Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/16/2017 8:25:31 AM EDT
As the title says: this is my new "N" frame (my first), revolver chambered in .45acp. I've always wanted a .45acp revolver because I've always heard the Model(s) 25 and 625 were such nice shooters. I'm heavily invested in .45acp and to some extent .45Super. I contacted Tim Sundles, the owner of Buffalo Bore in regards to his .45Super offerings. I simply asked, "Can this model 625 Smith handle a steady diet of his 255grain Hard Cast Outdoorsman .45Super load." Tim assured me that this model Smith can handle any .45acp, .45Auto-Rim, and all .45Super loads his company manufactures. And since I really wanted a dedicated .45Super for woods carry and to keep my 1911's in the original ACP chamberings; the 625 offers me the best of both worlds. A Range report should be up tomorrow as I intend to shoot 7-8 types/manufacturers of 200 to 230 grains of ACP ball and HP's; along with multiple full moon clips of BB's .45Super ammo. I never thought I would like full moon clips so much as I do. They are going to make reloading faster than I ever imagined a wheel-gun ever could be! The balance of the 4" full lugged barrel is noticeable and feels very natural to me. This is going to be my woods carry pistol for when we are at our family "Mountain Home" in Highlands NC. The Kayak fishing is hearty and the hiking is excellent. There have been a rash of recent dog attacks at our Osage Mountain retreat... Now for the pics, enjoy!

Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:34:41 PM EDT
[#1]
That is a great looking pistol!

Mine started out with a 5" full lug barrel that made it a bit muzzle heavy. I found a "Mountain Gun" style barrel and had that installed. It is a much better packing pistol now.....

Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:53:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a 625 5."   Then I got the 4" 625.  The 5" went out the door. You are right the 4" balances nicely/perfectly.  I bet you will enjoy that revolver more than you know now!
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:37:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is a great looking pistol!

Mine started out with a 5" full lug barrel that made it a bit muzzle heavy. I found a "Mountain Gun" style barrel and had that installed. It is a much better packing pistol now.....

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/mic214/Firearms/625%20b.jpg
View Quote
Oh that is a bad ass pistol you have there for sure; damned nice looking too! I like the look of a 3/4 lug barreled revolver the best of all. IDPA stopped letting the 5" version compete... due to guys kicking ass with them no doubt. Do you typically stay with standard .45acp and +P ammo or have you also tried or carried anything heavier/hotter such as .45Auto-Rim or .45Super??? Buffalo Bore's 45Super out of my old converted Springfield Loaded is a joy to shoot and is in fact the most accurate pistol round I've ever shot. If it shoots as easy and accurate out of this 625 then I'm prepping my Dillon press to emulate this load. Our property backs up to the Nantahala National Forest and we have a wild dog problem and hungry black bears have destroyed our gutters that run into the ground and away from the cabin; as shrews and moles make nest in them late fall and bears dig/bust them up. I feel the Super would be perfect should I ever have a problem...
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:39:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I had a 625 5."   Then I got the 4" 625.  The 5" went out the door. You are right the 4" balances nicely/perfectly.  I bet you will enjoy that revolver more than you know now!
View Quote
I'm like a giddy kid. I loaded up 20 or so moon clips after the work and gym today while waiting for the wife and kid to get home. I'll probably be that guy who is waiting at the door fogging it up tomorrow morning at my club/range to open...
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:47:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I stick with standard .45acp and +P ammo in mine. If I need anything hotter, I will pack my S&W 3" 629 in .44 magnum:

I do love the 625 for the moon clips for fast and easy reloads:

Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:53:32 PM EDT
[#6]
What holsters are you guys carrying the 25/625 in? I'm always a IWB holster guy with my Commander and CZ P-01 but that isn't going to work for this puppy! I'm thinking a Bianchi full leather OWB holster that rides a bit high on the waist at 4:00 would be the ticket. I bought a S&W model 36 back in January from a police officer that used to carry it as a BUG. It came with an outside waist band Bianchi; that I figured, what the hell, he's giving it to me! But to my surprise, I really like it as it's comfortable and very concealable while being rather easy to draw from. Thoughts? I really appreciate the insight and value of you fellow wheel gunners! Thanks in advance...
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:56:21 PM EDT
[#7]
So I guess the neat thing here is the .45ACP rounds still "head space" off the rim...since it looks like I can see one in the chambers? So it's just drop them in like a rimmed cartridge, moon clips NOT required?

I just don't "get it" for a woods gun though? The allure of a revolver to me in modern times is power... but .45ACP isn't that powerful of a handgun cartridge compared to normal revolver loads such as .45LC (hot not cowboy shit) .357Mag, .41mag, .44mag etc. All you're doing is reducing round count to 6 and changing the way the recoil feels since there's no reciprocating parts/mass? Don't get me wrong, I have wanted a model M1917 revolver, but not for carry...
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:58:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks to you OP, I am suddenly wanting a revolver again, and in .45 ACP because the fact it is .45 Super capable with no change at all is very good to hear.

In for the range report
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:00:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I stick with standard .45acp and +P ammo in mine. If I need anything hotter, I will pack my S&W 3" 629 in .44 magnum:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/mic214/Firearms/629b.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/mic214/Firearms/625-6.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/mic214/Firearms/Moons2.jpg
View Quote
Oh yes, not much can compete with a stout .44mag load. That is a great set-up with a beautiful 629. Talk about your classic "Combat Magnum!"

What brand/make holster is that with your pictured 625? I have a Belt-Man brand "BullHide" gun belt that would go really well with that holster. Thanks for sharing those pics too "Mic214!" Nice piece, belt, holster, and knife kit you have going there! I've been big on carrying a 5.5" fixed blade "Buck" in addition to my 1911 in the woods the last couple years.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:03:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So I guess the neat thing here is the .45ACP rounds still "head space" off the rim...since it looks like I can see one in the chambers? So it's just drop them in like a rimmed cartridge, moon clips NOT required?
View Quote
Mine can head-space off the case mouth but I would never run it that way. I will only run mine with moon clips, especially in the woods for protection!
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:09:24 PM EDT
[#11]
That holster is an old Bianchi "Cyclone" rig that can be carried strong side or cross draw. The knife is a Randall Model 5.

I also have a pancake style holster for my 625 that was made by Lobo gun leathers:

Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:09:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks to you OP, I am suddenly wanting a revolver again, and in .45 ACP because the fact it is .45 Super capable with no change at all is very good to hear.

In for the range report
View Quote
Hahah, that is great! Yes, it can run the 45Super all day says Tim Sundles... a 255 grain Hard Cast @ almost 1100fps that is. I got maybe a hair over that velocity in my converted 5" 1911. This load smacks Hard. And the 625 can run .45Auto-Rim as well, sans moon clips if you desire. But I'm diggin' the moon's for the easy extraction and fast reloads they are going to offer. I've been practicing with A-Zoom snap caps in prep for tomorrow's range trip!
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That holster is an old Bianchi "Cyclone" rig that can be carried strong side or cross draw. The knife is a Randall Model 5.

I also have a pancake style holster for my 625 that was made by Lobo gun leathers:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/mic214/Firearms/Lobo2.jpg
View Quote
Much appreciated Sir! That knife and sheath is something special for sure. I bet it keeps an edge and balances very well as it looks to be solidly made.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:29:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Mine can head-space off the case mouth but I would never run it that way. I will only run mine with moon clips, especially in the woods for protection!
View Quote
I'm sorry I misspoke I meant to say case mouth.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:57:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm sorry I misspoke I meant to say case mouth.
View Quote
I figured that is what you meant to say, no worries. As to your question about why a .45acp for a "Woods Carry Gun?" This is a versatile platform since it can handle the .45Super loads with zero modifications. You should check out the specs on a 255 grain "Keith" style hard cast from Buffalo Bore. I'm a fan of heavy for caliber loads with everything from .38Spec, 9mm, .45acp, and especially .45Super with a Hard Cast flat point bullet. They are devastating against pelt, skull, and other thick bones. We have a family mountain home in a 80+ Parcel gated community nestled between Mt. Osage and Scaley Mountain that backs up to the Nantahala National Forest near Highlands NC... carrying a long gun there would send 97% of the part time residents rifling for their I-phone's to call the police on us. So this revolver, with the option to run .45Super under a T-shirt, flannel, or jacket to deal with the recent dog attacks on residents walking their labs and pointers, along with the black bear nuisance, and 3 robberies in recent years makes for a rather nice option with the fast moon reloads. That, and the fact I was looking for a reason to get a big bore revolver has drawn me to this particular model revolver!
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:46:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Deja Vu ... this is my 629 Mountain Revolver.

OP, this is another Bianchi Cyclone holster, model 111. I have several of them for various frame sizes and barrel lengths. The cyclone can be worn both strongside and cross draw. The Bianchi 5BHL is another holster you might like, its strongside only.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:41:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

OP, this is another Bianchi Cyclone holster, model 111. I have several of them for various frame sizes and barrel lengths. The cyclone can be worn both strongside and cross draw. The Bianchi 5BHL is another holster you might like, its strongside only.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/33552/IMG-1129-232376.JPG
View Quote
Awesome set up!
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:46:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I have always thought the 625 was probably the most fun revolver I have owned.  Bought mine for USPSA competition.  It has since be replaced by a 627 for that roll but I still shoot the occasional club match with it and occasionally carry it as a woods/tractor gun.

My competition setup.  Blade-tech holster, North Mountain Moonclip holder, fiber optic front sight, California competition cylinder release and modified Hogue round butt grip.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 11:21:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I figured that is what you meant to say, no worries. As to your question about why a .45acp for a "Woods Carry Gun?" This is a versatile platform since it can handle the .45Super loads with zero modifications. You should check out the specs on a 255 grain "Keith" style hard cast from Buffalo Bore. I'm a fan of heavy for caliber loads with everything from .38Spec, 9mm, .45acp, and especially .45Super with a Hard Cast flat point bullet. They are devastating against pelt, skull, and other thick bones. We have a family mountain home in a 80+ Parcel gated community nestled between Mt. Osage and Scaley Mountain that backs up to the Nantahala National Forest near Highlands NC... carrying a long gun there would send 97% of the part time residents rifling for their I-phone's to call the police on us. So this revolver, with the option to run .45Super under a T-shirt, flannel, or jacket to deal with the recent dog attacks on residents walking their labs and pointers, along with the black bear nuisance, and 3 robberies in recent years makes for a rather nice option with the fast moon reloads. That, and the fact I was looking for a reason to get a big bore revolver has drawn me to this particular model revolver!
View Quote
You mentioned "under a t-shirt", I have a 4" N Frame on me or really close by around the clock. And the highest riding holster I've found is the Galco Combat Master. It's also pretty snug to the torso, that's good with the big stocks on an N frame gun.
That one I can cover with my standard Carhartt t-shirts.

It puts the bottom of the cylinder just below the top of the belt, not to hijack here but any better/higher holster anyone has..... I'd like to hear about it.

Nice gun by the way.
There are a lot of small makers who build holsters I really like, but all I've seen ride lower on the belt, but I'm constantly looking.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:38:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice set-up! That is virtually identical to Mic214's rig. I'm all but set on the Bianchi Cyclone 111 as I have it saved in "my cart" on Amazon awaiting a go. I need to check out the 5BHL before I decide though.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:41:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have always thought the 625 was probably the most fun revolver I have owned.  Bought mine for USPSA competition.  It has since be replaced by a 627 for that roll but I still shoot the occasional club match with it and occasionally carry it as a woods/tractor gun.

http://i.imgur.com/qnmfgAWl.jpg

My competition setup.  Blade-tech holster, North Mountain Moonclip holder, fiber optic front sight, California competition cylinder release and modified Hogue round butt grip.
View Quote
I'm digging that slide release!
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:52:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You mentioned "under a t-shirt", I have a 4" N Frame on me or really close by around the clock. And the highest riding holster I've found is the Galco Combat Master. It's also pretty snug to the torso, that's good with the big stocks on an N frame gun.
That one I can cover with my standard Carhartt t-shirts.

It puts the bottom of the cylinder just below the top of the belt, not to hijack here but any better/higher holster anyone has..... I'd like to hear about it.

Nice gun by the way.
There are a lot of small makers who build holsters I really like, but all I've seen ride lower on the belt, but I'm constantly looking.
View Quote
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm going to continue to look at the holsters Mic214, Warhawk, and you recommend before making a decision. I need the highest riding, most snug option, with a thumb break snap to keep it secured. I have a long trunk so my T-shirts, Polo's, button-ups, etc I buy long so it being exposed for a few moments carrying/transitioning a kayak from my shoulder to the water shouldn't be a problem around the "sheeple!"
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:55:05 AM EDT
[#23]
I just ordered the Bianchi 5BHL holster based on your recommendation WarHawk. Thanks to you and others for the holster help. The 5BHL looks like it will ride high and tight on my waist belt-line which is exactly what I'm looking for around the 4:00 position. Off to the range now to see how these Buffalo Bore Supers perform and group along with my favorite 230 grain ball and HP+P loadings as well. Range report with pics up next! Thanks again for all the help brothers!
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 12:20:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 1:06:44 PM EDT
[#25]
You now own the perfect handgun (IMHO).  They are shooters for sure!  And, moon clips! Even better!
the 625/25 is not as picky about moon clip thickness and brands of brass like their smaller brethren can be.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 2:05:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Just keep in mind that with a big cylinder on a N frame (or even a L frame), any field type holster will ride farther away from the body (and flop just a bit more fore and aft) than a pancake style. That makes quite a bit of difference for me when just covering the gun with a t-shirt/untucked button up shirt.

I have an old Bianchi thumb break for 5" 1911's that served me well for many, many years, I bought it in 1980 I think and it's still solid.

But revolvers I need quite a bit higher on the belt.

Warbird, Simply Rugged, Mernickle, Milt Sparks, Davis Leather Co and a whole bunch of others make some really nice revolver holsters.
I just wish they would make them ride higher.

Those 45 Super numbers are pretty nice. Big XTP's in full moons would work well for me, but I like the carbine compatability I have in .44 mag.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 3:42:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, my range trip got called off after loading up and started to head that way. The wife wanted to surprise me with an early fathers day brunch while we had the option to use a baby sitter. Tomorrow though, I'll make good on my intentions and promise. Good thing is I found another 50 rounds of Buffalo Bore 45Supers and some Federal HST 230 grains that will make for a more thorough trip. Also, Amazon has promised same day delivery today for the Bianchi 5BHL holster I ordered this morning. So I'll be able to report on the concealment, comfort, and presentation/draw and fire position stance. I think this worked out for the better. Thanks again for all the recommendations fellas. I love this community!
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 4:01:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Just keep in mind that with a big cylinder on a N frame (or even a L frame), any field type holster will ride farther away from the body (and flop just a bit more fore and aft) than a pancake style. That makes quite a bit of difference for me when just covering the gun with a t-shirt/untucked button up shirt.

I have an old Bianchi thumb break for 5" 1911's that served me well for many, many years, I bought it in 1980 I think and it's still solid.

But revolvers I need quite a bit higher on the belt.

Warbird, Simply Rugged, Mernickle, Milt Sparks, Davis Leather Co and a whole bunch of others make some really nice revolver holsters.
I just wish they would make them ride higher.

Those 45 Super numbers are pretty nice. Big XTP's in full moons would work well for me, but I like the carbine compatability I have in .44 mag.
View Quote
I'm a big guy with a trim waist thankfully. I've gotten away with not printing much if at all because of that thankfully as long as I use a good belt and a decent holster. But I do appreciate the heads up for sure! The BullHide belt I've used for years from The Beltman has an internal stiffener that should allow me to cinch the carry rig close, ride high enough as I agree it's important for carrying something like a "N" frame with the OWB configuration. The holster will be here by 9pm so I'm looking forward to playing/adjusting with the set-up.

I have a healthy stock of Hornady 200grain +P XTP's. For woods duty they penetrate deep and expand to about 60 caliber from my experience; definitely a top (5) favorite load in this caliber for sure. And yes, the .44 mag is a great cartridge even from a 2.5" barreled model 29/629... and even better from a carbine as you mention. Not much else competes with that for shoot-ability/versatility in my opinion.

I really think this 625 is going to be my favorite handgun though. We shall see tomorrow!
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 5:14:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Nice set-up! That is virtually identical to Mic214's rig. I'm all but set on the Bianchi Cyclone 111 as I have it saved in "my cart" on Amazon awaiting a go. I need to check out the 5BHL before I decide though.
View Quote
Be aware that the new Bianchi (now owned by Safariland) stuff is made in Mexico. All of mine are older, made in USA. Still lots of the older stuff around, ebay etc.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 10:32:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Mine's a little different flavor.

I had a 625 Classic for years but found it to be just a little too big and heavy for my tastes.

The Model 22 is perfect.
20140914_094019 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
20140921_222918 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 12:53:30 AM EDT
[#31]
The 625 is a great revolver!  Super fun and accurate. Congrats!

I have a 5" 625-8 Performance Center, and I also have this 25-2 cut down to 4" , hammer bobbed and slicked up for IDPA.  Super fun!

Link Posted: 6/18/2017 5:48:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Thanks for starting this thread OP. Every once in a while I toy with the idea of getting a .45acp revolver, but, not only do I not have the budget for one, I can't add another caliber to stock either. I've never really been a fan of .45acp (I like the faster stuff) but this is the first I've really read about .45super, and I'm liking the idea.

I have a coworker that's really into 1911's and always talks up 45acp. He scratched his head when I told him the only 45 handgun I want is a revolver. Now I really want one though after seeing this thread.

Looking forward to your review.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 8:41:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Mine's a little different flavor.

I had a 625 Classic for years but found it to be just a little too big and heavy for my tastes.

The Model 22 is perfect.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3903/15238744811_d41d1fd7a1_b.jpg20140914_094019 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5570/15129895028_c887c33ce9_b.jpg20140921_222918 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
View Quote
What a beautiful M22 you have there. I love that Model 22! I bet that balances perfectly in your mitts! At first when I got the 625 home I thought it was a little big. But after playing with it (loaded with CNC snap caps of course) and now with the BH5L holster... if feels to be about the perfect man's revolver for me. My handle on other forums is HamHands so a full sized pistol is just the ticket for me. I think S&W hit a home run with nearly everything about it; the 4" full lugged barrel, the grips, durable finish, moon clip ready, the sights, and most importantly the balance to weight and feel. Lastly the ability to shoot standards .45acp to the amp'd up Super is what sold the idea to me. Animals I'm encountering have much thicker skin than humans, and a heavy, flat nosed hard cast at .45 Super velocity was just the golden ticket for me!
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 8:43:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The 625 is a great revolver!  Super fun and accurate. Congrats!

I have a 5" 625-8 Performance Center, and I also have this 25-2 cut down to 4" , hammer bobbed and slicked up for IDPA.  Super fun!

http://webpages.charter.net/deut30and11/Guns/25-2_1.jpg
View Quote
Great IDPA set-up!
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 8:51:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Thanks for starting this thread OP. Every once in a while I toy with the idea of getting a .45acp revolver, but, not only do I not have the budget for one, I can't add another caliber to stock either. I've never really been a fan of .45acp (I like the faster stuff) but this is the first I've really read about .45super, and I'm liking the idea.

I have a coworker that's really into 1911's and always talks up 45acp. He scratched his head when I told him the only 45 handgun I want is a revolver. Now I really want one though after seeing this thread.

Looking forward to your review.
View Quote
You'll be surprised how fast the fat old venerable .45acp will grow on you! IMO, it's the perfect handgun caliber for 2 legged threats. Even ball ammo will work well in a pinch. And you will find that .45Super has enough "ass" behind it so to speak for any 4 legged in my neck of the woods. I think I may have stumbled onto the perfect revolver. Now to squeeze in 2 hours today to go and shoot it!
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:07:24 AM EDT
[#36]
I have a 5" 625 Classic of 1988 that has the smoothest double action trigger of any revolver I own (and there are more than a few).  It would be my woods gun if I didn't also have a 5" 629.  For holsters I am partial to the Galco Phoenix and/or Desantis Dual Angle Hunter because the can be worn strong side or cross draw.  The N frame Smiths (before the stupid lock) are my absolute favorite revolvers.  Beware though, they tend to attract other must have revolvers in your safe for some strange reason.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:42:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have a 5" 625 Classic of 1988 that has the smoothest double action trigger of any revolver I own (and there are more than a few).  It would be my woods gun if I didn't also have a 5" 629.  For holsters I am partial to the Galco Phoenix and/or Desantis Dual Angle Hunter because the can be worn strong side or cross draw.  The N frame Smiths (before the stupid lock) are my absolute favorite revolvers.  [color=#0000ff]Beware though, they tend to attract other must have revolvers in your safe for some strange reason.
View Quote
[/color]

I see some of the guys here have filled their Hillary Hole's with a plug. Something I will be doing on the short list. I'll be replacing the 625's hammer with a Non-MIM milled and heat treated one as well.

As to must have revolvers... I know what you are saying. My last four purchases have been revolvers; (1) Colt and (3) Smith's. I had to have 2 mint and vintage Model 36's... pinned barrels, glass break triggers, with lock work tighter than a Swiss timepiece! One is from 77' (year I was born) and one from 78'. Then my wife wanted a Colt "D" frame snub for carry. The only revolver that is last to pic up is a Model 29 with a 2.5 to 3 inch barrel, and preferably recessed cylinder holes. Revolvers, especially of the vintage flavor are more addictive than an AR-15 to me!
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 11:27:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Why replace the MIM hammer?  It is probably better than any milled or forged hammer you can get; certainly more dimensionally consistent.  Remember S&W is making Bodyguard 380 barrel's with the MIM process.  I think they got MIM figured out.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 12:57:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Since you mentioned a 3 inch 44 Mag, I thought I'd add a couple of pics of one of mine. It's an Astra Terminator, a Spanish copy of the model 29 with a few differences. Hollywood loved these things, Clooney used one in "Dusk till Dawn".

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 12:58:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Why replace the MIM hammer?  It is probably better than any milled or forged hammer you can get; certainly more dimensionally consistent.  Remember S&W is making Bodyguard 380 barrel's with the MIM process.  I think they got MIM figured out.
View Quote
Well, I'll run it hard as is then. But that S&W 500mag that I saw with the hammer in (3) pieces from dry firing, (I believe it was here), got me to thinking about it. I'll leave the stock one in being as you are probably right. I've never had an MIM part break on my Springer 1911 that I converted to .45Super. And I've ran the piss out of that pistol before I converted it. It was that conversion that got me hooked on the Super to begin with!
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 1:11:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Since you mentioned a 3 inch 44 Mag, I thought I'd add a couple of pics of one of mine. It's an Astra Terminator, a Spanish copy of the model 29 with a few differences. Hollywood loved these things, Clooney used one in "Dusk till Dawn".

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/33552/IMG-1379-233507.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/33552/IMG-1378-233506.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/33552/IMG-1382-233510.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/33552/IMG-1381-233509.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/33552/IMG-1380-233508.JPG
View Quote
Nice set-up Warhawk! Pretty much the quintessential "Combat Mini-Magnum!" What model is that? I bet that balances and shoots as smooth as butta! My wife is going to put me in the spare bedroom if I bring home anymore pistols in 17'...
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 2:11:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Nice set-up Warhawk! Pretty much the quintessential "Combat Mini-Magnum!" What model is that? I bet that balances and shoots as smooth as butta! My wife is going to put me in the spare bedroom if I bring home anymore pistols in 17'...
View Quote
Astra Terminator.  It's the only one I've ever seen, and I've been buying guns for about 40 years now.  Found it in a small town Arkansas pawn shop.

John Jovino in NYC had a hand in these, at least the early guns.  They were imported with longer barrels, then cut down as a "snub nose" was illegal to Import. I am pretty sure mine is one of the cut down guns, see pic. The later models also had a different frame profile, didn't look as much like a Smith.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:24:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Astra Terminator.  It's the only one I've ever seen, and I've been buying guns for about 40 years now.  Found it in a small town Arkansas pawn shop.

John Jovino in NYC had a hand in these, at least the early guns.  They were imported with longer barrels, then cut down as a "snub nose" was illegal to Import. I am pretty sure mine is one of the cut down guns, see pic. The later models also had a different frame profile, didn't look as much like a Smith.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/33552/IMG-1383-233549.JPG
View Quote
Very cool snub! I've never seen one. Looks to be built well for sure. I kept looking at it thinking it was a Smith but couldn't really make out the roll mark/stamp on its right side. If it's a cut down they did a nice job of it. Thanks for sharing the pics!
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:34:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
[/color]

I see some of the guys here have filled their Hillary Hole's with a plug. Something I will be doing on the short list. I'll be replacing the 625's hammer with a Non-MIM milled and heat treated one as well.

As to must have revolvers... I know what you are saying. My last four purchases have been revolvers; (1) Colt and (3) Smith's. I had to have 2 mint and vintage Model 36's... pinned barrels, glass break triggers, with lock work tighter than a Swiss timepiece! One is from 77' (year I was born) and one from 78'. Then my wife wanted a Colt "D" frame snub for carry. The only revolver that is last to pic up is a Model 29 with a 2.5 to 3 inch barrel, and preferably recessed cylinder holes. Revolvers, especially of the vintage flavor are more addictive than an AR-15 to me!
View Quote
You can disable the lock without putting a plug in, it takes about 15 minutes, and looks the same externally as you only remove the one internal part.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:49:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Ive hunted and killed a bunch of deer with a 5"

Used 45SUPER handloads and winchester ranger 230gr +p

Both worked well

Easy to quietly load and unload 6

Like a dumbass, I sold it..... and then they stopped making 5"
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:01:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You can disable the lock without putting a plug in, it takes about 15 minutes, and looks the same externally as you only remove the one internal part.
View Quote
That is good to hear. I've built many an AR-15 and have worked on countless semi-auto's for myself and friends but I've never opened up a revolver. This one is my fourth so I find it's time to get comfortable with them. I'm assuming there are YouTube videos showing how to disable the lock. I do plan on putting lots of Super's thru this and would feel better about having the lock totally disabled as I've read the concerns/worries about locks activating themselves under heavy/heavier recoil; though I have no first hand personal account of this ever happening.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:12:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Ive hunted and killed a bunch of deer with a 5"

Used 45SUPER handloads and winchester ranger 230gr +p

Both worked well

Easy to quietly load and unload 6

Like a dumbass, I sold it..... and then they stopped making 5"
View Quote
Could you share your favorite .45Super load detail specs with me please? I'm piecing together a Dillon right now. I love Buffalo Bore's 255grain Hard Cast Outdoorsman's loads but at $1.25 a pill delivered... they get quite pricey. Love that you hunt/hunted dear with the 5" version of this pistol! I bought this pistol from Gun Broker, (my first ever transaction with them.) I can almost swear GB had new in box 5" versions for sale/up for bid. I really wanted the 3" version for woods carry/hiking/kayaking but people were wanting $1200-$1400 for used ones. I got this one for $759 NIB from Osage County Guns (before their $35 shipping fee, $12 shipping insurance, and the $25 FFL transfer of course.) I want to say that they had a 5" version for sale too if you are still Jones-ing for your old deer-slayer!
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Hummmm.....reminds me of these two used revolvers that I bought way back when. Jeez, I've never even gotten around to shooting them.  Oh well, maybe someday.

Mod 625 .45 ACP

Mod 25-9 .45 LC

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

What a beautiful M22 you have there. I love that Model 22! I bet that balances perfectly in your mitts! At first when I got the 625 home I thought it was a little big. But after playing with it (loaded with CNC snap caps of course) and now with the BH5L holster... if feels to be about the perfect man's revolver for me. My handle on other forums is HamHands so a full sized pistol is just the ticket for me. I think S&W hit a home run with nearly everything about it; the 4" full lugged barrel, the grips, durable finish, moon clip ready, the sights, and most importantly the balance to weight and feel. Lastly the ability to shoot standards .45acp to the amp'd up Super is what sold the idea to me. Animals I'm encountering have much thicker skin than humans, and a heavy, flat nosed hard cast at .45 Super velocity was just the golden ticket for me!
View Quote
Thank you.

Mine was a 5," which was just a little much.

But, yeah, the guns are extremely versatile and a joy to shoot.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:18:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

That is good to hear. I've built many an AR-15 and have worked on countless semi-auto's for myself and friends but I've never opened up a revolver. This one is my fourth so I find it's time to get comfortable with them. I'm assuming there are YouTube videos showing how to disable the lock. I do plan on putting lots of Super's thru this and would feel better about having the lock totally disabled as I've read the concerns/worries about locks activating themselves under heavy/heavier recoil; though I have no first hand personal account of this ever happening.
View Quote
You may already know some or all of this, but before you remove a revolver sideplate make sure you have good, proper fitting screwdrivers.

Midway/Brownells have basic N-frame disassembly videos, watching those will be a big help to a first timer.

I think the youtube videos on removing the lock are most if not all J-frames, you'll want to know how to break down the N-frame, even tho the flag removal is the same in both, getting to it is a bit different.

Then, just pull out the flag (the part that actually locks the hammer) and re assemble. You can clean out any gunk while you're in there and lube.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top