Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2017 2:14:06 PM EDT
Is there anything I should be looking out for with a new production Model 629?  I keep looking at the 4 inch models online and might be buying one in the near future.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:13:37 AM EDT
[#1]
S&W just about sells itself, and the company backs their products. I've got the 629 with 6" barrel. Some folks don't like the stock grip, and order the grip made for the 500. Yeah they are different frames, but the grip fits. Still have the stock grip on mine, but do have a Pachmayr on order because I have one on another revolver and am trying to maintain a common "feel." Haven't had one issue with the dreaded trigger lock, but have promised myself one issue = removal. I kinda wish I'd have shopped for a model that has the quick-change (not pinned) front sight, but for the deal I got on price, I'll deal with the pin. I stay with factory loads (240 gr bullet @ 1200 fps, +/-) since most reviews I saw prior to buying caution to use the heavy stuff only in Rugers, etc. that are made to take the punishment. I have no need for that where I'm at.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:10:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I am looking at either a 3 inch or 4 inch 629.  I haven't heard any issues with the trigger lock other than on the light weight 329s.  Also have seen a few reports of canted barrels but not a lot.  Just wanted to get a general impression if the new production guns are good to go.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 1:02:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Generally speaking (but not always the case) they do not have the resale value of the older no-lock, firing pin on hammer guns.

I have a few S&W 44s:

Actually this pic does not include them all, but you get the point.

I shoot 44s a bunch, but am the exception to the rule. The very vast majority of Model 29/629 owners (especially short barreled ones) buy them, shoot them a couple of times, secretly realize that they don't like the recoil, so they stick them in the back o their safe/closet, and eventually sell them. Most of mine have been bought used, and they were all fine mechanically.

The punchline is that I would seek out a used M29/629 long before I would even consider a new one.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:33:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Been looking for a used one for a while now.  Most of the ones I have found people/shops want more than the retail price on a new one.  Holding out hope still to find a pre-lock gun, but reality is that I may have to settle for a new production gun.  Currently, I own a Redhawk with a 7.5 inch barrel and a Blackhawk with a 5.5 inch barrel.  They get shot regularly with 44 magnum and special reloads.  I just like the idea of a 3 or 4 inch Smith to add to the collection.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:00:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a 629 6" but what I really want is a 657. I just really the 41 mag and have a pristine model 58.  My first big bore was a S&W 29 blue 4" Really miss that gun
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:04:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I really wanted a Model 25. I looked for the better part of a year OP. After seeing them go upwards of $1600 the lowest I saw one in good shape went for about $1300. It was sold within an hour of going online. So I went back on GunBroker and ordered a Model 625... said if it sucked or anything was canted on it I'd refuse it and send it back. It was pristine and I've dry fired the shit out it using AZoom Snap caps. It's one of the best shooting pistols I've shot in a while. I wouldn't hesitate to FO on a Model 629. I wanted a 3" barrel 625 but I'm glad I went with a 4" barreled version for it's handling/balance and recoil reduction over the 3" version...
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:06:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Generally speaking (but not always the case) they do not have the resale value of the older no-lock, firing pin on hammer guns.

I have a few S&W 44s:

Actually this pic does not include them all, but you get the point.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/Handguns/028-4.jpg

I shoot 44s a bunch, but am the exception to the rule. The very vast majority of Model 29/629 owners (especially short barreled ones) buy them, shoot them a couple of times, secretly realize that they don't like the recoil, so they stick them in the back o their safe/closet, and eventually sell them. Most of mine have been bought used, and they were all fine mechanically.

The punchline is that I would seek out a used M29/629 long before I would even consider a new one.
View Quote
Damn Lost-River... very nicely done sir! I'm not a jealous person but I'm a little jealous of your collection!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top