Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2014 4:55:48 PM EDT
I got the part # from Springfield but would like to know if the Metalform pads available at Brownell's are compatible - or any others at Brownell's for that matter.

Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:00:03 AM EDT
[#1]
If your magazine base has two holes in it, just about any aftermarket 1911 magazine pad will work that uses this attachemnt method.  

Note the screws are self tapping so make sure you have a driver tip that matches up with the screw.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:06:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you.

I'm down to the Metalform pads for $3.30 a piece or the Ed Brown pads at $10.49 per 6, both at Brownell's.

I like the Ed Brown's because I get more and they have the screw hole location measurements in the ad..

Getting six also would allow me to use my "Loaded" coupon for a few more mags.

Can you advise whether the 7-rounders offered on the loaded coupon are the same mags as received with an MC Operator?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:40:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Never purchased a 1911 magazine from SA (besides the ones that come with the gun).  I do not see why the magazines would not be different from the std run of the mill 7rd 1911 magazine.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 2:27:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you.

I'm down to the Metalform pads for $3.30 a piece or the Ed Brown pads at $10.49 per 6, both at Brownell's.

I like the Ed Brown's because I get more and they have the screw hole location measurements in the ad..

Getting six also would allow me to use my "Loaded" coupon for a few more mags.

Can you advise whether the 7-rounders offered on the loaded coupon are the same mags as received with an MC Operator?
View Quote

The last time I ordered magazines from Springfield, I recieved metalform brand. The part/product number was on the form so I searched it on the web to see what I was getting. I would assume the mags are the usual welded base plate variety from metalform. If coupon/order form has product numbers, search for it on Springfield's webpage.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:50:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I went with the Ed Brown 6-pack of bumpers with screws.  The cost was $10.49 and I used the code for free domestic shipping.

They arrived today and I installed them on the two 7-rounders that came with my Operator.  I bought it slightly used and the previous owner had installed a Wilson mag funnel so the 7-rounders would work but one had to diligently make sure they were seated fully as the funnel extended 1/4" below the bottom of the mag.  I could use the mags but they were relegated to back-ups and now they can get put into regular rotation.

Just putting this out as an FYI if someone else has the same question.  I'll probably post with info when the mags ordered from Springfield come in as well.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 9:00:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Watch it with these, I overtightened my first one and it broke into several pieces.

The other one and the replacement are doing well however it's only been a few days and while they've been used they haven't been worked hard at all.

Perhaps another case of "you get what you pay for".
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 11:42:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Not fault of the product, but the installation. Been using the Ed Browns for years (decade+) as a charge mag with no issues.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 12:51:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, I kind of figured I didn't help that one any by doing that.

Glad to hear yours have been providing good service.  Are yours on factory EB mags or did you add them aftermarket?
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Bought the pads and installed on some unkown manuf magazines.

needed 4 broke two during install using 18v screw gun.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 4:39:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bought the pads and installed on some unkown manuf magazines.

needed 4 broke two during install using 18v screw gun.
View Quote

I could see that being an issue.  I did mine by hand and I heard that first one "click" ever so slightly and by the end of the day it was in pieces.

Thank you for your input.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 12:04:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Received my mags from the Loaded coupon today and they were identical to the ones received with the pistol - blued with holes in the baseplates and "45 ACP" stamped on the left side.

Pads went on fine and were only tightened to snug instead of cranked down - now if I could just find a single Ed Brown pad I'd be set.

I blue Loc-Tited the screws, does anyone use something else or add glue to the pad in addition to a thread-locker?
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 8:28:08 AM EDT
[#12]
loctite is not needed and "may" react with the plastic causing cracks. I say may as I do not know what type of material the pads are made of and I know loctite can not be used with plexi glass/ lexan type plastics.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top