Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2017 3:41:41 AM EDT
I thought this would be interesting for the rest of you to know about. I am also interested to find out if any of you have had the same issue.

I have a 14" S&W 460 performance center with a crooked barrel. What I mean is that the barrel is cocked to the right in the frame.

I originally had a scope mounted on the integral weaver rail and noticed no issues other than difficulties dealing with a short eye relief.

Not long ago I bought a Wiegand "wieg-a-tinny" scope base and had it modified to fit the gun (unmodified it won't clear the integral rail). Once I had everything set up I found it impossible to zero my scope for windage. It was initially shooting 27 moa to the right! I lapped my rings and rechecked and remounted everything and the problem improved by only 3 moa.

I then decided to check things out with a set of scope levels and my scope was all level and mounted straight when checked with the gun mounted sideways in a vise. Then for the heck of it I decided to check the gun to see if it was level end-to-end. I discovered at that point that with the gun mounted right side up in the vise and the frame leveled that the barrel pointed upward (to the right side of the gun) very noticeably.

So go figure I have a bad gun. I got a shipping label from S&W today and sent it in with a note describing these issues.

The way I see it either the back of the barrel shroud isn't square, the front of the frame isn't square or the threads in the frame aren't square.

Has anyone else had this issue with their extended barrel 460?
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:27:20 AM EDT
[#1]
WOW! Those pictures tell the whole story....
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:54:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah man... gotta post pics of something like that brother. When I had a severely canted AR 14.7" (Premium CHF) barrel from PSA... Their rep told me to go pound sand in not so many words... Until I posted the pics here. 15 minutes later and 4-5 other members posts and that thread got locked down, disappeared, and PSA's operations manager was calling my cell number and gave me an RMA# to my email address he had on file. Smith will take care of you!
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:15:55 PM EDT
[#3]

The first level on the frame as clamped and leveled in the vise

The second level on the muzzle break brake . Before anyone says anything I swapped levels end for end and even stuck the levels on the barrel and the barrel shroud and the second level is off the entire length.

If I level the barrel in the vise then the frame is off by the amount seen in the second picture.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:28:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I think this is the very rare case where your muzzle is actually broken.

ETA:  My grammar is as bad as the OP's.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:59:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think this is the very rare case where you muzzle is actually broken.
View Quote
lol I hope you are joking
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 1:12:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Backbencher,

Not sure what point you are trying to make here. Maybe you can elaborate.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 1:42:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:  The second level on the muzzle break.
View Quote
I hope the brakes on your car are not broken as well, otherwise you will break shortly after you try to brake.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 2:47:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I hope the brakes on your car are not broken as well, otherwise you will break shortly after you try to brake.
View Quote
I get your point now. Apparently homonyms still kick my ass. Like how I used to confuse the spelling of angel and angle or sign and sing.

In any case, I still haven't gotten any productive feed back on the topic at hand.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 10:03:03 AM EDT
[#9]
No worries - on gun boards, broken muzzles are an epidemic.

Any word back from S&W?  If I'd spent that kind of money I'd be ticked too.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 10:26:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I get your point now. Apparently homonyms still kick my ass. Like how I used to confuse the spelling of angel and angle or sign and sing.

In any case, I still haven't gotten any productive feed back on the topic at hand.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've sent it in to Smith you said. Not much else to do until you get it back and see what they say. I'm sure it will be fixed especially if you sent a descriptive note and pics of the problem. 27MOA is miserable... Let their Smiths do their job for now...
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:09:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I really was curious to see if anyone else had ever had a similar problem. The gun however, is so uncommon that it seems as if no one has. I'll post what I find out from S&W.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:16:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I really was curious to see if anyone else had ever had a similar problem. The gun however, is so uncommon that it seems as if no one has. I'll post what I find out from S&W.
View Quote
I have the 8" version with no issues. That doesn't help you at all, but you're not the only one here with a 460

Now, if I could find a lever gun in 460...
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 5:45:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the first model performance shop XVR with the ten inch barrel. I have had no issues with mine.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 6:57:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've shot a fine example of one... Worst fu(king recoil I've ever experienced but that didn't stop me from shooting it again with even faster Hornady's loaded ammo. It was bought by my closest college buddie's dad; who got it in anticipation for a family trip to Denali. I think it was a 10" barreled version. Very cool revolver. I see at the very minimum a new barrel in your future from Smith along with maybe a frame face lift that is milled flat. Or better yet, a complete new piece!
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 7:23:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I had the 8" and liked it but needed to sell it to buy this one. Wife and kids mean I'm no longer a member of the $1000 gun a month club anymore.

In any case this 14" is ridiculously accurate. Its the only handgun I have ever shot that will have bullet holes all nearly touching at 50y. That is off a bipod of course.

Its also the only handgun I have ever been able to hit a 20" gong (much less anything else) repeatedly at 450y. With my other wheel guns the best I can do is on a 2/3 ipsc steel plate with 6 out of 6 regularly at 50y, 3 out of 6 regularly at 100y and maybe 1 out of 12 at 200y. All of this is mainly done with my m29-3 with target grips and my cimmaron Custer cavalry 7.5" SAA in 45 colt. Those two guns fit me the best with the M29 having the better grip and the SAA with the finer sights.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:44:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I had the 8" and liked it but needed to sell it to buy this one. Wife and kids mean I'm no longer a member of the $1000 gun a month club anymore.

In any case this 14" is ridiculously accurate. Its the only handgun I have ever shot that will have bullet holes all nearly touching at 50y. That is off a bipod of course.

Its also the only handgun I have ever been able to hit a 20" gong (much less anything else) repeatedly at 450y. With my other wheel guns the best I can do is on a 2/3 ipsc steel plate with 6 out of 6 regularly at 50y, 3 out of 6 regularly at 100y and maybe 1 out of 12 at 200y. All of this is mainly done with my m29-3 with target grips and my cimmaron Custer cavalry 7.5" SAA in 45 colt. Those two guns fit me the best with the M29 having the better grip and the SAA with the finer sights.
View Quote
I've never tried at paper more than 200 yards, and with a solid rest at that range, I can keep 5 rounds on an 8" target.   With that said, I took a deer at nearly 200 last fall and it simply flopped over. I love this caliber, and I love that it can shoot 3 others for practice shooting. Or loading .45 acp to show a buddy how it works and loading him 45 acp with a .460 as a surprise last shot!!!
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 3:30:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Are there .410" shotshells you can squeeze into the .460" chamber?  Do 2.5" shells fit?
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:10:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Are there .410" shotshells you can squeeze into the .460" chamber?  Do 2.5" shells fit?
View Quote
The cylinder is just shy of 2.5" so they wouldn't fit. Idk if they make shorter shells than that or not... Never heard of anyone trying.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 12:30:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Don't have any .410" shells, so I can't measure them, but in every other gauge the length measurement is of the chamber, not of the length of the shell.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 4:32:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Did you get your 460 back yet OP?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:01:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I got my 460 back about two weeks ago.

They replaced the barrel, barrel nut, compensator and jam nut, cylinder and crane.

Apparently it failed their test fire twice and was spitting lead badly according to the notest they included.

I called S&W and they didn't have any other notes on it.

When I got it unboxed and put it in the vise again  to check it with the levels it was a lot closer to straight than before and I can actually zero it now.

Also S&W didn't charge me for anything to include the shipping both ways from Alaska. I will say I'm very happy with the experience.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 9:41:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I got my 460 back about two weeks ago.

They replaced the barrel, barrel nut, compensator and jam nut, cylinder and crane.

Apparently it failed their test fire twice and was spitting lead badly according to the notest they included.

I called S&W and they didn't have any other notes on it.

When I got it unboxed and put it in the vise again  to check it with the levels it was a lot closer to straight than before and I can actually zero it now.

Also S&W didn't charge me for anything to include the shipping both ways from Alaska. I will say I'm very happy with the experience.
View Quote
I didn't expect any less, and the timeframe wasn't terrible from when you sent it to return.

Shoot it and let us know how they did!
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:13:34 AM EDT
[#23]
I shot it when I got it back and it does zero now. The problem is still there but its minimal at 4 moa right shift. I will need to do chronographing again to develop new dope charts for the scope (yeah I just said that, with a hand gun that can be shot out to 500y or more there is a need for these) because the gun seems to shoot higher at 300y than it did before when zeroed at 100y. For those who are curious I have one of the Nikon variable magnification scopes that has a BDC reticle.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:41:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The cylinder is just shy of 2.5" so they wouldn't fit. Idk if they make shorter shells than that or not... Never heard of anyone trying.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You could probably make some from 303 brass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top