Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2017 8:27:25 PM EDT
I've recently got back into revolvers again after a long hiatus, which had led me to be more on the lookout lately when looking at my local stores and on Armslist

Was looking through Armslist I saw a posting for a S&W 640-1, the pictures weren't the greatest but the guy was willing to trade (which is a must for me cause I'm expecting my first kid so funds are tight). We exchanged emails back and forth, finally arranging a deal for a Glock 43 I had gotten on trade for the 640-1

I had looked up the price ranges in my area, they were selling around $450-600 in good condition. Worked out a straight trade with the gentleman and meet up earlier today

Once we met up, I got to looking over the revolver while he did the same with the Glock 43. The gentleman I got it from hadn't cleaned it in some time, had owned it for the past 5 years, and had the worse grips (at least in my humble opinion possible) Barami hip grips which I immediately took off to check the frame. They hadn't been off in some time for cleaning, so some surface rust and pitting had started around the edges. Also the left side of the trigger has bad putting on it

Normally once a deal is struck with someone, I stick to it unless something comes up but this was in alot rougher shape than was advertised and from pictures he had sent me before we met. We struck up a conversation, renegotiated the deal to were I was comfortable doing it and to compensate for the miscommunication.

I got it home and started cleaning it up. Trigger is very nice, I really enjoy the weight of the revolver. Got to thinking about it, made a call to my local gunsmith and asked about bead blasting it. To completely clean up the revolver, bead blast it, and install new spring will run me about $150. Just have to make up my mind about whether I want to go that route

It's pictured without the grips cause I didn't want to put them back on cause I disliked the Baramis so much. Do have a set of Altaman boot grips ordered for it

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:46:13 PM EDT
[#1]
This seems to be one of the top choices for a carry J frame.  I like it.  Wish I had one.  I've been unwilling to drop the dough on one thus far cuz I don't really NEED it.  I have a G26 I might want to trade for one but haven't found the right deal yet.  Or another steel frame J frame.  I like the 649.  

Hopefully it shoots fine despite the wear.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:56:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Love my 640.  If I ever have to sell everything, that's the one I'd keep.

Just ordered some desantis clip grips.  I used to use the barami with a Tyler t grip.  And it was always a good shooter. But different strokes for different folks

Also thing about putting a xs big dot front sight on it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 11:46:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Why not do the full clean up yourself?  The J-frame is actually not that hard to fully disassemble, and spring kits are relatively cheap.

As for the bead blasting, I saw a blasting booth at harbor freight the other day for $135... It was very tempting for this very reason.

DIY is always much more satisfying

This video is on a Airweight, but the parts are the same.

Link Posted: 8/3/2017 12:02:33 AM EDT
[#4]
It's a nice one! What altamont grips did you order?
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 10:09:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a nice one! What altamont grips did you order?
View Quote
Honestly don't know which model cause I picked them up off a member on a different forum
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 10:13:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This seems to be one of the top choices for a carry J frame.  I like it.  Wish I had one.  I've been unwilling to drop the dough on one thus far cuz I don't really NEED it.  I have a G26 I might want to trade for one but haven't found the right deal yet.  Or another steel frame J frame.  I like the 649.  

Hopefully it shoots fine despite the wear.
View Quote
I've been cleaning on it and looking it over since I got it. After posting I started doing more research and posted on various forms I'm member to. It's definitely becoming a favorite of mine, mainly cause I can see the beauty and craftsmanship in it.

Even though she's a bit ugly right now, I'm going to get her cleaned back up as best I can and give her a new well deserved life

Plus looking forward to going to the indoor range again and hiding it amongst my Glocks wanting for everyone to get used to the sounds of 9mm and 380 then sneak this out the range bag to wake everyone up
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:19:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Had some free time, so have slowly been working on cleaning up the 340-1

Still need to do some more work on it, just taking my time and slowly working on it.

Got my new grips in, Altamont boot grips which I really like. Alot better than those trips that were on it when I got it.

Also had some down time the other day and went to my local gun store, checked out the new S&W 340 PD, make have to pick one of them up as well. But for now, will just work on paying off a 442 I have on layaway

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Still need to do some more work on it, just taking my time and slowly working on it.

Got my new grips in, Altamont boot grips which I really like. Alot better than those trips that were on it when I got it.

Also had some down time the other day and went to my local gun store, checked out the new S&W 340 PD, make have to pick one of them up as well. But for now, will just work on paying off a 442 I have on layaway

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/394510/IMG_20170804_180603-271674.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/394510/IMG_20170804_181217-271676.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/394510/IMG_20170804_181241-271677.JPG
View Quote
That is a very nice pistol.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:56:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That is a very nice pistol.
View Quote
Thanks, it's a work in progress but cleaning up very nicely. Still need to do a complete disassemble on it and clean the internals. Just waiting for a few tools to arrive, clean off the work bench, and get some time again
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 11:38:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Nice gun.  The 640 is my standard carry pistol.  I bought mine in 95 when they first came out.  My buddy in college had a cop dad who had a box (I mean a carboard moving box) full of .38 ammo from his days on the force, and I blasted about a 1000 rounds out of it till I was quite good.

I had mine Magna-ported, and it really tames down the kick.  

Changed out the front sight to a night sight.

Put on Crimson Trace laser grips.  They work great - no issues with zero or reliability, and make it much easier to aim.

Great gun, you'll really like it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 11:39:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Oh, and fire the 340 if you can before you buy.  They kick like mules.  For something as small as a J-frame, it's really good to have the weight of all steel as you don't have much grip to hold onto.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Thanks, it's a work in progress but cleaning up very nicely. Still need to do a complete disassemble on it and clean the internals. Just waiting for a few tools to arrive, clean off the work bench, and get some time again
View Quote
Of the two Centerfire Systems 640-1's that I bought, which is where I think yours came from, one was bone dry and kinda dirty, and the other was in pretty good shape inside. It had some lube and not much dirt. I highly recommend a tear down and clean though.

Here is what my first looked like inside.

I like to get three fingers on my J frame grips and a bit of width on the grips to spread the recoil, especially when firing +P or .357 Magnums. I picked up a set of older Sile combat grips and like them so much I now have them on both my 640-1's and my 36. I find them very easy to get my hand on when drawing compared to the stock grips and a Tyler T.

Link Posted: 8/5/2017 5:25:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/394510/IMG_20170804_180603-271674.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/394510/IMG_20170804_181217-271676.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/394510/IMG_20170804_181241-271677.JPG
View Quote
Those grips look great! I've tried to talk myself into boot grips for one of my j frames but I always go for service grips or panels. Boots are so much more comfortable.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:09:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Those grips look great! I've tried to talk myself into boot grips for one of my j frames but I always go for service grips or panels. Boots are so much more comfortable.
View Quote
They definitely are comfortable, just need to see how they are with recoil of 357. I'm hoping it shouldn't be too bad, cause I'd like to carry it loaded with 357 as opposed to +P
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:13:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Of the two Centerfire Systems 640-1's that I bought, which is where I think yours came from, one was bone dry and kinda dirty, and the other was in pretty good shape inside. It had some lube and not much dirt. I highly recommend a tear down and clean though.

Here is what my first looked like inside.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/johnrippert/640Inside_zps8rly2pko.jpg

I like to get three fingers on my J frame grips and a bit of width on the grips to spread the recoil, especially when firing +P or .357 Magnums. I picked up a set of older Sile combat grips and like them so much I now have them on both my 640-1's and my 36. I find them very easy to get my hand on when drawing compared to the stock grips and a Tyler T.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/johnrippert/640-1Pair_zpswelnevm5.jpg
View Quote
Those are beautiful grips, I can't like I've already looked for a set on eBay. Hopefully I can find some, cause those look gorgeous

I honestly don't know where mine came from, guy I got it from advised he ha dit going on 5 years so don't think it was from that batch from Centerfire. Which I knew about that deal when it was happening, hoping they get some more soon cause if they get from Keiligs that would be great. Which I could order directly from Keiligs, but not LEO though I do work with them (dispatcher). Though I have a friend who is LEO and has FFL, decisions decisions
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top