Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2014 10:42:31 AM EDT
I've searched and found many posts regarding the quality of the stock XD/XDm triggers.  Seems some are happy with the stock trigger right out of the box, and some not.  Is it just the luck of the draw in the gun you get or is it different expectations of owners?

For those that shoot both the XD and XDm can you really feel a difference in the quality of the stock trigger between the two?

Either way I don't think I've seen anyone who has not been able to solve their problem with a PRP kit.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Each trigger can be subtly different...

They can all be improved as well by tricks and kits.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:09:39 PM EDT
[#2]
The stock trigger are all pretty much the same.  You are always going to have some that want the best trigger possible.  The stock trigger is darn good, and can be made better by the correct kit.  I am partial to the Springer Precision kits, and the PRP kits are good from what I have heard.  The kits differ in how they go about changing the trigger.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:07:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The stock trigger are all pretty much the same.  You are always going to have some that want the best trigger possible.  The stock trigger is darn good, and can be made better by the correct kit.  I am partial to the Springer Precision kits, and the PRP kits are good from what I have heard.  The kits differ in how they go about changing the trigger.
View Quote

Good info.  I'm just looking for a decent trigger but would like a little less reset travel.  My Glock seems to have about half the reset length as my XD.  I'm getting ready to buy a full size 9mm and trying to decide which way to go.  I honestly would prefer another XD over a XDm unless I'm getting a better trigger with the XDm.

I've looked at both kits and agree both look like they do a good job.  The Springer looks like it might require a little more fitting and be a little more difficult to install.  Are there any options to polish the trigger group and improve like with Glocks?  What are some of the other tricks?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:17:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe, IMO, that the stock XDm trigger is better than the XD, but they are not that far apart.  You can certainly polish up some parts and all that, but I cannot compare to a Glock as I have never owned one.  I have never done a PRP trigger job, but I have handled others that have been done.  I think the Springer comes out slightly better, and with just a hair bit shorter reset.  Could be just me and my prejudice.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:06:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I originally owned Glock 34, 19 and 20…gen 4's.  The G34 and G20, I had a Glocksmith do some trigger work and they improved.  I also own an FNS-9 and FNS-9L with stock triggers (no aftermarket triggers yet).  They are crisp and similar to Glock stock, but because they are stock, they have heavy pulls.  I got a great deal on an XDM 5.25 9mm and I immediately put a PRP Ultimate Match trigger kit in it.  All I can say is SWEET!!!  That combine with the stock fiber front site, the adjustable rear site,  the added Talon rubber grip and the 3x19 round mag capacity make this hard to beat.  The XDM with this trigger kit is now my favorite range gun as it gave me an immediate improvement in speed and hits.  I installed the PRP kit myself…it wasn't extremely difficult..but took about 3 hours of careful filing, fitting, testing, and do it again until just right.  Taking off and on some of the parts like the trigger was a little difficult for an amateur like me, but after doing it 10+ times as a sanded 1/1000" at a time, it was not problem after getting the hang of it.  There are instruction videos that show you how.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 8:53:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I originally owned Glock 34, 19 and 20…gen 4's.  The G34 and G20, I had a Glocksmith do some trigger work and they improved.  I also own an FNS-9 and FNS-9L with stock triggers (no aftermarket triggers yet).  They are crisp and similar to Glock stock, but because they are stock, they have heavy pulls.  I got a great deal on an XDM 5.25 9mm and I immediately put a PRP Ultimate Match trigger kit in it.  All I can say is SWEET!!!  That combine with the stock fiber front site, the adjustable rear site,  the added Talon rubber grip and the 3x19 round mag capacity make this hard to beat.  The XDM with this trigger kit is now my favorite range gun as it gave me an immediate improvement in speed and hits.  I installed the PRP kit myself…it wasn't extremely difficult..but took about 3 hours of careful filing, fitting, testing, and do it again until just right.  Taking off and on some of the parts like the trigger was a little difficult for an amateur like me, but after doing it 10+ times as a sanded 1/1000" at a time, it was not problem after getting the hang of it.  There are instruction videos that show you how.
View Quote

This...^^
I shot mine for a year before installing the PRP Ultimate Match.  Great trigger!  Buddy has the Springer kit in his.  We both like the PRP better.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 9:34:17 PM EDT
[#7]
owned a 3.8 compact 40 for about a 8 months with a stock trigger. Installed a basic PRP, which was not very hard, and it changed everything. Sweet shooting pistol. Ended up selling it cause I didn't like the 40 snap but anyone who pulled the trigger was really blown away. It seemed smoother than a glock with very little pre-travel, very crisp break, as well as no over-travel. The reset was very short as well. It felt like a much much improved glock trigger. Currently may get another xdm 3.8 compact but in 9 and if so, I will be installing another PRP kit.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I have three XDMs. I changed the trigger set with the PRP drop in kit on one of them. Huge difference for me. I recently shot the standard police qualification course with the one I did the upgrade with. The range office commented on the large ragged hole in the target and looked at my gun. He jokingly commented that he was surprised that I had used an XDM for the course but I had shot it well. My wife likes the standard trigger in hers because the upgrade may be too light for her. She is a beginner at shooting.

My daughter otoh, likes the upgrade much better. My friend has the XDM .45 model. He has the standard trigger and likes mine better. I would love to upgrade all three to the new trigger system.

Watching the video on PRP's website made the install very easy. I would stop and start the video during the process to make sure that I had everything right before going to the next step. I only have about 200 rounds with the new trigger. I don't expect any issues though with a bigger round count.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top