Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2017 4:24:36 PM EDT
Anyone have first hand experience with the new S&W 586 pistols (produced post 2012)?

I am as big a fan of the old school, pre-lock models as anyone but I am looking at this pistol as a gift and I would prefer that it be a new gun.

The lock and modern hammer design are not really a factor for this purchase.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:12:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a 586, but bought a new 686 2 years ago. Didn't take long for find a couple plinking loads for it. These are the actual test targets used, not hand picked/cherry picked targets by any means. 6-shot groups @ 50ft.

I know any mfg can put out a lemon but so far s&w has treated me extremely well owning 30+ of them over the decades.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:39:49 AM EDT
[#2]
First and second photo on the S&W site clearly show a wavy cut barrel contour along the top of the barrel.  Given that is what they choose to showcase on their site should tell you everything they need to know.  However, I did recently buy a new TALO 686 and its pretty nice, however still not sure if the barrel is straight.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-586-4-barrel
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:23:56 AM EDT
[#3]
My buddy bought the 3" 686 Plus - He Loves It!  He carries it in a Alessi CQC-S.  We shot side-by-side with my 4" 686 and the new Plus has a nice shorter stroke trigger.  Nice revolver to carry.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 4:53:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a 586 classic earlier this year. Lock and all. It is a great gun, bluing looks awesome and deep. The trigger is better than my old 15-1 and that is saying something.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Although the lock is stupid, I don't think I'd let it stop me from buying a new one.  The 686's and a few other new Smiths I fondled at the LGS had really nice DA triggers.   Although I will say I've fondled a few J frames that the trigger was like, Dude.  The last 637 I fondled had a pretty heavy trigger.  My 442's trigger is pretty heavy.  It's starting to smooth out and lighten up a bit with use though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 8:32:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not a 586, but bought a new 686 2 years ago. Didn't take long for find a couple plinking loads for it. These are the actual test targets used, not hand picked/cherry picked targets by any means. 6-shot groups @ 50ft.
http://i.imgur.com/qPiOeN8.jpg

I know any mfg can put out a lemon but so far s&w has treated me extremely well owning 30+ of them over the decades.
View Quote
Whose bullets are those?

To answer OP’s question, I bought a new 686 earlier this year and I love it. Of course, I DID put a lock plug in it, a lighter rebound slide spring, and a Wilson mainspring...
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:47:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Whose bullets are those?

To answer OP’s question, I bought a new 686 earlier this year and I love it. Of course, I DID put a lock plug in it, a lighter rebound slide spring, and a Wilson mainspring...
View Quote
Those are bullets I cast from a custom mold (mihec 359-640). They're real thumpers! The penta point hp is an excellent bullet for snub nosed revolvers or 158gr sub's for the 9mm and are best in the 800fps to 1000fps range. The large round hp hits hard & is at it's best in the 1000fps to 1200fps range. The solid nosed version is a 170gr bullet & it hits hard. I also like the fact that the bullet has 2 crimp grooves, those 38spl rounds pictured above are crimped in the bottom lube groove.

I've owned several 586's in the past, bought this 1 nib in 1987.

I beat on that revolver and then beat on it some more. Had over 275,000 rounds down the tube in that revolver. The cylinders & bbl finely got shot out. Was getting 50fps+ less velocity from the same loads that I tested years ago.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:40:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I ended up going for it. New production 586. Build quality appears to be excellent. I looked it over very carefully before purchase and I could not find one knit pick.

Gun is stuck in jail (3 day wait on pistols here in Illinois). Will post pics when I have it back in hand.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 6:19:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Great buy on your 586. Last month I purchased my first S&W revolver since 1982. It's a 686 Plus L frame round butt. I didn't even know about the lock and internal firing pin changes. No big deal. Still has that great S&W feel, trigger and quality made. My only beef is the rubber grips that came with it need to be changed out for my larger hands. Looking forward to pictures. Your going to enjoy your new 586!
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 3:16:02 PM EDT
[#10]
How long of a barrel did you get?
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#11]
4"

Balance on the 6" didn't feel right.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 7:44:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I've always loved the 586/686 guns

My Andy Horvath 5" custom....

Link Posted: 9/30/2017 7:54:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I have two of them.  A no dash and a dash 1.  Both are 6" barreled guns.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 8:53:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
4"

Balance on the 6" didn't feel right.
View Quote
Niiiiiiiiiiiice!!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 9:03:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I recently bought a 5" TALO 686.  Build quality is pretty good although there are scuffs in the finish that look like came from a vise at the factory.  I really like the 5", splits the difference between the too long 6" and the everyone has a 4".

However, finding a holster is a pain.

Oh yeah, the TALO .357 marked grips look cool, but are lousy to shoot.  Your hand just rides up them... replaced them with Pach grippers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top