Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2017 6:03:56 PM EDT
I decided to try Altamont's Super Rosewood grips to alloy shooting my wifes EDC much more comfortable. Since she carries in a purse and not on her person the little bit extra added length of grip is more than worth it and mitigates recoil so much more than the standard stocks. In fact, accuracy went up because she can get a full grip on the pistol... Duh... And the grips went on easy enough but with a nice and tight fit. The fit is nice and snug and they feel so well in the hand they have easily made the pistol twice as nice to shoot. Now it's an absolute joy for the wife to use for range day. I give Altamont a big hats off for making this tried and true revolver like a whole new pistol. It will make her twice as likely to train with and that's always a good thing. Now for the pics:
Before:

After:

It makes the "D" frame Colt more attractive as well which is never a negative. I wish I would have known about Altamont years ago. I switched out my old "J" frame stocks for Altamont's several months back and it made shooting them so much more enjoyable without sacrificing too much in the concealability department. With the combat stocks... front pocket carry is 90% as easy as with the stock "Magna's" the "J" frames came with.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 11:36:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Lookin good.  A hand filling grip always makes a revolver more shooter friendly.  I just had a range session where I tried 2 different boot grips and 2 different bigger grips.  On a 442.  I had hogue tamer grips on it but wanted to try smaller grips, just to see.  I actually have to wrap rubber bands around the boot grips to allow enough room for my right thumb to be out of the way of my trigger finger.  

But all said and done, I like the Hogue Tamers the best.  I tried factory laminated wood boot grips, the rubber factory boot grips, and a pachmyr compac.  All of them worked, but the wood boot grips were my least favorite.  Too slippery.  They don't have any checkering.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 5:06:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lookin good.  A hand filling grip always makes a revolver more shooter friendly.  I just had a range session where I tried 2 different boot grips and 2 different bigger grips.  On a 442.  I had hogue tamer grips on it but wanted to try smaller grips, just to see.  I actually have to wrap rubber bands around the boot grips to allow enough room for my right thumb to be out of the way of my trigger finger.  

But all said and done, I like the Hogue Tamers the best.  I tried factory laminated wood boot grips, the rubber factory boot grips, and a pachmyr compac.  [color=#0000ff]All of them worked, but the wood boot grips were my least favorite.  Too slippery.  They don't have any checkering.
View Quote
[/color]

I hear what you are saying about needing grips to have some tackiness to them. After all, my EDC is a CZ "P-01" with VZ Diamondback grips. However, these Altamont grips on the Colt... The finger groves more than provide enough purchase on the grip; and I'm of Scottish decent and sweat more than one possibly should. My brother has a 442 Smith. I have to admit that I like that pistol a lot. I didn't think I would because its so light that any self defense round would feel like shooting heavy .357's... But no, its recoil impulse is similar to my pair of M-36 Smiths... which is rather comfortable even with 158gr Buffalo Bore loads that I carry. I never thought I'd be a revolver guy but I keep acquiring vintage Smith's and this Colt. I love them for their ease of carry, simplicity, and reliability. And now that I've found grips that make shooting them a complete joy they'll always be part of the carry rotation and in the range bag!
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 6:04:07 PM EDT
[#3]
ooooh, I think we need a revolver family pic!  

My Colt and I haven't had fun for a while. I can't shoot it well and I think it's out of time.  Which is probably causing it to be not so accurate.  I am going to check if the barrel is real leaded up or not.  Or do some cleaning for lead.  But I shoot my 2 smiths way better.  So therefore I want another smith.  Although I wouldn't mind the new Colt Cobra if you could get them and if they work well.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:07:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
ooooh, I think we need a revolver family pic!  

My Colt and I haven't had fun for a while. I can't shoot it well and I think it's out of time.  Which is probably causing it to be not so accurate.  I am going to check if the barrel is real leaded up or not.  Or do some cleaning for lead.  But I shoot my 2 smiths way better.  So therefore I want another smith.  Although I wouldn't mind the new Colt Cobra if you could get them and if they work well.
View Quote

Send the snubby back to Colt to be re-timed and checked. Barrel leading shouldn't be too hard to get rid of with the right solvent(s) and some patience if that is indeed the problem. These new grips have breathed new life in this bad ass little 6 shot snubby. I CCW'd it to Publix tonight in my front pocket with a "Nemesis" holster that I usually reserve for my "J" frames. I wore jeans, a T-shirt, and flip-flops as it is that season in Georgia. Even with the new grips the Agent tucked away easily enough with no protrusion out of the strong side front pocket. Riding in the truck, in and out, and pushing a cart I barely noticed I was carrying it in my front right pocket. Most importantly, nobody else noticed it either!

Well, Colt had reissued the "D" frame! I like almost everything about it from what I've seen except the fiber optic front sight; of which I'm told will be easy to enough to replace with either a durable tritium insert steel sight or standard sight. If that is in deed the case then I might be in the market for one.

Family pic you say, alright... I'll go first...

Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:33:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Colt doesn't do work any longer.  I found a place or two to do it, but I'm kind of cheap, so I drag my feet.  Plus I'm always concerned if it's worth it if it will just go out of time again.  

family pic

Link Posted: 6/5/2017 12:12:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I dig it!
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 3:40:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Colt doesn't do work any longer.  I found a place or two to do it, but I'm kind of cheap, so I drag my feet.  Plus I'm always concerned if it's worth it if it will just go out of time again.  

family pic
http://i.imgur.com/fFqFmIG.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/yrzIIKF.jpg
View Quote
When I bought the Colt last April I called Colt to ask the usual questions, date of manufacture, etc. I asked what they would charge to refinish the barrel and the cylinder and he said they wouldn't only because the frame is aluminum alloy and if anything happened during the barrel reinstall/disassembly they would be on the hook for a frame they can't replace. However, he did say that if something was ever wrong with the pistol to send it in and they would fix it. Could be one of those things where it depends on whoever you get to answer the phone... Either way, get that nice Colt back in time and keep her running. You deserve it! Nice pics by the way and thanks for sharing! I love Colt's and S&W revolvers! I only wish they were still made to the same quality the vintage stuff was/is. Thankfully there are plenty of the vintage revolvers around and there are lots of Estate Sales in my area!
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 2:20:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, maybe I'll call again.  Hmmmmm......  This guy referred me to this place out West.  Now I forget the name.  I wrote it down.  But they weren't cheap.  I called them.  

It does have a super smooth DA trigger pull.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 7:32:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Very nice
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:43:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Very nice
View Quote
Thanks! I'm going to make tomorrow an all revolver range day. I'll take my M625, the M36's, and the Colt Agent. The wife really needs the practice since we are headed to the Mountain Home for some woods hikes and kayak fishing. Dog attacks, pit bulls to be descriptive; in the community have risen by about 300% since a couple new residents have moved in...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top