Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2017 12:48:29 PM EDT
I have a replacement barrel I'd like to get put on my M1917 Colt.  Can anyone recommend a good place to have that work done?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:06:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Turnbull?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 5:42:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Cylinder and slide perhaps? I seem to remember a place called something like burr hill ? Ranch that specialized in revolver stuff. Finding people who know how to work on revolvers is becoming a lost art
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 5:43:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Might I also ask what the issue is that you want it rebarreled?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
It has been shot so much the original barrrel almost looks like a smooth bore sewer pipe.  It could probably use more work than the rebarrel honestly.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 6:55:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Colt used to do work.  Not sure if they still are.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:35:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I know Colt does not work on guns this old. Regarding the barrel shoot it first if you have not already. I have had some pretty rough looking barrels still shoot very well.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 1:11:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I would check locally myself.  A barrel change isn't that difficult to do.  They need the proper frame wrench.  Then it is just timing it up setting the gap and making sure the forcing cone is in spec.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 1:14:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Hamilton Bowen.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 1:19:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It has been shot so much the original barrrel almost looks like a smooth bore sewer pipe.  It could probably use more work than the rebarrel honestly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just to be thorough, have you cleaned the ever loving dogshit out of the barrel to include lead/ copper solvent to ensure it's not just extreme fouling? I've found that old guns, especially low pressure ones, are more likely to look eroded due to fouling, than actual bore erosion. 
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 2:54:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just to be thorough, have you cleaned the ever loving dogshit out of the barrel to include lead/ copper solvent to ensure it's not just extreme fouling? I've found that old guns, especially low pressure ones, are more likely to look eroded due to fouling, than actual bore erosion. 
View Quote
I have to agree with this sentiment.   Wearing out the rifling on a .45 auto would take 100's of thousands of rounds.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:11:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm in the same (almost) situation. I have a Colt 1909 in .45 Colt (same gun except in .45 Colt), it's been refinished years ago and has a sewer-pipe barrel. I picked up a new 'old' stock' 1917 barrel, want it chopped to 4.5 inches (one of the New Service standard lengths), have a new front sight put on, and mounted to the gun.

Called Turnbull, nice fellow called me back and said they won't do any barrel work on a New Service but if I ever want it blued or engraved they would give me a quote.

Called Colt. They don't work on their revolvers at all and suggested Grant Cunningham.

Called Cunningham, he is retired and referred me to Frank Glenn. Frank Glenn is backlogged.

Single-Actions forum referred me to Andy Horvath but he doesn't used a website. At all. Called his number, got no answer.

Thinking about finding a lathe, buying the end cutters and forcing cone cutters and doing it my damn self.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:06:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I am in the same boat as RevolverRO. I have a S&W 1917 .45 acp that is all matching except someone put a 6 1/2" S&W .455 British barrel on it.
AND they cut the front sight down by half and installed a dovetailed gold bead front sight on it. Not a pretty sight! pun intended... It has been reblued
except for the barrel so that is a later "improvement".

I can't find a barrel anywhere (except for the NOS S&W 1917 barrel on eBay for $630 !). I passed on that one.

I am thinking of cutting the barrel off at about 4 inches and crowning it myself. Then a front sight of some kind. Turning
it into an Indiana Jones type.

Good luck in your search.

Norm
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 9:07:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Try John Taylor Machine.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:35:31 AM EDT
[#14]
ironhead7544, thanks for the tip. he has done some cool stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top