Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2014 9:28:06 PM EDT
Hello folks, I have searched and searched and have not had any luck. I NEED a beaver tail attachment for my XDs. I love the gun, but I can't go out and shoot it for fun or training without building up a layer of bloody skin on the bottom of the slide where it cuts my large hand. Anyone know of any aftermarket products that will help with this?

P.S. I'm not changing my grip to accommodate the gun. I carry a full size Glock for work and I'm not going to screw up my fundamentals for an offduty gun I could easily replace.

Thanks and Carry On!
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:23:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Considering all the Glock lovers height to bore claims maybe you should post more often!

Also considering that the frame and grip shape already keeps you about 1/4 inch below the moving parts, how about you show us a side view photo of your grip on the pistol showing us your bulging flesh in the line of action.  Maybe there is an alternative to an aftermarket solution.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Does your hand look worse than this?

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:59:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

How do you like those sights? I've had my eye on them for awhile.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 1:39:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does your hand look worse than this?

I think they're perfect for small guns like this.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 3:14:55 PM EDT
[#5]
This is EXACTLY what I am looking for as well... I DO NOT want to change my grip to accommodate this one firearm, where as, I hold ALL other handguns with the same PROPER grip.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 7:18:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I don’t think I’d want a beavertail personally.  I like the dimensions of the gun, and a little tail here, and a mag extension there, and before you know it you’re carrying a full sized gun.

I’ll wear a glove for training and practice.  I hear you though, it can get ugly after a hundred rounds or so.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 12:34:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

This is EXACTLY what I am looking for as well... I DO NOT want to change my grip to accommodate this one firearm, where as, I hold ALL other handguns with the same PROPER grip.
View Quote
Please show us a photo of your PROPER grip on the XD so that we may help you.  The OP never did.

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 6:39:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Please show us a photo of your PROPER grip on the XD so that we may help you.  The OP never did.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will do, I'll get the wife to take some pics as both my hands will be on the firearm. However, if you google "proper shooting grip" there are a TON of pics the demonstrate the proper handgun shooting grip if you don't know what it looks like.

Basically, like I tell all my students:

1. Primary hand on the pistol's grip. Don't have a gap between the top of your hand and the top of the backstrap, be choked up on it.
2. try to have the pistol in the straight line from your hand down your arm. If your hand is too small, this may not be possible.
3. Support hand should wrap its fingers over the primary hand's fingers on the grip, and try to have as much of the meaty part of your palm (by the thumb) making contact with the grip of the pistol.
4. Place support hand thumb along the frame of the pistol below the slide. When looking from the TOP down, your thumb should be pretty much even with your trigger finger along the frame on the other side when not shooting.
4. Place the primary hand's thumb laying over the support thumb, making sure to not inadvertently activate or hold down the slide stop.

Many people get Glock bite, but I have never. This firearm is the first one that I've gotten the bite from..

I have "medium size glove" hands, and historically have always described myself as having "small paws" so it isn't like I have huge fatty mitts that are bunching up by the slide to get bitten.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 12:34:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

... This firearm is the first one that I've gotten the bite from..

I have "medium size glove" hands, and historically have always described myself as having "small paws" so it isn't like I have huge fatty mitts that are bunching up by the slide to get bitten.

View Quote
And this is why I want to see a photo.  I have "XL size glove" hands and as high up as I can grip on the XD still has 1/8" of gap between the slide and any of my flesh (generally my grip has even more space, but this is as high as I can force it).  The existing stub of a beaver tail already is lifted off of my flesh before it ends, so any extension would be cosmetic only for me.

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 10:57:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I want to see these large fleshy monstrosity's you call hands or are you Sasquatch?
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 4:56:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
... as high up as I can grip on the XD still has 1/8" of gap between the slide and any of my flesh...

View Quote

You realize that when the gun discharges it's going to force the grip back into your hand, and that 1/8" will not be 1/8" at all.

These guns DO bite, especially during long shooting sessions.  Fire a few magazines barehanded then switch to gloves if you're going to shoot much more.  In a SD situation you will not be firing 100 rounds anyway.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 1:25:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You realize that when the gun discharges it's going to force the grip back into your hand, and that 1/8" will not be 1/8" at all.

These guns DO bite, especially during long shooting sessions.  Fire a few magazines barehanded then switch to gloves if you're going to shoot much more.  In a SD situation you will not be firing 100 rounds anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

... as high up as I can grip on the XD still has 1/8" of gap between the slide and any of my flesh...

Forcing the grip back in my hand since the short beavertail shape is already above and beyond flesh contact, means it successfully pushes my flesh out of the way.

I have shot them a lot and never noticed this as a problem.   If indeed they "DO bite" it would have been noted and commented over the last 14 years or so.  I bought my first in August 2000 as an HS2000.  Since then I have bought 5 more.  I cannot argue that it does not bite you, but I can argue that if was a common issue that it would have been addressed and solved other than gloves, within the last decade.

I guess if you could show me a photo of your hands and the pistol it would help me see what you mean.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:58:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Paleo diets made all the fat hands wither away.  Problem fixed itself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top