Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2017 2:30:20 PM EDT
Thankfully it was at the range.  Shooting and couldn't pull the trigger,locked up.  

Going to remove it.  Is there anything that could fill the hole in the frame?

I is a 638 and the inside isn't sealed from debris like my 642 but I don't like the look of the open hole.

When I took it apart I found there was a pin that was press fit in the hand.  It was loose and fell out when I pulled out the hammer.

What is it for?  None of my other Smith revolvers have it.  I just fell it out.

Figured it out. It is to keep the cylinder release from moving forward and letting the cylinder unlock with heavy loads.  Sort of like they did on the 29's a long time ago.

Link Posted: 3/10/2017 2:40:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a Rem 710 fail.  NEVER use a key lockable gun for self defense.  Blocking the key hole will not change the problem.  Send it back to the factory or have a local smith disable it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 2:56:18 PM EDT
[#2]
This guy has hole plugs for about $35 ea.

http://www.sightpushertool.com/SHOP-online.html
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 3:21:20 PM EDT
[#3]
What kind of loads?

I've heard of this happening with the lightweight 357's but never actually with a 38.

Of which I have 2.

Link Posted: 3/10/2017 3:41:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What kind of loads?

I've heard of this happening with the lightweight 357's but never actually with a 38.

Of which I have 2.

View Quote

Hornady Critical Defense +P

I also shoot reloads. Some +P some Normal velocity.

I have less than 100 rounds downrange since I got it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 6:28:31 PM EDT
[#5]
With only 100 rounds through it may not be the lock.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 8:02:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

And then again it might.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 8:57:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

And then again it might.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And then again it might.

It was the lock.  Took it out,  problem gone.

Took it out of my 642 while I was at it
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:20:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Was there any trigger/action work done to it before the failure?
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd send it back to S&W for repair.  Then offload it and buy a no lock 442/642 to carry.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:38:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I own a few S&W revolvers and I steer clear of those with the "Hilary Hole". Only 1 that I own has that dreaded hole but, it's because it's a rare "Dealer Stocking Special" 5" barreled 686 half lug.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 2:41:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I disabled the lock on my only revolver with one, a hard kicking 360.  There's a fellow on the S&W forum that sells plugs as well.  I removed the lock and inserted the plug and I ground off the locking nub so there is no way for it to accidentally engage at this point.  There are videos that show you how to do all of this, it's easy.  It's also a good time to go ahead and install an Apex trigger and clean and polish the internals.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 6:33:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd get it fixed and sell it and get a pre-lock gun. I would love to see everyone quit buying new S&W revolvers with the lock.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 7:02:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Why does Smith still do this? I've never heard anyone say they would buy a Smith because of the Hillary hole but I've heard plenty of people who say they won't.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 7:45:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why does Smith still do this? I've never heard anyone say they would buy a Smith because of the Hillary hole but I've heard plenty of people who say they won't.
View Quote

I have a ''few'' S&W's, none of them have the HH. None ever will.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 8:27:12 AM EDT
[#15]
In before those who say it's not possible...

At any rate, there's a guy over on S&W Forum who sells plugs. I know Smith does runs of the 442 and 642 without the lock, not sure they do the 638. If so, I'd sell it and pick up one of those.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 8:52:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Get THE PLUG
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 9:19:20 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a HH  638   . I need to get that crap out of it as well. Glad to see this post .
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 10:07:06 AM EDT
[#18]
So it was not the internal safety after all?  Was the flag next to the hammer up when the revolver failed?  Pictures would help.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 10:26:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So it was not the internal safety after all?  Was the flag next to the hammer up when the revolver failed?  Pictures would help.
View Quote

Yes the lock was engaged.

Just wondered what the pin in the hand was for?  Doesn't seem to have any purpose
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 11:02:02 AM EDT
[#20]
I own a bunch of Smiths and none have the lock. I specifically got the no lock version of the 642 when I bought mine. I won't say I would never buy one with the lock but I would prefer to not have it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 11:05:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I own a bunch of Smiths and none have the lock. I specifically got the no lock version of the 642 when I bought mine. I won't say I would never buy one with the lock but I would prefer to not have it.
View Quote

I wish they would make a 438/638 Pro.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:40:32 AM EDT
[#22]
I ordered the plug for my 638. Today from John Witt.   $35.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 6:54:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Get THE PLUG
View Quote
I think Bullseye Smith is MIA. :(

That link I posted above... He has them.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 6:34:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think Bullseye Smith is MIA. :(

That link I posted above... He has them.
View Quote

I emailed him from the link you provided. He responded in a couple of hours. He's alive and well. Got a plug on the way.. WarDawg
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 8:44:39 AM EDT
[#25]
I removed the pin from the hand and the lock from the gun. Problem solved. I didn't take the entire safety out jus the part that does the locking. As shown in the pictures
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 6:09:39 AM EDT
[#26]
I just removed mine this weekend. Very simple to do. A youtube video on how to is a must IMO . I needed it anyhow  . I did have trouble figuring out where the damn transfer bar went. When I removed the side plate it fell out with the plate. I had no idea where it went. I had to find a S&W video showing a transfer bar . Some S&W don't have them. The hardest thing for me was getting the supplied clip on the plug and in the slot on the gun. Just remember it can be done. With a beer and a little cussing involved. Cheers WarDawg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top