Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2017 7:20:13 PM EDT
I inherited my dad's .38 special ctg when he passed away in 2010. It's sat idle in my safe ever since I got it. I recently became intrigued about finding out its manufacture date but can't find any type of serial number registry for S&W revolvers. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Gee, if only there was some kind of a number on S&W revolvers that could help people date them.........someday maybe S&W will learn to do it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 7:40:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Is there a registry similar to Colts website, is my question? In other words, I know the serial number but is there any online data base to search?
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 7:46:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is there a registry similar to Colts website, is my question? In other words, I know the serial number but is there any online data base to search?
View Quote
S&W ''Big Book.''

Hence the ''give the damn SN'' [other then the last 2, just XX them]

The info you are giving is like ''what year is my red car?''

Make

model [open the cylinder, is on the crane unless older then 1957 or thereabouts]

SN.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 7:48:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Bloombergs cronies been wanting to serial number those cartridges for decades too!  Op how about posting some pictures?  Try removing the grips and looking on the butt of the frame for the serial number.  If the gun was made before 1955 or so model number would be on the inside of the crane on the yoke.

CD
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 7:50:42 PM EDT
[#5]
D696592
Model # on box is 10-5 .....and on cylinder 10-5
If that helps.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 8:20:54 PM EDT
[#6]
1974-1975 was the year built. I guesstimate first 1/2 of 1975.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 8:27:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks. I didn't remember him buying it, just knew he always had it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 8:35:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks. I didn't remember him buying it, just knew he always had it.
View Quote
Excellent ''workhorse'' revolvers. Literally millions were made, good SHTF revolvers to keep around.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 8:49:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Was his night stand gun as far back as I can remember. Had an array of S&W 357s but this was his SHTF gun. Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:02:36 PM EDT
[#10]
S&W M10 is still considered the best for building a PPC gun. The triggers are very smooth once they are well worn.  

Many agencies kept them well after semi-autos we're the hot ticket.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top