Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2014 2:47:27 AM EDT
Howdy!

I want to install night sights on my XD and after some online research came up with these tools.   Anyone has any of them or has any advice?

I read everything from tips that worked from horror stories including have to send them to Springfield to replace.  Sine I like to do most things myself I do not mind investing on a reasonably priced tool.   If it also works on other brands like Glock much better.

www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=9777&title=SEMI+AUTO+UNIVERSAL+SIGHT+TOOL&s=25256#25256

This one looks a bit better, but since I'll not be using it all the time like a pro, does the extra price justifies it?

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/sight-scope-installation-tools/sight-movers/sight-pro-prod60424.aspx

This one seems to be the Rolls Royce of the tools and not sure the price justifies the difference from the others.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/sight-scope-installation-tools/sight-movers/universal-sight-installation-tool-prod6841.aspx

Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 2:16:14 PM EDT
[#1]
The Meprolight tools is much better IMO, but you will need to make custom jaws to hold the XD/XDM slides. If you are only doing a few sights, I would not mess with a pusher. I would get a good vise and make jaws to hold the slide, a hardened steel punch, and a proper dovetail file. We charge $35 to install sights, and have done thousands of XD/XDM sights and all of our tools are custom made for doing them. We DO NOT use a pusher to remove sight, only final installation (if needed.)
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 7:04:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!

Yep.  I understood that best way to remove old sights is with a dremmel and use a pushing tool to install the new ones.  Is that correct?

Apparently they are glued or compressed so tight that we almost need a sledgehammer to remove them.   I gave a try a few days ago and they did not budge.  

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 8:05:07 PM EDT
[#3]
No, that is for people who don't know what they are doing. You can easily install the new sights with a brass or aluminum punch if you fit them properly with a dovetail file. If you are installing tritium sights, you would want to push them. A good vise with jaws that will hold the slide solid and a hardened steel punch is all you need to remove them. I have a quick change system with jaws for every slide width.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 4:02:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I picked up one of these to remove my rear site on my XDm...
http://www.sightpusher.com/
Works. Reasonably priced compared to others out there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top