Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2014 2:10:38 AM EDT
So I've got a few 9rd mags and a couple 7rd's. The 9rd springs have remained quite firm after probably 90-100 rounds each so far. The 7rd springs seem to be getting weak really fast from about the same cycled round count. It's to the point now where the 7's won't even activate the slide stop all the way. The followers do drag a little bit on the mag walls, but the issue seems to be the springs. So I took them out and gave them a little stretch. That looks to be popping the slide stop up cleanly now. But this is concerning.

So.. should I just replace the springs with aftermarkets or contact SA and see if I can get them replaced? Something tells me I'll have the same problem with replacements.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 3:08:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I would contact Springfield,they may have gotten a bad batch of springs.There is no way your springs should be bad after such a short service life.My XDS .45 is over a year old and the mags still cycle like new ,and they have several hundred rounds through each of them and they and are also left loaded.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 2:56:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would contact Springfield,they may have gotten a bad batch of springs.There is no way your springs should be bad after such a short service life.My XDS .45 is over a year old and the mags still cycle like new ,and they have several hundred rounds through each of them and they and are also left loaded.
View Quote

Thanks. Guess I will contact SA.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 3:57:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Hmm.. well, I just unloaded the 9rd mags and they are doing it too. Even the newest one I just got from SA recently for the recall which has yet to have rounds cycled through it besides a couple loads and unloads. It has sat for a couple months loaded and the spring is weak already. The slide stop comes up about half way only. The slide stops on it and then I can push it up the rest of the way. With the 7's, it hangs on by a hair, if it even engages at all. I have no doubt the 9's are going to get just as bad.

I don't normally use the stop to drop the slide unless I'm just being lazy at the range. Standard procedure is an overhand yank with my weak hand. But how do I know if these springs aren't going to start causing mis-feeds? I don't, and that's scary since I'm going to start carrying this thing once I get my IL CCL later this summer. Now I'm kinda pissed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top