Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2014 11:33:13 PM EDT
Headed to the range to day and lets just say I shot horribly...

I haven't been shooting in over 6 months and boy did it show.  My only saving grace was I was able to shoot a little better with a full size SW mp I rented.

So just wanted to pick the minds of guys that shoot the XDS in 45.  If you don't have time to shoot much what do you do to keep up your skill level with the gun?
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:52:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't help you too much because I shoot my XDS45 at nearly 25 yards and can keep most shots in the 8 ring or less on an NRA bullseye target.

As with any gun, it is 90% or more, trigger pull or squeeze if you will.

My XDS with the recall upgrade and some trigger work shoots dead on when the front site is cradled in the center of the rears and the years of target shooting that taught me proper trigger discipline.

Start with concentration on the trigger and make target acquisition secondary.  Even if you are a bit off on the target, the bullet will hit where the gun is pointed if the trigger is not yanked.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 9:59:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Well damn guess I have some practicing to do. With my range officer I can do some work at 25 yards. But the XDS is a whole other beast.

I picked up some snap caps and I'm going to start on practicing with the trigger and try to get out and shoot more!
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 10:41:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't shoot the XDS as often as I like, but when I take it out I start at close quarters and work my way back from the target.  Starting close gets me in the shooting mode before I move out further.  Not sure if that helps but that is my $.02.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:50:09 PM EDT
[#4]
You need to dry fire drill.  It is cheap and free...  Always put the ammo in a separate room.  Youtube dry firing drills.  You will not be disappointed.  I have both XDS 9 and .45.  I shoot 100 (expert) at the range all the time...
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 4:09:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Laserlyte laser bullet for inside the gun. Then lots of dry firing. You will be able to see if you are pulling shots. The laser only lights up when the firing pin hits the bullet. They have targets that show you where you hit at but they are not totally necessary.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 3:15:34 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 for dryfiring. Cheapest practice there is.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:02:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Dry fire...Dry fire...Dry fire. Pick a small 'target', such as the screw on a light switch, to check for proper trigger follow through.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Skills required for shooting a tiny .45 need a high level of maintenance.

Going to the range once every six months, and carrying an XDS45, are IMO mutually exclusive.

I suggest professional coaching,followed by regular practice, then casual matches at the local range.

Or trading for a 9mm.  But you'll still have to practice-- you just won't get quite as bad between sessions.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:33:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
+1 for dryfiring. Cheapest practice there is.
View Quote

This definitely. I do it often. Get a dry fire target to use , it will tell you whet you're doing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top