Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2017 1:14:29 PM EDT
I can buy a like new Colt Diamondback in .38 special for $1200.  That's several hundred lower than I've usually seen for one in this condition.  I was actually in the market for a K frame .38 for my wife with her small hands and can get a nice Model 15 for half that.  I'm OK with limited +P use.  Thing is, seems it just keeps getting harder to find nice revolvers and the fit and finish on this one really are awfully good.  Not too worried about aftermarket holsters and such.  Not too worried about it being too nice to carry.  Mostly would like something my wife will practice with and fits her small hands well.  That and I come down on the side of the argument that says there are several great .38 spc SD rounds available.  Of course all this assumes my wife ends up with it..  

So what do y'all think of a .38 Diamondback?
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:21:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Diamondbacks are nice and much more collectible. I paid $700 for one in 1999 so $1200 is a good price. Model 15's are nice too but I'd buy the Colt.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:24:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you looked on GB for some of the used foreign police issued model 10s?    I have one from the Malaysian popo that looks and feels worn the funk out, but shoots GREAT.... the grips are worn down and rounded from years of use, and the action is broken in well...  i think i gave 200 bucks for it 2 years ago....   it is my favorite shooter at the moment.....  

The colt would be cool, but more as a collectible.....  M15s are sweet too, but they are too high for my tastes anymore....
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 2:46:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Excellent price on what is becoming a collector's item.  If you're just looking for a shooter there are certainly cheaper and probably more practical alternatives.  But if I ran across a nice D'back at that price I would do damage to my credit card.

Colt's are fine with plus p ammo.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:46:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Let me be the naysayer.  NO!  Colt Diamond Backs and their parts will soon be going the way of Pythons and their parts.  There are few gunsmiths who are competent to work on Colt revolvers and you will wind up having to work on it someday.  Sooner rather than later with Pythons.  I don't know if DB's are as bad as Pythons.  Buy a nice Smith and put the rest of the money on ammo to shoot or even another Smith.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:06:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I would buy it in a heartbeat. It or a Python.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:10:37 PM EDT
[#6]
For $1,200 I would buy a Dan Wesson pistol pac in 357 and shoot .38 through it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:35:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Diamondback as a investment, yes. Diamondback as a shooter, not so much. If you want a shooter get a S&W.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top