differences between the MC Operator and the standard Loaded?

ETA:  And the rail, of course.  I'm wondering about components and quality of build--is there anything different about the MC?
View Quote

To the best of my knowledge, the fitting and all parts are the same as the loaded models. Rail, AK finish, Pach grips are the only main difference. The Park'd loaded's come with night sights as well.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 7:22:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

To the best of my knowledge, the fitting and all parts are the same as the loaded models. Rail, AK finish, Pach grips are the only main difference. The Park'd loaded's come with night sights as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The MC Operator barrel is match grade.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:14:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The MC Operator and a NM prefix loaded have the same exact barrel. Since I'm assuming all new production Loadeds will be now be NM prefixed, they will all have the same barrels. Word on the street is that SA sources its 1 piece stainless barrels for production pistols from Storm Lake.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:10:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Mine has been a great shooter, even with the loose ejector.   Notice the lack of roll pin retainer for it.  Springer had been gluing them in, two attempts at regluing have failed, but it runs fine anyway.  The finish is pretty beat up, and was not good when I bought it used.  Looked like a screwdriver was used to dissassemble.
This one shoots most 200/230gr loads to the same POA.  I have a pic somewhere of a 16 shot group with 200 gr SWC, RN and 230 gr ball that is pretty impressive.

Here it is...POA was 6:00, just left of the group, three different loads, 2 mags.  Standing and using a roof post to get a barricade rest.  One shot was under the gun.

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:21:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I am not knocking Springfield, rather sharing my complete unbiased experience.

I had to send a TRP back for warranty work due to a poorly fit slide/frame as well as excessive play of the barrel. They claim it receives hand fitment and maybe that one just slipped through the cracks...but based on that I will not purchase another Springfield.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:00:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am not knocking Springfield, rather sharing my complete unbiased experience.

I had to send a TRP back for warranty work due to a poorly fit slide/frame as well as excessive play of the barrel. They claim it receives hand fitment and maybe that one just slipped through the cracks...but based on that I will not purchase another Springfield.
View Quote

Not that it excuses poor quality assurance, but how was your experience with their customer support?  Was the work fully covered (no cost)?  How long was your pistol gone?  And were you satisfied with the finished work?
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:40:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I have an MC Operator, have looked at quite a few.

IMO, they're built more like a TRP than a Loaded.

Damn fine pistols for the money.

I get rid of the ILS, titanium firing pin, ambi safety, and hex-head grip screws and replace with proper Colt parts.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:00:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Both budspolicesupply.com and budsgunshop.com have MC Operators in stock.  $983 shipped at bud's police - have to log in to bud's gunshop to see price there.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:06:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I think I was wrong about them being in stock because Bud's changed the format of their sites (got rid of the police supply) however I am certain today that the Lightweight Operators are in stock for $979 shipped - just FYI.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:01:47 PM EDT
[#16]
979.00 is a pretty good price, I paid 900.00 for my used one.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:03:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
979.00 is a pretty good price, I paid 900.00 for my used one.
View Quote

We had the one in the store listed at $950 which was a good deal, luckily I work there and was able to pick it up even cheaper.  >$1k for an Operator is a good deal
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:32:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Bud's shows MC Operators in stock today - $1129 shipped though - gone up a bit.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 5:07:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Picked a flawless one (25 rds through it) up on the EE about 4 yrs ago for $925 shipped with a TLR-1 included.  It's definitely my favorite handgun of those I already own.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:48:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Did you ever buy it OP?

Pic thread.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:56:49 PM EDT
[#21]
It's a great gun OP, I hope you were able to buy her.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:50:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b64/dralls1ss/mcoperator2_zpsd1d9af39.jpg
View Quote

I see you choose the "get both" option.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:12:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I bought the Loaded too.  I am very temped to put my name on the Professional waiting list....
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 4:08:53 PM EDT
[#24]
I've had one for about 6 months.  It is a great pistol.  If you get it, you'll be happy.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 10:51:42 AM EDT
[#25]
I'll add my voice to the high praise for the MC Operator.  I pulled the pachmyer grips and put on some VZ Operator II's with a S & A magwell and a Surefire X300.  If it was cost effective, I'd have the front strap checkered, fit and blend the magwell, fit a threaded barrel and get the whole thing refinished in black AK.  The finish on my has held up really well.  It's night stand gun #2 after my SBR.  I wish Novak would make a sight similar to the Tru Glo TFO so I could put them on my MC Op, I'm getting older and I like the brighter lamps like I have on my G17 clone.

Their Professional Operator is my dream 1911.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 4:27:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Curious to know if the front of the rail is square cut at 90 degrees or if it is angled at the 110 degree like the one pictured above?
If it is a square cut it is more desired by the Operator purists.......
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 5:17:08 AM EDT
[#27]
I have the TRP Operator and love it. I carry in on duty everyday and the AK finish is wearing on the back of the beavertail some but its a work gun so I expect finish wear.  Gun has ran 100% and is approaching 1k rounds since the end of July when I got it.  I have shot 230gr FMJ, 230GR LRN, 200GR LSWC, reloads, factory, and about 200 rounds of factory HP ammo(various makes).  I am thinking of getting a TRP for off duty carry.  I'm carrying a RIA Tactical 5" now that just wont quit though I know I know a sub $800 gun that aint polymer will fail and get me killed but Ive abused the hell out of it and its still ticking.  I test reloads out of it and not had a failure yet.  Maybe I should forget the TRP and just buy more components

I think you will be more than pleased with the MC.  I did have a tritium vial come out of the rear sight in the first 500 rounds, Springfield paid the shipping both ways and had it back to my door in five days.  Im pleased.

EDIT:Pic of wear on beavertail
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 10:42:13 AM EDT
[#28]
I like mine.

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 9:15:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Haven't poked back in here for a while.
For those who were interested, no, I didn't buy it...but I tried.  We negotiated a bit and he actually got down to $800 with extra grips, extra mags and a few hundred rounds of assorted ammo.  The pistol looked great and still had the factory case and all the case candy.  In the end, he even offered to throw in a range bag and some hearing protection, and he would pay for the transfer!

To be honest, I had only hesitated because I already have a dozen or so 1911s, but by the time he laid out the full offer, I couldn't pass it up and tried to arrange a time to meet up (he lives about an hour from me).  
However... as soon as I agreed to the deal, he mentioned it to a knowledgeable friend who quickly convinced him he was giving it away.  He contacted me again to say he'd changed his mind and didn't want to sell it after all.  

I'll admit, it was a bit heartbreaking...but it was my own fault.  Next time, I'll know to leap faster!
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 1:20:37 AM EDT
[#30]
You missed a smokin deal.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 1:54:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Sounds like a dick move on his part to back out on the deal.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 2:29:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I get rid of the ILS, titanium firing pin, ambi safety, and hex-head grip screws and replace with proper Colt parts.
View Quote

THIS

I heavuly considered one when ordering my TRP Operator.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 3:28:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

THIS

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS

I was the same way but I know how I am and knew I would always be thinking "but I really wanted the TRP Operator".  I think the MC is a fine pistol though and may pick one up if the price is right.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:56:59 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I was the same way but I know how I am and knew I would always be thinking "but I really wanted the TRP Operator".  I think the MC is a fine pistol though and may pick one up if the price is right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

THIS

I would have definitely gone with the TRP over the MC, but I wanted a rail, and for some reason I just don't like bull barrels like the TRP Operator has, and I can't afford a Pro.  I got to handle a TRP, but not shoot it, man that aggressive front strap checkering is sure to give you some blisters and callouses!
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 6:30:27 AM EDT
[#35]
I looked pretty hard for about a year and almost gave up because all the used ones I found were $1,200-$1,400. Finally got lucky and found one for $850. Keep looking, deals are out there eventually.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 2:15:07 PM EDT
[#36]
I've had a Loaded model for a couple years and just bought an MC Operator. the slide to frame fit is MUCH tighter on the MC and the finish IMO is much nicer. otherwise, they're pretty much the same gun.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 11:18:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think A MC Operator will be My Next 1911! dewelrtexas You want to trade Yours for a Like New TRP?

Link Posted: 1/5/2015 10:52:57 PM EDT
[#38]

MC Op Pic thread!

Mine, muzzle cut, then bobtailed, checkered, and Cerakoted.

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:02:38 AM EDT
[#39]
OP, check out Springfield's website now, as the MC Op seems to be getting a little bit of a makeover.  G10 grips and front strap checkering...very tempting.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:00:10 PM EDT
[#40]
I Done It!

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:17:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I Done It!

<a href="http://s1117.photobucket.com/user/Hanktech1963/media/imagejpg1_zpsb9be4338.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k588/Hanktech1963/imagejpg1_zpsb9be4338.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s1117.photobucket.com/user/Hanktech1963/media/imagejpg2_zps4ee4f1e2.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k588/Hanktech1963/imagejpg2_zps4ee4f1e2.jpg</a>
View Quote

Grats. You'll love it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top