Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2017 10:29:57 PM EDT
I picked up a new 627 Pro and the barrel crown looks off. It has some rough edges. Compared against my 20 year old J frame the crown roundness looks off and it has some burrs on the outside edge. Is this normal? Should I send this back to get re-crowned.

Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:44:55 PM EDT
[#1]
How's it shoot? If you think it affects that then I'd say send it in, but if it's still a shooter then I wouldn't hassle with shipping it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:50:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, how does it shoot?  If the crown isn't right, it won't shoot accurately.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:00:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks a little wacky but first you need to shoot it.  If it aint right S&W will still make it right even after you shoot it.  So before you waste alot of time sending it back and waiting for them to fix an issue that may not be an issue shoot it.

Purely conjecture on my part but I think some of the "strange" looking crowns I have need from S&W maybe that they are crowning the barrel then electro-chemically cutting the riflings.  This leaves a non-typical crown but in most cases shoots just fine.  I could be completely wrong on the order of operations but its my working theory.

Either way.  Shoot it with a few good ammo types and then make a crown judgement.  I have seen some hideously look barrels and crowns that shoot just fine. 
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:45:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I've only put a single box through it but it does seem pretty accurate. I was just surprised with how it looked. I guess If it shoots accurately its not an issue.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:25:07 PM EDT
[#5]
That is a recessed target crown. It isn't supposed to be rounded. There should be no burrs, but I cannot see any burrs in the pictures. I do see the lands and grooves of the rifling...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top