Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2017 9:36:45 AM EDT
Looking for an inexpensive snub nose .38 for a truck gun/ back up carry. Between the M85 and Undercover, which is the better gun for the money ? Trigger, fit and finish, warranty, customer service , etc. Locally the M85 is $260 and the UC is $330. Both are "black finish" and rubber grips. I like the larger grip and finish on the Charter, but is the Charter worth an extra $70 ? -Thanks
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:45:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I would suggest looking into the Rock Island/Armscorp M206. It's a budget revolver had for around $200, but I have heard and read decent things about them. When I actually held it in hand, it felt better than a Charter Arms I use to own.

Don't excpect Smith or Ruger quality, but if you just want it to throw in the truck, I would start there.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:49:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I used to have the Taurus 85, and I changed out the grip to the larger Hogue grip and it made a HUGE improvement.  It was a decent, cheap revolver.  Not pleasant to fire (has a hard snap, and rubbed the trigger finger), but that will probably be the least of your worries if you have to use it in self defense.  Only holds five shots though.  The trigger pull was very heavy, but smooth.  I don't have experience with the other one you mentioned.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:54:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Take a really good look at a Rossi.  

Why?

Ever take a look at the internals of a Taurus or Charter Arms.  Then, compare it with a Rossi.  Guess which one would probably be easier to do an "action job" on.

Hint: the one that mimics the S&W.  Not saying that parts will exchange.  I know for sure that the grips won't.  But that being said, the internals are "familiar enough" to most any revolver gunsmith(s) who knows their way around a S&W.

BTW....I'm speaking of the "older" Rossi revolvers (they generally have a good reputation).  And, I don't know what the internals look like in the new Rossi revolvers.  

Anyway, Rossi was recently taken over by Taurus.  The new Rossi revolvers are now covered by a "guarantee."   The old ones are not covered.   So....why not get the NEW Rossi?  Ok, Ok, ok.....you could (I guess).   But, I'd want to "inspect" the internals first (just to be sure).

BTW, in so far as newer models....I guess I should also add, that I won't buy a S&W if it has a "Hillary Hole."  To me, newer ain't always better.

Aloha, Mark

PS....Yes, I onced owned a Charter Arms revolver.  I gave it away and kept the Rossi.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 6:53:47 AM EDT
[#4]
New charters are hit and miss. Some like to shave lead due to timing issues.
My U/C Lite and Bulldog are fine though
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 7:19:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Looking for an inexpensive snub nose .38 for a truck gun/ back up carry. Between the M85 and Undercover, which is the better gun for the money ? Trigger, fit and finish, warranty, customer service , etc. Locally the M85 is $260 and the UC is $330. Both are "black finish" and rubber grips. I like the larger grip and finish on the Charter, but is the Charter worth an extra $70 ? -Thanks
View Quote

Why are you considering either one? At $330 for a Charter you're just a box or two of ammo away from a Ruger or Smith.

S&W 642 = $339

Ruger LCR= $365

Quality is appreciated long after price is forgotten. It's foolish to skimp on $20-$40 (or even $100) and resign yourself to owning comparative junk for years. For just a little more you can buy something you won't regret -- and retain more resale value.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:09:28 AM EDT
[#6]
As a truck gun concealment is not a critical factor in this price range the better option is a smith model 10 used police security  trade in - places like j&g usually have them for around 300 bucks. Far superior too the others mentioned. ( I sure do miss the days of going into my old dealer back east in the 1990's and early 2000's when he literally had bushel baskets of model 10's and you could hand pick your revolver for 125-150 dollars each,3 for 350!)
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 2:50:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had both. The Taurus has a sketchy warranty and long wait times for repair, not so for the CA.  here are pics of my two current CA's, an Undercover and a Bulldog.

Link Posted: 7/22/2017 2:21:14 PM EDT
[#8]
for $300 or less you can't throw a rock without hitting a decent used semi auto...   if you were local to me, I would sell you a nib Turkish made 40 compact or used Ruger P90 for $300 each.  My LGS has a used CZ40P for $300.

BTW, every new Charter I have seen is meh at best.  Couple weeks ago at the show there a 95% condition newer production J frame without the lock (DAO concealed hammer) for $269.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:15:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Another choice, a Taurus M605.  Although a .357 mag, I only shoot .38 self defense loads from it.  It will have a better trigger and a better grip than the 85.  Mine in stainless ran $300.00 OTD at my LGS.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:29:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Taurus model 85 and Rossi model 351. Both are nice little revolvers and capable of firing .38 +P ammunition.

I am not saying that they are the equal of a S&W J frame but I do believe that they are a good value for the money.

I also have a S&W 360J Scandium .38 and a 631 stainless .32 H&R Magnum.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:34:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I saw a S&W 342 no-lock at the gunshow today for $329. No reason not to go with a S&W.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:41:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Of the two, Taurus.

I've got the older stainless and a new poly, can't kill them. Ran 500 lswc thru the poly to make sure.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:43:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:04:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd opt for neither.

A Smith Airweight can be had for about three and a half bills.

A Charter Arms I may consider in 22lr.

Out of new production guns Rossi looks better than Taurus, finish wise, while costing less...but they're both a bit rough in the action and spotty in quality.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 2:07:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 2:50:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah I was gonna say the general consensus in my mind would be that charter might be the better deal as far as reliability.   I would do like the others are saying and see if you can't find a 642/442 or some other J frame for around that price or maybe a bit more.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 4:56:43 AM EDT
[#17]
I love my 357 Charter, got a 44spl but have not shot it yet. My 357 has much better trigger than my smith.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top