Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2017 3:53:12 AM EDT
It seems that 10mm continues to gain popularity each year and more companies are making guns chambered for it. So, as the title asks, do you think S&W will make another batch of 610s?

I'm hoping so.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 7:35:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one from the very first batch.  6.5 inch barrel, fluted cylinder.    I like it.

If they were to make more I think it would be better on the L-frame.  The 610 is a big heavy revolver.  A variation on the 646 but in 10mm with a stainless cylinder rather than the original 40 S&W in a titanium cylinder.  A fixed-sight version with a 3.5 inch barrel would be handy.  5 inch with adjustable sights would be good to.

ETA: added pic.  To answer the original question I think they will eventually make the 610 again. IIRC they were introduced in 1990-92.  A second batch was made in ~1998 and then a final batch made in ~2007.  I think that was the last time they made them.  I would say we are about due for another batch.  But they are a very niche revolver and the only thing keeping up demanded for them is the fact that S&W has made so few.  The only reason I originally bought mine was for USPSA Revolver division since I was already setup to load 40S&W.  I would have preferred a 625 (which I eventually got) but the 610 fell into my lap for a deal I couldn't pass up.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:46:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Your pic isn't showing up for some reason.

I know I'm kind of asking a lot, but I'd like to see it stay on the N frame and bump it up to a seven shot. But I don't even know if that's a workable option, but I would like that as well.

Even if they keep it at 6 rounds, I'd still really like to have one. I carry a .40 already and I'd rather stock up on that (and a bit of 10mm) to practice with my CCW and revolvers in the same range session but only load up one caliber. Plus bulk 38spc seems to be going about the same rate as bulk .40 right now, so I'd rather just cut the 38's out altogether and just have some .357 on hand instead (which seems to go for about the same rate as 10mm ~). Basically I just want to consolidate my "caliber footprint".
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:29:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't know a soul who owns a 10mm or anyone that has any interest in it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:59:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I know I'm kind of asking a lot, but I'd like to see it stay on the N frame and bump it up to a seven shot. But I don't even know if that's a workable option, but I would like that as well.

Even if they keep it at 6 rounds, I'd still really like to have one. I carry a .40 already and I'd rather stock up on that (and a bit of 10mm) to practice with my CCW and revolvers in the same range session but only load up one caliber. Plus bulk 38spc seems to be going about the same rate as bulk .40 right now, so I'd rather just cut the 38's out altogether and just have some .357 on hand instead (which seems to go for about the same rate as 10mm ~). Basically I just want to consolidate my "caliber footprint".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

7 round of 10mm/40S&W should fit nicely in an N-frame cylinder.  The problem, as I see it, with making at 610 Plus might be the requirement of a new frame and cylinder setup.  The 610 barrel position on the frame and cylinder holes bolt-circle dimension is the same as all the rest of the N-frames (sans 327/627/929).  The 327/627/929 does move the center of the barrel up and thus a larger bolt circle on the cylinder for the 357mag/38 Super/9mm chambers.  The tradition N-frame setup might not leave enough material between chambers for 7-shots and the 327/627/929 setup might be too far out for 10mm and not have enough metal on the outside of the cylinder.  So it would take a third N-frame setup to get a 7-shot 610 and unfortunately I don't think there is enough demand to offset the cost of engineer into another setup change to the N-frames.

That might all be rubbish to and it just came down to the 610 being made at the request of the competition world (the 1998 run was at least) and at that time it was all 6-shot revolvers.  It was not until 2014 that USPSA and about the same time that IPSC allowed the 7 and 8 shot revolver to play.  IDPA still does not allow 7 and 8 shot revolvers to play.  Even then a 7 shot 610 would be worthless in competition since, although legal, 7 shots is in practice very little advantage over 6-shot and still looses badly to 8-shot revolvers due to the predominance of most cardboard targets getting double-tapped.

One other option is that there is a company, http://www.clementscustomguns.com/rugerdarevolvers.html, that does a 10mm conversion to a Ruger GP100 but its nearly as expensive as a good condition used 610.  And we all know S&W is better than Ruger! 

I think I fixed my image link. Dropbox no longer support image hosting on their free accounts.

Reloading is the way to feed revolvers.  38/357 is so SO much cheaper than commercial ammunition given that they are not making most revolver ammunition in the large volumes they use too.  And to really get the most of out 10mm you need to reload it.  Very few commercial loaders are pushing 10mm to the righteous Mall Ninja power levels it deserves. 

ETA:
Quoted:
I don't know a soul who owns a 10mm or anyone that has any interest in it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:25:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I would be very surprised if they did. Over the last 7 years S&W has not done a lot on the revolver front. The last real push for revolvers with the Night Guard series in 2010. That didn't go so well. Great guns, but very expensive and low capacity. It is possible they will do a PC 10mm special run. But my guess is you won't see any new production 610s.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:40:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I do know you can't fit 7 .41 Mags in an N frame (we did the engineering math over on the S&W forum a few years ago).  Not sure about 7 10mm which is a tick smaller and no rim to boot.  That would be an awesome gun if possible!  A 310+ 3" lightweight and a 610+ 5" with full underlug for me.

Unfortunately S&W has a history of ignoring the true believers in order to crank out scads of common as dirt guns.  While I don't like most Rugers, they look for niches to fill and do a lot more with distributor exclusives and other "interesting" guns.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:56:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I do know you can't fit 7 .41 Mags in an N frame (we did the engineering math over on the S&W forum a few years ago).  Not sure about 7 10mm which is a tick smaller and no rim to boot.  That would be an awesome gun if possible!  A 310+ 3" lightweight and a 610+ 5" with full underlug for me.

Unfortunately S&W has a history of ignoring the true believers in order to crank out scads of common as dirt guns.  While I don't like most Rugers, they look for niches to fill and do a lot more with distributor exclusives and other "interesting" guns.
View Quote
S&W builds what sells.  Like all companies.  A new 10mm revolver would sell in the dozens.  At best a few hundred.  It's not worth the effort.  Smith's assets are better utilized on things that actually make them money.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:57:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

S&W builds what sells.  Like all companies.  A new 10mm revolver would sell in the dozens.  At best a few hundred.  It's not worth the effort.  Smith's assets are better utilized on things that actually make them money.
View Quote
So...Ruger's new .44 Special and their special run of .450 Bushmaster bolt actions for the Michigan market were total money losers?

I'm not asking them to bring back P&R, hot blue, and roll marks on every part.  They have already made them this way and can make them again.  They sold plenty in 2007, is there something dramatically different about that time period?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:18:51 PM EDT
[#9]
The 10mm market seems to be continuing on a popularity uptick and while revolvers aren't as popular as pistols, they're not going away either. S&W, Kimber, Nighthawk/North and Ruger keep making new offerings. I'm hoping it's only a matter of time for the 610.

I think it's cool the S&W forum did the math to see what could be done with 41mag.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top