Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2014 8:19:16 PM EDT
I'm just curious as to what it is about  the Springfield Armory Range Officer that draws so many to it?  Is it just the fact that it has target sights?

Here's my disclaimer, I have never handled or shot one. Mostly because I am not interested in a 1911 with adjustable sights. That said, these things seem to be all the rage and you can't go anywhere on the net without hearing about how everybody either wants a RO or has one and recommends them to others.
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 8:32:35 PM EDT
[#1]
its a good quality pistol at a fair price, thats it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 8:38:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That seems like a reasonable answer. However, is not the Loaded model also a great pistol for a fair price?
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Seems that unlike most purchasers, i bought it explicitly because of the target sights. I tend to shoot bullseyes with a six o clock hold and hate dot/night sights. I shoot reloads of varying weights & charges at different ranges and like the adjustable rear better than any fixed sights.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 2:41:37 AM EDT
[#4]
It's an accurate gun with a great trigger. Also available in 9mm.

If you look around, you can get one for seven bills and some change.

The finish sucks.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 6:05:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

All the stuff you want in a gun and none of the fluff.
Round top slide
No f**king front serrations
Decent adjustable rear sights.
Pretty much ready to get to it out of the box.

All it needs for us lefties is am ambi safety.

I'm saving to get one to succeed my current carry gun.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 11:24:45 AM EDT
[#6]
It's half ass cheap and doesn't have front serrations.

If they'd offer 'em with a Novak dovetail instead of the retarded adjustable, they'd sell a lot more.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 12:53:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If they'd offer 'em with a Novak dovetail instead of the retarded adjustable, they'd sell a lot more.
View Quote

Ding ding winner winner chicken dinner.

Buds has the 45 at $683. Thats a damn good price.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 6:49:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Marketing. Lot$ of marketing dollar$.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 8:48:39 PM EDT
[#9]
All the above.  My RO is my #1 carry.  The only thing I did was install night sights And Cerakoted her.

That's 4 eight rd mags thru that hole at 7 yds. And she eats everything.

Cheers
Ron
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 10:50:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Just like the Springfield page says, built to the same specs as the Trophy Match and TRP models but without the extra frills. You get slide to frame and bushing fit that is superb and that makes a huge difference in accuracy.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 10:17:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Ii have had many Colt, Kimber and other Springfield's but when I got my RO, I got rid of many of them including a Warrior.  My RO is the most accurate .45 that I have ever owned.  It has been my work gun and the one I carry most every day.  My only bitch about is is the rear sight.  It has put my arm to sleep several times now when my funny bone bangs the sharp corners.  I would like to have the frame hard chromed but I would hate to be without it for several weeks.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 9:58:28 PM EDT
[#12]
What more can you say
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/25/2014 4:09:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That seems like a reasonable answer. However, is not the Loaded model also a great pistol for a fair price?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My thoughts exactly.  The adjustable sights were not a big draw for me, and the night sights were - so I went with the Loaded model instead.  YMMV
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 6:02:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Honestly, to me, since Springfield discontinued all the Brazilian labor, the build quality on everything from the Mil-spec to the TRP seems the same.  The higher up in the catalog you go the better the fit and finish is.  If it's below a loaded, there will likely be some slide overhang at the back where it's not hand fitted, but it will function great.

The big reason why the Range Officer is a success: They're building them.  If I go look at any of my distributors at work on any given day, Ranger Officers are in stock, followed by Mil-specs, but hardly any Loaded models, or TRPs.
I love everything about the Range Officer but the rear sight, so simply change that and you're good to go.

I love Springfield and have owned 4 of their 1911s, but they're not trying to be Kimber. If they had 50 different 1911s you could order from the Range Officer might not enjoy the popularity that it does. But, since they are a little more conservative on their 1911 catalog, it means you take what you can get and currently for the money the RO is the best bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 1:52:21 AM EDT
[#15]
It's a shooter, right out of the box.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 8:16:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love my loaded.

however, the RO has a better barrel / bushing fit
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 1:58:00 AM EDT
[#17]
It's the cheapest 1911 with good fitting on the barrel/bushing/slide that I'm aware of.

It's become a mantra that "everything on a 1911 needs fitting," but you'd be surprised how many 1911 are parts bin, assembly line guns. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, but will not produce optimum results.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:54:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a friend that is asking $600 for a Springfield RO 1911. Is that a fair price? Not familiar with the 1911 as I just recently became interested in them. Would I be better off finding a new one even if it meant a different brand? Thanks for any advice.

Dave
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:58:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I love my loaded.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love my loaded.

This is no longer true with Imbel being out of the picture for the new production pistols.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:59:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have a friend that is asking $600 for a Springfield RO 1911. Is that a fair price? Not familiar with the 1911 as I just recently became interested in them. Would I be better off finding a new one even if it meant a different brand? Thanks for any advice.

Dave
View Quote

As long as he didn't buba anything its a decent priced for a used RO. Buds has new ones for $723 right now, I haven't seen them much lower anywhere. Locally, they are $800+
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:34:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Ditto on the more fitting of RO's.  I have the RO and my son has the Stainless Loaded.  Neither of us likes his Loaded which shoots low and recoils 'funny."  Seems rougher too.  The only complaint about my RO is the trigger is too light, less than four pounds.  I detail cleaned it and it is almost four pounds now, too easy to double tap.  BTW, my RO is an "MN" gun and Andrews is an "N", meaning mine was assembled in the US and his was not.

My RO is parked BTW, but SS is good too.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 12:15:11 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote

I'd have one, if they had Novak instead of the adjustable.  With Novak dovetail, it'd be exactly what I want.  The target sights kill it for me.  :(

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 8:21:24 PM EDT
[#23]
The sights are the only thing I would change.

Picked it up today for $713 from my local shop, plus a coupon for 3 additional mags free from Springfield
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 3:08:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Bought one because of the sights.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:21:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It's a shooter, right out of the box.
View Quote

This, I took mine straight from getting it to a Steel Challenge match, shot it and won first place single stack at our club match.  Not to bad considering I had never shot it, not even sighted it in and just jumped right into a match.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:29:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had both at the same time and ended up selling the RO to keep the loaded.  The loaded has front serrations and different sights, which is about the only difference.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 9:57:51 AM EDT
[#27]
I also bought it because it comes in 9mm with adjustable sights so I can dial in different loads/reloads easily.  It's my competition gun.  I don't understand why people complain that it has adjustable sights and talk down on the gun because of that.  IT'S A RANGE GUN/COMPETITION GUN and built as such and marketed as such.  If you want a combat/carry style gun, get something different.  1911's can have another bushing fit so it's tighter and the frame/slide tightened fairly easily, so if you want the tighter fit, it can be done on other guns.  If you want something tighter, get a Dan Wesson that is fit MUCH tighter/smoother and a higher quality internal parts set.  People want the RO to be something it's not because it's less expensive.  They want a cheap Dan Wesson type fit, but you are also paying for the extra quality parts internally, too.  

I love my RO for a comp. gun and my dad loves his and my mom wants one now.  They are great guns, but don't talk down on them for what they aren't supposed to be!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top