Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2017 9:16:33 AM EDT
I'm looking for a cheaper .357 mag revolver to buy and came across the EAA Windicator.

How is EAA quality? I know they make autos but haven't ever seen one.

Anyone have one of these or handle them?

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:50:08 AM EDT
[#1]
EAA doesn't make anything. They are just the importer. That's not really important. The Windicator is a decent gun, from what I can tell. A friend of mine has had one since they came out, and it's been problem free.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:21:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I had a snubby.  I didn't like the narrow serrated trigger because it hurt my finger.  I had one issue with the cases sticking due to firing too hot of ammo.  It took a rubber mallet to get them out.  Traded it to my brother.  He has it and still likes it.  It is now a truck gun for him loaded with 38 special +P.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 5:42:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I have always wanted one of the 4 inch versions, but can never find one anywhere.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 8:13:41 AM EDT
[#4]
The Windicator double action revolvers are pretty hit and miss, more miss than hit. The Bountu Hunter SAA line are considered good, and actually very stout.

My suggestion would be if you can find one for cheap, <$200, give it a try.

I would personally get a Taurus DA over a Windicator.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 10:22:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Was not impressed with the one I fondled a while back.  Very rough finish, very gritty and heavy trigger.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 6:11:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a 4 inch Barrel Chambered in 357 Mag. I got it for $270 New about a year ago.

I have fed it a exclusive Diet of low end 357 Mag Handloads and Some Pretty hot Handloads. It sees about 100 Rounds of 357 Mag every month about 20 of those being max pressure handloads.

The gun is actually very accurate and quite satisfying in Single Action, The Double Action is very Meh, Heavy, not smooth but it has worked itself smoother over the past year.

For what I paid im very happy with the gun, it shoots very well, is inexpensive and has a lifetime warranty.

It is roughly finished, has a cheap zinc barrel shroud that dings easy, the crane screw has a habit of working loose without blue locktite.

If I could go back I would have saved another $150 and got a Taurus 357 Tracker in 4 or 6 inch, but money was tight and I wanted a medium/long barrel for testing 357 handloads that I didnt need to treat like a safe queen.

I would buy one for sure IF you can find one for under $280, they are hard to find with 4inch barrels.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 2:18:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Zinc barrel shroud?  Well that's a hard stop for me.  I'll stick with my S&Ws!
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 2:43:55 PM EDT
[#8]
owned on a few years ago
Shot fine, never had an issues with it
The finish on them does leave a little to be desired
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 6:51:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Windicator double action revolvers are pretty hit and miss, more miss than hit. The Bountu Hunter SAA line are considered good, and actually very stout.

My suggestion would be if you can find one for cheap, <$200, give it a try.

I would personally get a Taurus DA over a Windicator.
View Quote
Agree, and I'm 0 for 4 on TearAzz

My Windicator went back for repair when it locked up with a round in chamber
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:19:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I know someone who has an older Windicator, it's been a decent gun, no problems. I decided recently to go a different way in a cheaper, ahem, budget, .357:

SAR SR38:

All steel clone of an S&W 586/686. Nice DA trigger. So far, so good.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:48:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I wouldn't personally pay for one OP. I would just save another $200-300 and get a used Smith... In my opinion a cheap revolver isn't worth the trouble unless you just like to tinker/play with them on the work bench. I certainly wouldn't have one for serious use. If I had to have a cheap revolver for self defense then Charter Arms would be the lowest quality I'd go. I've seen, shot, and handled maybe a half a dozen of them and they work... YMMV...

ETA: Rossi makes a pretty good "budget" revolver too OP. I forgot to mention them as well. My brother had one for almost 20 years that we put hot hand loads, and many, many Georgia Arms pills thru her without nary a hiccup... So Rossi and Charter Arms would be my Economy Go-To revolver's. Top of the line would be vintage Colt (but they are too damned expensive I must admit and only have 1 of those), vintage and even current model Smith's being my favorite. Estate sales have really good deals OP!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:10:17 PM EDT
[#12]
They're fine for what they are.  Not the prettiest, not the lightest, not the best trigger.  But they work.  For the money they are tough to beat.

I owned one awhile back.  Traded it off eventually.  If an EAA Windicator is what you can afford then get one.

The fella who buys a $200 Windicator and spends $800 on range ammo/time is WAY better off than the guy who buys a $1,000 tricked out beauty of a big-name gun and never shoots it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:34:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They're fine for what they are.  Not the prettiest, not the lightest, not the best trigger.  But they work.  For the money they are tough to beat.

I owned one awhile back.  Traded it off eventually.  If an EAA Windicator is what you can afford then get one.

[color=#980000]The fella who buys a $200 Windicator and spends $800 on range ammo/time is WAY better off than the guy who buys a $1,000 tricked out beauty of a big-name gun and never shoots it.
View Quote
[/color]

This is true!
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:19:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I have one. It shoots fine with .38s, but has a tendency to lock up when using magnums.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:31:29 AM EDT
[#15]
The Windicator is made in Germany by Weihrauch, while Weihrauch makes some nice air rifles and rimfire rifles, their revolvers have always had cast zinc parts. If you look at the EAA website, you will notice that their .38 Special revolvers are not for sale in States that have a melting point requirement for handguns. The .357 revolvers have a steel frame but small parts are still made out of ZAMAC.

EAA Corp.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 7:34:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought a .357 Windicator a couple of weeks ago as part of a collection of inexpensive revolvers, took it to the range this week and the cylinder locked up on me.

I was shooting factory Magtech 158 gr. .38 Special (non +P) and it was my third cylinder full. While firing rapidly, DA only, after the 4th shot the trigger did not return forward.  I could move the hammer back and forth (it would not lock back) but the trigger did not move, the cylinder did not move, and I could not get the cylinder open by hand.

After taking some precautions for safety, I finally knocked the cylinder open with a tool and the trigger popped back into place. I removed the 4 spent shells and 2 live rounds and put some snap caps in it, and everything appeared to work normally again.  I put the gun away, deciding I would take a closer look when I got home.

To this point I cannot figure out why this happened. Without taking the gun apart I can't see anything externally wrong with it and it appears to function like it should with snap caps at least.  I saved the brass from the range and see nothing abnormal about it either.  I have put empty brass back in it, cycled it through and everything appears to work, whether single or double action.

I am kind of stumped, but will shoot it more to see if that happens again. I suspect this may be a heat related problem just from what I have read in various places, but I am not sure. It was a very hot day and I was shooting rapidly.

I certainly would not recommend this revolver as something to depend on.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 1:20:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The fella who buys a $200 Windicator and spends $800 on range ammo/time is WAY better off than the guy who buys a $1,000 tricked out beauty of a big-name gun and never shoots it.
View Quote
That is one opinion, and everyone is entitled to there own.

In my opinion, $500 to $1,000 for a decent handgun is not a big deal.   I will admit that I do go easy on some guns and not shoot them much.   My old early 70's Python is one that has had an easy life.   On the other hand, my Dan Wesson 744 (44 mag) has had a hard life in everything from competition to hunting.   It has had countless rounds through it.   I also don't shot my Colt Gold cup much any more.     I have a dual cylinder Ruger Bright Stainless Vaquero that is still like new, yet it's 44 mag Super Blackhawk sister has been shot a ton.   I have some German WWII Nazi guns (P08 & HP35) that don't see action but a West German Sig 226 that has seen thousands of rounds through it, though I am a Glock fan boy.  To me, the bottom line is that certain guns, though not expensive may become special and retire.    Beyond that, most handguns just are not expensive can be had for less than a grand before sights, triggers, grips, and so on.  

I agree with shooting whatever you carry, use for home protection/defense, and/or hunting and shooting a lot.   Still, there is nothing wrong with retiring guns and not shooting them.  

Looking at the need for a medium revolver, I would never buy a Windicator, ever.      I have found deals on Armslist for a S&W Performance Center 686 + for under $700.   A buddy snatched that up.    I know CenterFireSystems has used 38 Spl.  S&W model 10's for $280 and S&W model 64's for $320.      Heck, I am definitely no snob.    I often carry a cheap Ruger LCR 38 spl + as second or third gun.    Those are available in 357 magnum also.    There are decent guns available.   There is no need to get a Windicator.

I mentioned these examples.   (NO, this is not my "collection".   These just a few of my guns.)

Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:55:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I know someone who has an older Windicator, it's been a decent gun, no problems. I decided recently to go a different way in a cheaper, ahem, budget, .357:

SAR SR38:
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1055x591q90/924/jwlJkT.jpg

All steel clone of an S&W 586/686. Nice DA trigger. So far, so good.
View Quote
I apologize the the thread-jack, but how do you like this after owning if for a bit, 77Powerwagon?
I'm surprised by how nice it looks in your photo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top