Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2017 5:11:38 PM EDT
Have been looking for a 4" 629 for a while, hours of gunbroker searching.

Got bored of that and decided to check out the 6" for fun.

Found a used one with hammer mounted firing pin,old school wood grips with medallion and comes with a bianchi holster.

Doesn't have a pinned barrel and it doesn't look to have recessed cylinder chambers.

Doesn't have the disgusting Hillary hole.

Gunbroker link

How'd I do?

Was looking at the 4" for North West hiking later this fall and winter but I don't think the 6 will be too bad, I carry a 6" 686+ here in the Florida woods.

Will post updated pics when it gets here.

Link Posted: 6/4/2017 7:53:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Kooks good from here...

what did it run you?$$$ what series is it? I know there was an issue with the grade stainless used in some 1980's series that required re-proofing(you will see some V shaped proof marks if that is the case)
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:33:22 PM EDT
[#2]
OOOOhhhh, it's SOOOOO gorgeous!!!!!!  

There's something just so aesthetically right and pleasing to the eye about the proportions of a S&W 29, isn't there?
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Updated op so the gb link actually goes to the listing lol.

No idea what series date or dash it is.

Was $815 which didn't seem too bad for a no key 629 imo. Also a free holster that's usually $50 to $60.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 12:10:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks great and was a fair price considering the holster. You'll have to update us to the dash number, hopefully a -4 or -3 as they had the endurance package but the earlier ones were great too. You'll love it! 6" isn't too bad to pack, and velocity out of a 6" is nice.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 7:47:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I think you did good.  I sold a like-new M629-1 6" on GB for a bit more than that a year or so ago.  Mine did have the original box, tools and papers and was pretty minty so you got pretty fair deal on this one since you got it for around 100 bucks less.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:05:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Congrats! Beautiful gun. I have been wanting one for a long time.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 4:19:47 PM EDT
[#7]
its a 629-1

anyone good with S&W serial numbers?
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 10:50:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
its a 629-1

anyone good with S&W serial numbers?
View Quote
I have the Standard Catalog Of Smith & Wesson Pistols, wherein is inscribed the ancient wisdom of the elders! And there's websites you can get a general idea from with a Google search. The Smith & Wesson Forum (highly recomended) is a veritable font of information. There are guys there that belong to the S&W Collectors Ass'n that can tell you more than you ever wanted to know about virtually every S&W pistol ever produced.

If you want it quick, post all but the last two or three digits here and I'll get my book out.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 11:04:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have the Standard Catalog Of Smith & Wesson Pistols, wherein is inscribed the ancient wisdom of the elders! And there's websites you can get a general idea from with a Google search. The Smith & Wesson Forum (highly recomended) is a veritable font of information. There are guys there that belong to the S&W Collectors Ass'n that can tell you more than you ever wanted to know about virtually every S&W pistol ever produced.

If you want it quick, post all but the last two or three digits here and I'll get my book out.
View Quote
AFP0830

what does your magical book of wonders tell you about it?

Link Posted: 6/8/2017 10:27:07 PM EDT
[#10]
it arrived today

next to my favorite 357

Link Posted: 6/8/2017 10:36:53 PM EDT
[#11]
6" guns are underrated.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 7:02:53 AM EDT
[#12]
They made the 629-1 up until 1988.
The cylinders should be .432"
The issues with the 629-1 ss was that the crane and internals were soft. Starting with the 29-4 & 629-2 they both had the upgraded internals and the 629-2 had the 629-2e stamping on the crane (1989/transition year).

They did away with pinned bbl and recessed cylinders starting with the 629-1. Wish they would of kept the pinned bbl's. The recessed cylinders is nothing more than a throwback for a time when the balloon heads cases (they stopped using them in the 1950's) needed the extra support of the high pressure calibers like the 357/44mag. The recess cylinder supported the balloon headed cases where they typically blew out/failed. Where the base of the case meets the sidewalls of the case. A picture of a modern case (left) next to a balloon headed case (right).

Nice revolver, it will provide you with decades of quality range time if you don't horse it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 8:39:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Very nice gun (similar to mine) .

I always liked the look of the medallion grips but with my average sized hands they never worked well for me.
I usually shoot with the ugly Houge finger bump grips.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 2:37:45 PM EDT
[#14]
That is a good second choice. Should of got one of these as you can change the barrel to the desired length 3/4/6/8/10, it is more durable, more accurate and can handle 310/320 grain bullets:

Link Posted: 6/10/2017 4:40:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
6" guns are underrated.
View Quote
To me that balance a bit funny, but the upside is a crisper front sight for my aging eyes.  LOL.  

Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:00:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a ported 6" 629, great shooter especially with the pachmayr grips. Also have a 629 snubby, it kicks like a mule.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top