Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2014 2:29:24 PM EDT
I'm looking for a conceal carry pistol and I've been eyeballing the XDS .45 ACP. After searching these forums though it seems there's been quite a few problems with feeding, ejecting, and other stoppages. I'd appreciate anyones review of the gun who has PERSONALLY OWNED this weapon, good or bad. Specifics about any stoppages or the lack of would help out also. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 3:07:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine has been problem free.

About 300 rounds through it BEFORE the recall, and about 250 more since the recall.

No complaints, other than not having it for about 6 weeks when it had to be sent to Springfield for their fix.  Its great for CC, shoots nice for such a small .45, and is more than accurate enough for a defensive pistol.

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 3:13:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a XDs 45 a couple months ago and I really like it. I've only put a couple hundred rounds or so through it but I've never had an issue.  The only negative thing I could say is the trigger sucks. But there is a aftermarket trigger spring kit available that I'm going to probably put in it. The sights aren't bad either for stock.

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 3:20:34 PM EDT
[#3]
While I never had actual malfunctions with the gun (when using the loading procedure in the manual) I had one for over a year and recently sold it. Here's why:

-Would not eject live ammo without having to turn the gun upside down and jiggle the slide

-Must use slide release to reliably load first round. It even says this in the manual. I am not the only one who had issue with using the slingshot method, even racking the shit out of it. A lot of people that don't have the issue say that the people who do have issues are just being pussies. I don't have this problem with any of my other semi-autos.

In the end these two issues made me uncomfortable using this as a carry gun. And it's certainly no range gun. So it's gone.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 4:09:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a XDS45 bi-tone that went through the recall and currently own a new post recall all black XDS45. Both have been 100% reliable with any ball or HP 230gr. ammo. I haven't used any other weight 45acp ammo since I find it the most accurate and reliable in any 45 handgun I've owned. Like other small pistols, it can be manually racked, but you must let go when the slide is to the rear. Some have reported jams by racking it this way, but I haven't and don't even think about doing it when loading a fresh mag. I just think people are riding the slide or not letting go at the most rearward position. The XDS is not the only small, tightly sprung gun that this can happen to.

Link Posted: 4/5/2014 6:22:06 AM EDT
[#5]
0 issues with mine, pre and post recall.
The trigger, as received back from SA with some use is a bit under 6.5 lb and a little smoother....not bad at all, for what it is.
Accurate little bugger too.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 8:30:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Ive had mine since a couple weeks after they came out. 511xxx serial. In my first 500 rounds I have had 6 fte's and and 4 light strikes because it didn't fully go into battery. The live round ejection wiggle sucks. I have not sent it in for the recall because I dont want a heavier trigger. I have about 1500 rds through it now and haven't had any problems in the last 1000 or so.

I do not use this for everyday carry.  Only when I am in the middle of nowhere for fending off lions and bears when a full size gun isn't practical for my application.

I would recommend it if you got one that ran flawless from day one. But for me, I still ccw something else. Animals are one thing. Bad guys are another.

Link Posted: 4/5/2014 11:02:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I picked one up last month and have not had any failures. The SN was not in the range of the recall, so this one was built post recall. I don't have any issues trusting it, it's my CCW.

Link Posted: 4/6/2014 12:02:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a XDS45 bi-tone that went through the recall and currently own a new post recall all black XDS45. Both have been 100% reliable with any ball or HP 230gr. ammo. I haven't used any other weight 45acp ammo since I find it the most accurate and reliable in any 45 handgun I've owned. Like other small pistols, it can be manually racked, but you must let go when the slide is to the rear. Some have reported jams by racking it this way, but I haven't and don't even think about doing it when loading a fresh mag. I just think people are riding the slide or not letting go at the most rearward position. The XDS is not the only small, tightly sprung gun that this can happen to.

View Quote

This.  The only time mine has jammed is when WEAKLY racking the slide.  Just grip it and rip it like a man and it should treat you fine.  Also, mine went through the recall and the trigger was crap when it got back.  The PRP springs kit took it from almost 9 lbs to about 5.5; absolutely worth it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 9:33:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
While I never had actual malfunctions with the gun (when using the loading procedure in the manual) I had one for over a year and recently sold it. Here's why:

-Would not eject live ammo without having to turn the gun upside down and jiggle the slide
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This is a problem....why?  I eject a live round maybe three or four times a year at most.  I'm not trying to sound critical but I don't understand why you need to eject a live round and why a little jiggling is so troublesome.

-Must use slide release to reliably load first round. It even says this in the manual. I am not the only one who had issue with using the slingshot method, even racking the shit out of it.

What's wrong with the slide release?

To the OP; I've had mine for about a year now.  I had a couple incidents where it failed to return to battery back during the first hundred rounds through it, but it's been 100% since then.  The trigger came back from the recall a little stiff, but some dry-fire took it away.  It's one of the guns in rotation for carry, and the smallest gun I own for concealed carry.  (In fact, I don't even have a holster to carry it openly)  
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 9:49:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
This is a problem....why?  I eject a live round maybe three or four times a year at most.  I'm not trying to sound critical but I don't understand why you need to eject a live round and why a little jiggling is so troublesome.
To the OP; I've had mine for about a year now.  I had a couple incidents where it failed to return to battery back during the first hundred rounds through it, but it's been 100% since then.  The trigger came back from the recall a little stiff, but some dry-fire took it away.  It's one of the guns in rotation for carry, and the smallest gun I own for concealed carry.  (In fact, I don't even have a holster to carry it openly)  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

-Must use slide release to reliably load first round. It even says this in the manual. I am not the only one who had issue with using the slingshot method, even racking the shit out of it.

Those two things were always nagging at the back of my mind while I was carrying my XDs. If I get in a situation where I actually have to use my gun, then things have gone south. I don't want to rely on only using the slidestop to load a round. If I had a bad round or it didn't load properly due to not using the slidestop, I don't want to have to turn my gun upside down, wiggle it, let the round fall out, lock the slide back, and then push the slide release again. That may not bother some people, but for me it just lowered my comfort level. I want a 100% comfort level in a carry gun.

Link Posted: 4/7/2014 10:00:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Those two things were always nagging at the back of my mind while I was carrying my XDs. If I get in a situation where I actually have to use my gun, then things have gone south. I don't want to rely on only using the slidestop to load a round. If I had a bad round or it didn't load properly due to not using the slidestop, I don't want to have to turn my gun upside down, wiggle it, let the round fall out, lock the slide back, and then push the slide release again. That may not bother some people, but for me it just lowered my comfort level. I want a 100% comfort level in a carry gun.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PCBliss, just curious, did you have the recall work done on the gun?  I sent mine in, and never experienced either of the issues you noted, before or since the recall.  

I didn't bother really reading the manual thoroughly, but have never had a problem chambering a round with the slingshot method, nor have I had an issue ejecting a round (it actually pops them up high enough in the air that I can be "cool" and catch the ejected round in my weak hand once the chamber has been emptied ).

I have not had either of these issues, which is why I was wondering if maybe it was related to the recall some how.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 11:36:08 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
PCBliss, just curious, did you have the recall work done on the gun?  I sent mine in, and never experienced either of the issues you noted, before or since the recall.  
I didn't bother really reading the manual thoroughly, but have never had a problem chambering a round with the slingshot method, nor have I had an issue ejecting a round (it actually pops them up high enough in the air that I can be "cool" and catch the ejected round in my weak hand once the chamber has been emptied ).
I have not had either of these issues, which is why I was wondering if maybe it was related to the recall some how.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine had the issues pre and post recall. Some people have the problem, a lot don't. It's probably also ammo dependent. I just didn't want my carry gun to have such stringent requirements to operate reliably, so I went back to my G26 & G19 for carry.

I think the XDs is just pusing the limits dimensionally for the .45 cartridge that there is more chance for problems even if everything was made to Springfield's spec.

Like I said before, people that don't have these issues are quick to jump on the people that do, telling them they aren't racking it properly, not using the right ammo, etc etc. I just know I don't have this problem with any of my other semi-autos so I will use those. It is possible to find yourself in a less than optimal situation and I wasn't comfortable having a carry gun that would only work reliably in an optimal situation.

Link Posted: 4/7/2014 1:14:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:Mine had the issues pre and post recall. Some people have the problem, a lot don't. It's probably also ammo dependent. I just didn't want my carry gun to have such stringent requirements to operate reliably, so I went back to my G26 & G19 for carry.  

I think the XDs is just pusing the limits dimensionally for the .45 cartridge that there is more chance for problems even if everything was made to Springfield's spec.

Like I said before, people that don't have these issues are quick to jump on the people that do, telling them they aren't racking it properly, not using the right ammo, etc etc. I just know I don't have this problem with any of my other semi-autos so I will use those. It is possible to find yourself in a less than optimal situation and I wasn't comfortable having a carry gun that would only work reliably in an optimal situation.

View Quote

Thanks for the reply, and yep, if those problems started to come up when I was shooting I probably wouldn't feel comfortable carrying the gun either.

Similar thing happened to me with my FNP-45, tons of folks rave about them, but mine was too picky with ammo and FN told me they won't support that gun any longer since they have the FNX out now, so I unloaded it.  No sense having a finicky gun that you may need to depend on one day, no matter how many good reviews there are out there.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 6:54:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I just got back from my first range session with the XDs .45

Good news, and bad news.

The good news is that I shot 50 rounds and experienced no failures of any kind.  I slingshotted the slide every time I put a new mag in, and had no issues.  There were no function problems of any kind.

But.......... the gun is keyholing like CRAZY!  I fired the first 5 shots at 12 yards, and 2 of them hit the paper.  It took me another mag to verify that the sights weren't off that much - the gun was just spraying rounds all over the place, and when they did hit the paper, the chances of an obvious keyhole were about 50%.

I fired two full mags at 7 yards, and 2 rounds hit - at opposite corners of the target.  REALLY BAD.

I was shooting Aguilla 230gr. FMJ.  I'm going to try some other ammo.  My TRP shoots that Aguilla just fine.  It's not the recoil either.  I've shot my Kahr PM45 and my Ruger LCR to POI for 'decent groups' with no problem, and both of those guns feel 'snappier' than the XDs.

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:17:24 PM EDT
[#15]
That is a defect for sure.  Did you just get it back from the recall or buy new?  Either way, get in touch with SA and send it to them for repair.  Shouldnt cost you much, if anything, as it should be under warranty under either circumstance.

If you've had it before the recall AND didnt send it in you might be in trouble.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:19:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I have not had feed problems or accurate problems at all on my XDs 45
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 9:26:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

That is a defect for sure.  Did you just get it back from the recall or buy new?  Either way, get in touch with SA and send it to them for repair.  Shouldnt cost you much, if anything, as it should be under warranty under either circumstance.

If you've had it before the recall AND didnt send it in you might be in trouble.
View Quote

I bought it new about two weeks ago.

I took it back out last night and ran some 165gr. Low Recoil Hydra-Shoks through it.  No evidence of keyholing, but at 5 yards, from a rest, the gun was shooting six-inch groups, about 6" low and 8" right.  At 5 yards.  From a rest.

I e-mailed SA tech support and am waiting for an RMA.

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 10:38:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Here's a target I shot at an indoor range while I was visiting Utah.  20' off-hand with the XS Big Dot sights.

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 5:20:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I get really good groups with mine and ive got probably 7-800 rounds through mine. it feeds even cheap steel cased tulammo. however, I will say, its not like some of my other springfields. on a normal xd, you can be nice to it when you rack the slide. on the xds, you have to jerk it back and let it go otherwise it will jam, its been like that since day 1. if you lock the slide back and just drop it with the release it is just fine. its a great carry pistol. I carry in the waistband in the back, so the more aggressive stippling on the grips kind of scratches me if I wear it all day long without an undershirt. over all, if I had to rate it:

4.5/5

feeding: 3.5-only low because im spoiled by my other pistols- treat this pistol like you would an ak47...
fast target aquisation: 5-front sight is incredible
grip: 4.8- very aggressive, I would prefer something slightly smoother, but that's just me.
accuracy: 5- 2" slow groups at 60 yards
recoil: 4.5- its a .45...its not going to be great, it doesn't feel like shooting a small frame pistol though.  it shoots like a fullsize
size: 5- great size for me as I have fairly small hands, might be a problem if you've got bigger hands, but it works great for me.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 10:18:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Bought mine 3 weeks ago, manufactured 7/13. Dealer sent for recall. Wasn't sure I wanted that one but took it.
It's been perfect. Accurate and a blast to shoot.

Definitely requires aggressive slingshotting to load. Once you understand that the Xds  is awesome

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p93/MaxGee/XDs/358B9427-C590-49F0-8342-7C2E77705220_zpshnex5r4v.jpg
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 12:17:30 AM EDT
[#21]
I just picked up a used XDS45 and shot it for the first time today. Only had 100 rounds of WWB target rounds to shoot but I only had one FTF when shooting a magazine one handed. Must have been slightly limp wristing. It loaded just fine sling-shotting and by releasing the slide stop.

On the first few shots I thought it was slightly key-holing but can't be sure.

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:16:09 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought mine a few weeks ago. I took it too the range today and was shooting at 8" steel plates at 20 yds. 50 rounds no misses or malfunctions.

Update 04/21/2014: as of this weekend I installed the Powder River Precision XDS spring kit. The available videos aren't the best, hands covering the gun at critical times. It took me about an hour and a half. I had to disassemble it a second time as the little leg for the grip safety was in wrong. The trigger pull is down around 5# from 7.5#. This is a huge improvement as I was consistently hitting low at the range. The action feels better too. You have to almost completely disassemble the lower when installing the springs. I think this loosened everything up, it went back together and apart much easier the second time. Ejecting a round from the chamber manually is easier too.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 1:16:14 AM EDT
[#23]
I have mine on me about 10 hours a day, few hundred rounds through it, no issues, thinking about going the Big Dot tritium route, and I'd love to find a reasonably priced leather shoulder rig.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:02:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I still haven't sent one of mine in for the recall,  but 1k rounds of WWB/Federal 230 ball through and 0 problems... carry it daily. Picked up a second one last week that had been through the recall and have not brought it to the range yet. Just received the PRP spring kits for both. I have also noticed some keyholing.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:18:18 PM EDT
[#25]
I've had once since a couple months after release and I've had zero problems with mine. I thought the trigger was better before the recall but I'll take the trade off.

ETA: Spend a couple bucks and grab the pearce grip extensions.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:40:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I picked up an XDS 45 in December, with a post recall serial number.  The only problem I have had with the firearm (in about 700 rounds) is that it is very hard to locate the 7round magazines which I want to carry as backup mags!

She has been a good troop, and everyone who I have let have a go with her has wanted one of their own.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:46:46 AM EDT
[#27]
I traded a guy an acog for one + some cash.  He bought it pre-recall and sent it in.  When he got it back he traded it to me.  I've put several hundred rds through it and all were flawless.  I have to say, it's probably one of the most accurate compacts I've ever shot.  I feel more confident with it than I do my own duty weapon - a H&K P2000.  I've tried racking it, using the mag release, with both 5 and 7 rd mags and I've never had a round FTF or jam like some here have mentioned.  The trigger on this one isn't tough or gritty either.  All in all it's an awesome carry gun.  

One thing I will say is that I was expecting it to have a lot more kick than it does.  It feels less than my 40 cal which surprised the hell out of me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:47:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I traded a guy an acog for one + some cash.  He bought it pre-recall and sent it in.  When he got it back he traded it to me.  I've put several hundred rds through it and all were flawless.  I have to say, it's probably one of the most accurate compacts I've ever shot.  I feel more confident with it than I do my own duty weapon - a H&K P2000.  I've tried racking it, using the mag release, with both 5 and 7 rd mags and I've never had a round FTF or jam like some here have mentioned.  The trigger on this one isn't tough or gritty either.  All in all it's an awesome carry gun.  

One thing I will say is that I was expecting it to have a lot more kick than it does.  It feels less than my 40 cal which surprised the hell out of me.
View Quote

Likewise. My full size FNP40 has more snap than my XDS45.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 11:56:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I've had once since a couple months after release and I've had zero problems with mine. I thought the trigger was better before the recall but I'll take the trade off.

ETA: Spend a couple bucks and grab the pearce grip extensions.
View Quote

I agree on the grip extensions.  I have them on both of the 5rd mags.  I finally took mine out this weekend after receiving it back from recall around late January (if memory serves).  I didn't shoot it on paper.  I was just skipping an old 16.9oz coke bottle around.  I  was running bulk Federal Champion through it and had no issues.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 11:57:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I too was really surprised by the lack of recoil for such a small pistol.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:41:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Post recall XDs 45 here. Put 200 rounds of mixed ball ammo (Federal, Rem, PMC, Aguila) through it on Good Friday. Zero issues. So long as you are aggressively racking the slide you will be fine. She likes it rough.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:32:46 AM EDT
[#32]
I had no malfunctions with my XDS in .45. It handled everything fine. Keep in mind that it's main purpose is built for self protection/concealed carry. It's not a "fun day at the range" kinda gun. After several factory rounds your hands will start to feel the wrath from those grips. The 9mm XD is probably a bit tamer.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:13:59 AM EDT
[#33]
I’m enjoying the thread and all the information within.  I got my .45 ACP XDs back several months back but just not got out to the range due to recently returning from TDY.   So today was the day I took it to the range.  I had spent about two hour’s dry firing on snap caps as the trigger didn’t feel very crisp.  Also, I notice with a full magazine, it was almost impossible to depress the magazine release.  Has anyone experienced this issue?

All in all, the firearm performed well, with not malfunctions.  I used both factory 5 (w/o extensions) and 7 round magazines without a single issue.  Has anyone noticed when inserting a 7 round magazine that it has the tendency to pinch your palm or is that just me?  At 5, 7 and 10 yards I did notice a tendency to shot a little right (I’m right handed) and low.  I am attributing this mainly to me anticipating the recoil and pushing the muzzle down.  Any ideas,

It’s a great little firearm and I only put about 100 rounds through it before the recall.  Are there any quality aftermarket trigger or good factory trigger upgrades out there?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I’m enjoying the thread and all the information within.  I got my .45 ACP XDs back several months back but just not got out to the range due to recently returning from TDY.   So today was the day I took it to the range.  I had spent about two hour’s dry firing on snap caps as the trigger didn’t feel very crisp.  Also, I notice with a full magazine, it was almost impossible to depress the magazine release.  Has anyone experienced this issue?

All in all, the firearm performed well, with not malfunctions.  I used both factory 5 (w/o extensions) and 7 round magazines without a single issue.  Has anyone noticed when inserting a 7 round magazine that it has the tendency to pinch your palm or is that just me?  At 5, 7 and 10 yards I did notice a tendency to shot a little right (I’m right handed) and low.  I am attributing this mainly to me anticipating the recoil and pushing the muzzle down.  Any ideas,

It’s a great little firearm and I only put about 100 rounds through it before the recall.  Are there any quality aftermarket trigger or good factory trigger upgrades out there?

Thanks in advance for the help.
View Quote

I didn't get pinched by the 7 rounder, but I did notice that the spring seemed a lot stiffer than the ones in the (2) 5 rounders.  The little sleeve was annoying while loading the 7, thus I took it off until the mag was full, then slid it back down the mag.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:09:08 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm interested in picking up a 45 for when I don't feel like carrying my full size M&P

Are the new XDs' safe to buy, and I've read that trigger performance was degraded due to the fix? Did Springfield change/modify anything on the pistol that made it worse?  Seems like in the beginning that people were ranting and raving about them until the problems began to multiply.  Also seems like there are some complaints on the fixed as well as new models.

Link Posted: 5/7/2014 6:00:26 PM EDT
[#36]
I haven't read anything other than OP's post so far, so here goes.

I have the XDs .45. I love it. I wear it in a crossbreed mini tuck or a harwell deluxe depending on shorts or pants. I have had ZERO, 0, NONE, NO jams, misfeeds, misfires etc out of about 200-250 rounds. I carry it with a full load of Barnes Tac-XPD 185 gr. These rounds fire with no problems, but if you press check a lot they will rub on the feed ramp and cause a jam during press checks. Simple fix is to rub down the feed ramp with a finger every now and then.

I shoot it at the range with regular WWB and have had no problems. I put a talon grip, and truglo TFO sights on it via xd man. This gun is easy to shoot, easy to aim, and I have had no real issues with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top