Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2014 11:06:46 AM EDT
I've been looking through a lot of threads and in the market for another small carry gun.  I was considering the XDs 4.0 or standard XDs in 45acp, seems like it would be a fun gun.  My concerns are there are quite a few negative threads about reliability and horrid trigger pull.  I'm not super concerned about trigger pull, I'm basically a glock guy and I feel their triggers are outstanding for a combat pistol.  I previously owned an XDm when they first came out and thought the trigger was great too.  So unless these are really horrible, it's not a deal breaker.  I do want something reliable though and I don't want to have to send a new gun back to the factory because they didn't get it right from the start.  I love the idea of the chopped grip on the midsize barrel, and 45 is a fun caliber, but I'm still on the fence whether all the issues are sorted out and they are good to go?
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:17:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Love mine, always did. Never had any issues before the recall and don't have any after. It is a very fun and surprisingly accurate 45.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 1:46:18 PM EDT
[#2]
How can I tell before buying if the gun will have to go back to the factory for the recall?  Is there a serial number prefix or something?  A couple of our local gun shops often have guns that set there a while so if I decide to pick one up I'd like to have post recall.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:23:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Recalled serial numbers:

Springfield 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm pistols - serial numbers between XS900000 and XS938700
Springfield 3.3 XD-S™ .45ACP pistols - serial numbers between XS500000 and XS686300.

It appears that post recall guns do not have the leading 'X' in the serial number.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:52:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Love mine, always did. Never had any issues before the recall and don't have any after. It is a very fun and surprisingly accurate 45.
View Quote

This. Also post recall will have a small roll pin in the grip safety
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:20:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Love mine, always have. I'm debating a PRP spring kit, but I think I may just leave it as it is.

Put some rubber Talon grips on it and HST +P and I am perfectly confident in carrying it. It is one of my two primary carry guns (based solely on what I'm wearing).
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:07:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I hate mine.
It prints 12" groups at 5 yards.  I sent it back and they sent me a 10 yard target with a 1" group.  I know there's a difference between a Ransom rest group and handheld groups, but I am simply not that bad a shot.  I can shoot 6" groups at 7 yards with my Kahr PM45.  At least the XDs had been reliable.

Right now I have two sub-compact .45's I don't want.  One is an inaccurate POS, and the other is an unreliable POS.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:50:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Love my 3.3 in .45. This is 50 rounds at 7 yards and I'm no target shooter. It's definitely not a
"fun" range gun as it chews up the web of my hand even with talon grips.  Only other mod is the PRP spring kit which I'll admit was a PITA but feels much better after some more trigger time.

Got my new holster in too

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 10:51:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I carried a G19 for years. When the XDs came out I sold the G19 and got the XDs .45. Shot 50rds with it and just could not get comfortable with the gun, so I sold it and bought a S&W Shield 9mm. Carried it for about 4 months, gave it to the wife and bought another XDs .45. So far I have put about 50rds through it and it's starting to grow on me. Not sure why I came back to the XDs but I did and so far I am happy.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I hate mine.

It prints 12" groups at 5 yards.  I sent it back and they sent me a 10 yard target with a 1" group.  I know there's a difference between a Ransom rest group and handheld groups, but I am simply not that bad a shot.  I can shoot 6" groups at 7 yards with my Kahr PM45.  At least the XDs had been reliable.

Right now I have two sub-compact .45's I don't want.  One is an inaccurate POS, and the other is an unreliable POS.

View Quote

The fact that you report accuracy and reliability out of multiple XD models suggests it might be you.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:08:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I hate mine.

View Quote

Not trying to slam you but, a 6" group at 7 yards isn't that good. Perhaps it's more of an issue with you than the XD-S
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 9:16:19 PM EDT
[#11]
My XDS was fine before the recall. Tale of woe after. I will say that there's no way I'd take one to a handgun class because it would beat the crap out of your hand. I put a Pachmayr rubber wrap-around on mine before the recall and it helped a lot. Accuracy was fine. After the recall, multiple trips to SA, ended up taking an XDM competition in 9mm from the factory instead of getting a dysfunctional weapon back.

The "consensus" seems to be that the basic gun was OK before the recall except for a flaw that was discovered. After the recall, the trigger pull is much heavier (which the PRP springs might help a little with) and some folks (like me) got back a worse gun than was sent in. I have two friends that sent theirs in, both theirs are fine. So, the "consensus" is there is no consensus.

p.s. My experience with the XDS is limited to the original 3.3" in .45. The new 4" one, either in 9mm or 45 might be significantly better or might not be, I haven't seen/heard from anybody that has one.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 11:58:19 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm not really sure how many time's we're going to need to rehash this.

I got mine back after the recall and the trigger was stiff.  Dry-firing revealed a noticeable twitch out at the front sight when the striker released- not good.  BUT, a hundred dry-fire trigger releases smoothed it out completely.  I took it with me to Utah for a two week NDT class I had to take for work and shot it at an indoor range while there.  Here's the grouping- offhand at about 20'.

There are seven rounds on that target- and I am NOT a marksman by any means.  In fact, I often tell people that shooting is the only thing I enjoy doing even though I suck at doing it.

I carry this gun almost daily- only occasionally switching out to a 1911 for when I'm carrying openly (no retention holster for the XDs so I only carry it concealed).
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 12:22:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Happy with mine. I did have to adjust my grip a little to keep from holding the slide lock down preventing it from locking on an empty mag. Other than that the gun is more accurate than it has any business being and handles the cartridge better than some full size platforms. Recoil is mild for a gun this size
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 7:59:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've been looking through a lot of threads and in the market for another small carry gun.  I was considering the XDs 4.0 or standard XDs in 45acp, seems like it would be a fun gun.  My concerns are there are quite a few negative threads about reliability and horrid trigger pull.  I'm not super concerned about trigger pull, I'm basically a glock guy and I feel their triggers are outstanding for a combat pistol.  I previously owned an XDm when they first came out and thought the trigger was great too.  So unless these are really horrible, it's not a deal breaker.  I do want something reliable though and I don't want to have to send a new gun back to the factory because they didn't get it right from the start.  I love the idea of the chopped grip on the midsize barrel, and 45 is a fun caliber, but I'm still on the fence whether all the issues are sorted out and they are good to go?
View Quote

I'm glad someone asked. I'm getting very close to purchasing one as it appears to be the thinnest 45 I've held so far. I want to carry it in the summer. My hopes is I get one of the 'good ones' as I have read real mixed reviews.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 8:19:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Love mine. Still never sent it in for the recall. I carry it every day and dont really want to part without it for awhile. shot about 500 rounds though it with no problems.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 12:09:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I hate mine.

View Quote

Not to sound like an ass, but I doubt an 11" difference at half the distance is the gun. Maybe it's just not right for you.

edited for sp
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 12:10:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Love mine. Still never sent it in for the recall. I carry it every day and dont really want to part without it for awhile. shot about 500 rounds though it with no problems.
View Quote

Most guns have been recalled and repaired awhile ago. I'm sure the turn around time is pretty short now. Last time I checked a month ago, people on the XD forum were getting their XDS back with-in a week, two max.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 12:26:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I sent mine in for the recall this past winter. I did not notice any difference in the trigger once I got it back. I love it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 3:07:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I hate mine.

View Quote

hate to say it but it is you. As SA showed.

sight aligment grip stance breathing, work on em. Little 45 acp are a different animal to shoot.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 2:45:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I was concerned about the negative comments too, I got mine a few months ago, and have put 400+rds through it, it's been flawless. I'm still reading about problems some people are having, I really believe some of the FTF/FTE are from limp wristing.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Kind of hate to admit it.....
I'm a 1911 guy, but neat little gun for it's intended purpose.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:03:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I called and spoke with a rep at SA. My question was concern over the recall. The cs rep told me that the customer that caused the concern for the recall loaded a single round into the chamber by hand and then released the slide. They didnt let the slide load one from a magazine like normal and also involved finger in the trigger during this. She also told me the recall is totally voluntary and her brother and father are LE and carry the xds and refuse to do the recall. Due to the customers complaint they tweaked a few things on the pistol. She claims the gun is safe as it is. Not trying to rehash the recall just food for thought.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:11:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Mine came back from the recall with an 8.5 pound trigger!  Fortunately it still shoots as accurately as it did before.  Really great little pistol.  One day I'll get a spring kit for it . Still can't believe how well it shoots for such a small gun.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:37:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I've had my .45 3.3" for a little over 2 months and ran my 700th round of ball thru it last night. Never had 1 hiccup. It reliably shoots inside of the 10 of a B27 at 15yrds. Double taps, at the same yardage, keeps them well inside the 9. I added a Pachmayr slip on, as the factory plastic "grips" are extremely deep and started tearing my ring finger up, in front of my ring. The 7 round mag does create a problem, for me at least, when reloading. When I go to drop the 7 round mag, it hangs on the bottom of my hand. This is 100% my fault, as I'm not opening up enough for the mag to drop free. This happens regardless if I use my thumb or index finger to hit the mag release. My "fix" is: shoot the 2 5 round's 1st, and the 7 round'r last. By that time, hopefully the threat will be down or I'll be behind concealment. Mine is carried in a Galco King Tuk or a Galco soft tuck IWB.

As to how to know if it is pre or post recall. If there is a roll pin in the beavertail safety, it is either Pre-recall and been factory fixed or it is post recall. Either way, if it has a roll pin, it's good to go.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:42:41 PM EDT
[#25]
My XDs 45 is being sold.  I got a P938 and it's my EDC now.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 4:17:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I called and spoke with a rep at SA. My question was concern over the recall. The cs rep told me that the customer that caused the concern for the recall loaded a single round into the chamber by hand and then released the slide. They didnt let the slide load one from a magazine like normal and also involved finger in the trigger during this. She also told me the recall is totally voluntary and her brother and father are LE and carry the xds and refuse to do the recall. Due to the customers complaint they tweaked a few things on the pistol. She claims the gun is safe as it is. Not trying to rehash the recall just food for thought.
View Quote

They had to do the recall to cover their asses legally. I didn't know anything about the recall for several months after I bought my XDS-9 until SA sent me a letter about it. Guess they got my info from the dealer.

Before I knew anything about the recall, I thought it was odd that the slide could be dropped with the firing pin protruding. Then I found out about the recall from the letter. I tried as much as I could, several hundred rounds, to get the thing to fire without a trigger pull. It would not. But I figured if I'm going to carry this thing, then I'm going to cover my own ass and send it in for the recall. Even though the chance of this happening would be highly unlikely, I didn't want the possibility of an unintended discharge or an out-of-battery detonation under the right (wrong?) conditions (light primers, etc).

That said, I'm very happy with mine. Sent it in back in January and they turned it around in about three weeks. Trigger was different after getting it back, but I've broken it in again and I actually think it shoots better post-recall. It's a small gun and I have big hands, but it works for me.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 6:12:13 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

sight aligment grip stance breathing, work on em. Little 45 acp are a different animal to shoot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate mine.

It prints 12" groups at 5 yards.  I sent it back and they sent me a 10 yard target with a 1" group.  I know there's a difference between a Ransom rest group and handheld groups, but I am simply not that bad a shot. I can shoot 6" groups at 7 yards with my Kahr PM45.  At least the XDs had been reliable.

You missed the part I've highlighted above.  I'd be happy with that from the XDs.  It's nowhere close to that accurate.

It's not me.

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:37:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Sorry,but if the best you can do at 7 yards with your Kahr is 6" groups and you complain of your XDS being less accurate even after Springfield proves otherwise,I think the problem is you not the pistol.
My XDS will mostly keep all shots touching at seven yards offhand slowfire.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 1:15:25 PM EDT
[#29]
6" groups at 7yds?  
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 1:19:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I hate mine.

View Quote

I'm gonna go ahead and say this is an operator error. Not a gun error.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:30:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Before the recall, I was shooting 1-1.5" groups at 7 yds. Accuracy was more than adequate, particularly for such a small, light, short-barreled, .45 weapon. Even after the recall, I was still shooting 1.5-2" groups even with the harder trigger. It just wasn't reliable for me. My 5 other XD/XDM guns don't suffer that issue. Like I said above, I've got two friends that each have one and have no problems after the recall. YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 11:57:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You missed the part I've highlighted above.  I'd be happy with that from the XDs.  It's nowhere close to that accurate.

It's not me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hate mine.

It prints 12" groups at 5 yards.  I sent it back and they sent me a 10 yard target with a 1" group.  I know there's a difference between a Ransom rest group and handheld groups, but I am simply not that bad a shot. I can shoot 6" groups at 7 yards with my Kahr PM45.  At least the XDs had been reliable.

It's not me.

Yeah, it's you.  6" groups at 7 yards is not even fair shooting.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:12:29 PM EDT
[#33]
For my M&P and FNP, I use the largest backstrap. For the small XDS, I use the smallest backstrap. No idea why but when I use the larger one that feels like it fits my hand better, my groups are really low-left.

Try out the different size backstraps, or try out a grip sleeve.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 2:18:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Just to add my positive experience to the thread, I just got one yesterday.  I put about 120 rounds through it today.  I'm impressed!  No malfs, even with 50 rounds of cheap old HP ammo.  The trigger is better than I expected.  Can't brag about my groups, as I caught myself anticipating recoil and flinching.  I'm out of practice.  I was pleasantly surprised that the recoil wasn't unbearable, and follow up shots weren't that slow when shooting fast.  However, I anticipated that after 100 rounds my hand would be sore, and it was.   All in all, I'm convinced of its reliability.  Ordered some Talon grips, and I'm hunting for a better holster to get some easy single stack carrying.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:59:07 PM EDT
[#35]
I didn't send my XDs in & don't plan to. It runs and shoots fine.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:50:59 AM EDT
[#36]
I love mine, compact, light, concealable, 5+1 rounds of .45. I have 2 of them. I traded for one that was sent in for the recall... trigger was quite a heavy pull, but a couple hundred rounds and an action job helped also put the prp spring kit in. My original brand new one will never be sent in, my good friend (gunsmith) put in the prp spring kit, tfo sights, and polished everything. I stippled, aggressively,  both xds ' s which greatly helped with the grip. I used the wedge instead of the point to stipple. At the time I had to have a kydex holster made especially since I was using the compact tlr, can't remember if it's the 3. Gtg, imo.

Eta. Xds that wasn't sent in has 1700 rounds on it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:02:04 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I love mine, compact, light, concealable, 5+1 rounds of .45. I have 2 of them. I traded for one that was sent in for the recall... trigger was quite a heavy pull, but a couple hundred rounds and an action job helped also put the prp spring kit in. My original brand new one will never be sent in, my good friend (gunsmith) put in the prp spring kit, tfo sights, and polished everything. I stippled, aggressively,  both xds ' s which greatly helped with the grip. I used the wedge instead of the point to stipple. At the time I had to have a kydex holster made especially since I was using the compact tlr, can't remember if it's the 3. Gtg, imo.

View Quote
I'm still not sure if I should send mine in or not...

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:13:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wanna see your stipple job.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:13:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I was concerned about the negative comments too, I got mine a few months ago, and have put 400+rds through it, it's been flawless. I'm still reading about problems some people are having, I really believe some of the FTF/FTE are from limp wristing.
Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

I agree about the FTF/FTE issue, I love my XDS! I will be ordering a Springer precision "XDS trigger spring pack" and hopefully take a pound or so off the trigger, I have no issue with the trigger as is but I would like it to be a bit lighter, It seems heavy compared to my XDM but theXDS trigger is just as nice.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 12:57:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Love mine, very comfortable cc gun.  300 or so rounds many types of ammo no problems.

Question:  what night sights work on this gun?

Xds .45 3.3 inch

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 10:13:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Xds .45 3.3 inch
View Quote

I put XS Bog Dots on mine:

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:51:44 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate mine.

It's not me.

Let me send you my XDs.  Shoot it and report back.  Maybe you can do better than 12" @ 7yds.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:58:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Love mine, very comfortable cc gun.  300 or so rounds many types of ammo no problems.

Xds .45 3.3 inch

View Quote

I've got the Diamond Speed Night Sights on mine. A little on the expensive side but they're beautiful and really easy to see.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:03:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Damn guys, I thought I was hot stuff with my 6" group at 7 yards with my XDs.  Disappointing to know that apparently that sucks!  :{
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top