Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2014 9:58:45 PM EDT
Ok first don't flame me for asking . Can the XDM hold up to high round counts ? I want to get a 5.25 for a dedicated IDPA gun that will be shot about a 1000 rounds a month . With regular cleaning and a new recoil spring every 5000 rounds can these guns go the distance like Glocks can ?
Anybody have a 5.25 with 20,000 + rounds through it ?
Thanks in advance .
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:25:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an XD with that many flawless rounds.  I like my XDMs even more.  I personally think an XDM 4.5 would be better for IDPA, while a 5.25 would be better for USPSA.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 12:29:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I only have 16,000 through my XDm 5.25 9mm model, so a bit short of your question.  All I have done are spring changes.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:49:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Only about 4k through mine but it has about 150,000 dry fire cycles through it.  Very reliable.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:57:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Not a direct answer as I've only had my XDM 5.25 a few months and probably at the several 100 rounds count.  So far its been great and my favorite competition gun (over G34 & FNS-9L).  I use it for IDPA, USPSA, 3gun.  Very accurate and fits the hand good.  The 19 round magazine is nice in USPSA/3gun/steel.  The notch on the rear site is very small, so if you nest your sites, you may find it slower then some sites, but its great for accuracy.  Some things that have worked well with me.
- PRP Ultimate Match trigger kit, well worth it
- Talon grip - rubber like version, feels great
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:48:36 PM EDT
[#5]
When I'm not busy blowing mine up, I've gotten about 5k rounds through mine so far.  Most of those rounds are from matches using 147gr reloads.  I apply Slide Glide and clean it about every 7-800 rounds and it gets extremely dirty from reloading with powders that leave lots of residue.

I find this pistol works better for me than the G34s and M&P 9 Pros that I've shot at the range.  I'm not associated with any aftermarket manufacturer, but look up Springer Precision and Powder River Precision.  I've not tried Canyon Creek, but they have a good reputation for producing quality XDM components.  You can find anything from magwells to trigger kits and strikers, etc from them.  I do have to say that the Powder River Precision trigger kits are amazing, and am saving to buy a Springer Precision magwell for IDPA and maybe a large Open variant for an Open division build.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:51:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have an XD with that many flawless rounds.  I like my XDMs even more.  I personally think an XDM 4.5 would be better for IDPA, while a 5.25 would be better for USPSA.
View Quote

not sure why you would say that, all the polymer ssp and esp guns I see in idpa are glock 34 and xdm comps around here.
I shoot idpa and 3 gun monthly with my xdm.  I'll clean it every 500-1k and never had any issue.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:30:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

not sure why you would say that, all the polymer ssp and esp guns I see in idpa are glock 34 and xdm comps around here.
I shoot idpa and 3 gun monthly with my xdm.  I'll clean it every 500-1k and never had any issue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just my opinion...I treat USPSA like a game, and IDPA more like "real world".  
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 9:27:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I haven't run my XDM through a class or match yet. I have run my XD thru classes that were 1000rd classes, though. Ran fine.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:01:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I shoot an XDm 5.25 and love it

I have more Glocks than XDs but the day I went to buy a 34 I walked out of the store with a brand new XDm 5.52 in 9

I love it , have shot it at IDPA matches for about 2.5 years
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 9:28:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Haven't been in this part of the forum for awhile.

There isn't any reason not to expect your XDm Comp to hold up. While I don't have 20K through either of my XD series pistols they have both over 5k each of various loads. Everything from bunny fart loads to very hot ones. I run my XD 45 in USPSA with 200gr LRN from Missouri Bullets and clean it maybe every 1K rounds.

IMO there isn't any reliability difference between a Glock and an XD, XDm.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:21:02 PM EDT
[#11]
My 5.25" .45 run IDPA matches every weekend (sometimes at more than 1 range)...never had a problem.

As a side note: I found mine will not reliably cycle LSWC reloads with an OAL over 1.250". 1.235" seems to be the ticket, for mine anyway.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:22:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Iam also looking at the XDm 5.25 for IDPA and USPSA. As  a Firefighter I can get a deal through a local shop where the m&p 9 pro is $465.00 retail 650.00 or a XDm 5.25 for $650 while the retail is close to 800.00. I just feel the 5.25 is more ready to go out the door for comp.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:28:33 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm tempted to get a 5.25. I know that springer and prp are the big trigger companies but has anybody had experience with Dawson's CRP version? They do a production version and a limited. They advertise a 3.5lb trigger job and I'm wondering how it compares.

PRP does a "build your xdm" thing which is really cool and there are lots of options you can have done, but they are back ordered on every model. I don't know if they ever get stock or not. Dawson usually has them in stock and ready to ship.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 11:09:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
When I'm not busy blowing mine up, I've gotten about 5k rounds through mine so far.  Most of those rounds are from matches using 147gr reloads.  I apply Slide Glide and clean it about every 7-800 rounds and it gets extremely dirty from reloading with powders that leave lots of residue.

I find this pistol works better for me than the G34s and M&P 9 Pros that I've shot at the range.  I'm not associated with any aftermarket manufacturer, but look up Springer Precision and Powder River Precision.  I've not tried Canyon Creek, but they have a good reputation for producing quality XDM components.  You can find anything from magwells to trigger kits and strikers, etc from them.  I do have to say that the Powder River Precision trigger kits are amazing, and am saving to buy a Springer Precision magwell for IDPA and maybe a large Open variant for an Open division build.
View Quote

I agree with the above quote...and
I have an XDm in 9mm.During the past 2 years & 3 months of owning it I have over 7000 hand loads thru it with no serious problems. If you shoot nothing but factory loads like Win. white box 115gr. FMJ, the gun is clean, properly lubed and your gun has a fresh correct poundage recoil spring you will never have big problems. That goes for XDM, Glock, whatever.
When you run hand loads and change recoil spring rates that's when a gun is more likely to develop problems.
Too much recoil spring pounds the hell out of the breach face area. Too little spring beats up the frame and the slide.
I am no gunsmith not even an armorer but over the years I've learned that auto pistols are a balancing act.

With that said, all semi auto pistols that are shot a lot will wear faster than the same that is not shot alot.
If you shoot 15000 rounds a year you shouldn't have a problem with going thru it maintenance wise.

I cracked the breach face in my 9mm XDM 5.25. I thought by putting in a heavier recoil spring that would be easier on my gun...WRONG!
I was shooting everything from mild to hot 147gr to 100 gr bullets and somewhere in there it developed a crack in the breach face. MY FAULT.

Von Bark
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 3:21:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I love my XDM, and even though I would like to get acclimated to the new VP9, I keep coming back to the 4.5 XDM with PRP trigger. It's the best striker fired trigger I've ever shot.

Mine has been nothing but reliable using full power springs - can't remember if I have the factory spring or full power PRP spring right now. One small problem part is the striker retaining pin. When dry firing the striker will hit it if you aren't using snap caps, and there have been reports the it failing. However, one of the aftermarket support companies named in this thread makes a much stronger roll pin that is a drop in replacement, and no one has ever reported a failure using the stronger pin. I highly suggest making your first upgrades a PRP trigger and replacing that roll pin in the top of the slide.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 8:53:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I have around  25k through my XD9 without a single malfunction that wasn't due to others limp wresting it.  I just bought a xdm9 4.5  for uspsa. I love the pistol so far.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 11:45:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Pickingup my XD-M 5.25 Comp .40 tomorrow. It will be my dedicated USPSA platform. Really liked the trigger, even in stock form is superior to the Glock's stock trigger.

I was thinking of picking up a Glock 35, but I think I made the right choice with the XD-M.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 11:49:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Should be fine. However, most people who get serious about SSP and IDPA end up with a 34. Fight it all you want, its inevitable.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:17:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm relatively new to the sport shooting side, in IDPA about 6 months, and about to buy the XDm 5.25 in 9. I also shoot in an open class 2 gun match (carbine/pistol), looking forward to giving this one a try. I started out shooting a commander 1911, so I'm hopeful the change will be beneficial. Seems like the general opinion is good to great with this one.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 4:22:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Last night I sat down with my XDM and did a full frame breakdown. i was having an issue with the grip safety "clicking" and despite not hampering the performance of the weapon; it was bothering me like Hell. I had already ordered the extended grip safety and extended (.100) mag release from Powder River Precision (same folks that I bought the trigger setup from), so i figure I break the whole thing down and see what i messed up in and then reassemble it. I have to admit, for a poly pistol, the XDM has way too many parts in it. With Glocks, I could take one apart and back together with a tuna sandwich in one hand (yeah; I know, nobody likes the tuna here)... Still, I really like the ergonomics of the XMD over the Glock.

Anywho; I took it apart, cleaned it (already put 200 rounds of trouble free firing through it - all American Eagle 155gr and 180gr hardball - zero problems) and replaced the grip safety and mag release with the new parts; then reinstalled all the trigger and sear parts, paying CLOSE attention to both video and written instructions. Put it all back together and dry fired it a few times, using some Pachmyr snap caps I had handy.

Long of the short - Pay attention when you break an XDM down for maintenance or parts replacement; it'll save you time and headaches.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 4:41:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A S&W 686 with a 3 inch barrel weighing as much as 38 oz is a legal IDPA BUG revolver.  Real world my arse...
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Dumb question, but don't the spring kits remove the pistols out of the production/limited categories?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:58:13 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a regular XD-40 Tactical with somewhere around 40,000 rds through it.  Used it mostly for USPSA Limited-10 and for the occasion 3-gun/multi-gun match I shoot.  You may wear out an XD/XDm in competition but you will have gotten you money out of it by the time you do.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 8:08:28 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Dumb question, but don't the spring kits remove the pistols out of the production/limited categories?
View Quote
Internal changes are typical all legal for SSP in IDPA.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:44:10 PM EDT
[#25]
For anyone that has not changed springs until they failed, about what round count did it occur? Got a shoot coming up and have done nothing to this one. I don't think I've hit the 5k mark.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:20:47 PM EDT
[#26]
OK, new question...

I replaced the OEM mag release on my XD-M with a PRP extended (0.10) release and it works as it should, but it has rotational play and it bugs the Hell out of me. Again, it doesn't interfere with mag changes, but it bothers me.

I noticed that unlike the OEM release, the inside of the PRP release is rounded as opposed to flat.

Rounded...

As opposed to...

Flat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top