Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2017 5:32:32 PM EDT
My new S&W 617 -6 has noticeable rough machine marks on the forcing cone.Is this acceptable? I fired it 200 times without issues.

Click on the link for better pics
http://imgur.com/a/uI4pU
http://imgur.com/a/eEKRm
My 629-4 5" classic. Smooth forcing cone.

My lady Smith purchased couple years ago is little rough but not as bad.

My Ruger Redhawk 44 mag 5.5" also smooth.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 6:03:45 PM EDT
[#1]
What it looks like is not as near important as what it shoots like! Yes we pay hard earned money for these things and have high ( maybe sometimes too high) expectations on fit and finish. If the gun runs and shoots to an acceptable accuracy standard I would not be at all concerned
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:53:09 PM EDT
[#2]
It shoots fine..it's still a production line revolver, and as we know, a lot of mistakes can happen on the production line .Just seems someone should be paying more attention. S&W makes great revolvers ,some bad ones will invariably get out the door. To inspect every part on every gun to know whether they're perfect would cost them out of business -- so we become the final step in quality assurance . S&W will fix it if needed.Of that I have no doubt.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 1:51:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Yup, I was gonna say that it might be lead splatter.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 1:59:37 PM EDT
[#5]
It will probably have to be acceptable. That's what you get from S&W these days. The die-hard loyalists contend that as long as it shoots OK we can't complain, after all Smith is just trying to keep costs down. Apparently "keeping costs down" requires a near complete abandonment of quality control.

Since all the current production revolvers of their's I've looked at recently come in around $1000, I'm not seeing a lot of cost savings. And the two used ones I've recently purchased (I have my own cost saving requirements) have unacceptably heavy DA triggers. All the remedies for that have so far produced mis-fires. For $1K I'll buy older S&Ws, without locks and MIM parts from now on. But then I'm an old geezer and getting cranky in my advancing years.

Dave
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 2:59:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It will probably have to be acceptable. That's what you get from S&W these days. The die-hard loyalists contend that as long as it shoots OK we can't complain, after all Smith is just trying to keep costs down. Apparently "keeping costs down" requires a near complete abandonment of quality control.

Since all the current production revolvers of their's I've looked at recently come in around $1000, I'm not seeing a lot of cost savings. And the two used ones I've recently purchased (I have my own cost saving requirements) have unacceptably heavy DA triggers. All the remedies for that have so far produced mis-fires. For $1K I'll buy older S&Ws, without locks and MIM parts from now on. But then I'm an old geezer and getting cranky in my advancing years.

Dave
View Quote
In general terms I'm at a similar place myself. There are new new and used well below 1K - but I get what you are saying
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 4:19:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Dave
View Quote
I've (sort of) gone that route too.   I'll only buy a S&W revolver without the Hillary Hole.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:45:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I got a new 627 perf center last year that has the same issue. It kinda sucks especially being a perf center gun. The gun shoots great and I really like having 8 shots. I like S&W, but it aint no python or anaconda.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 9:04:47 PM EDT
[#9]
S&W issued RMA and got it repaired.I will get it back on Mon the 15th. They cut the forcing cone and polished the back of the barrel .That's what I was told over the phone when I spoke to them few days ago.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 7:59:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I couldn't see the forcing cone in any of your pictures.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:06:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I couldn't see the forcing cone in any of your pictures.
View Quote
The very first pic. I received the gun today. Tech notes are "cut forcing cone and repair barrel". I have no idea on why they cut the freaking forcing cone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top