Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2017 9:58:05 PM EDT
I want one, but don't know if they are worth the price or if there are better choices out there.

Link Posted: 3/3/2017 12:02:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I think you are the only person that can answer the question. If you really want one get it...
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 7:01:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think you are the only person that can answer the question. If you really want one get it...
View Quote

I don't if they are sny good, or if there are better choices.

Seems if you want a custom or semi-custom auto there are 50 choices, but with revolvers, not so much.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 11:55:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Well you can buy a model you really like find a good gunsmith and then customize to match what you want. I recently bought a sweet 586 S&W and sent it off to have some custom work done to it i.e. trigger, bull barrel, chamfered cylinders... comes out to the same price but it is what I want.

BTW I forgot to mention that I do not like the two tone nor the 8 shot cylinder. I have never had one but some revolver guys I know said the higher cap cylinders tend to be in the shop more often. I do not recall why but I think it was timing..?  Maybe someone with some more experience can chime in.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 12:26:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a performance center r8 - love it.  OP, what is making you lean toward the vcomp and what is the intended use? The added weight of the vcomp and added noise/blast would not lend itself to certain uses (and likewise make it better for others).
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 12:36:25 AM EDT
[#5]
That seems a lot more expensive than the standard 627 or even the performance center 627.  If you really like it go for it but a regular 627 might be a better value.  The N-frame is a pretty big heavy revolver so you probably don't need the V-comp, the weight alone does a pretty good job of taming the recoil of 357 Mag.  The two tone can be had with some Cerakote for a lot less money and be nearly as durable as the PVD black S&W uses.  

I have a 627 PC I picked up used a few years ago.  I have never had a timing issue (or any other issue) with it and it has over 10,000 rds through it in USPSA competition.  The 8-shot revolvers are now dominating USPSA revolver division since early 2014 and I have not hear of anyone having more issue with the 8-shot N-frames then they where having with 6-shot N-frames when that dominated the division prior to 2014.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 12:39:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I have only shot a cylinder full of .38 spcl through a V-Comp but it was a very nice gun. Trigger was plenty smooth. I am not an N frame guy, not sure what I would use it for, but it was pretty dang cool.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:53:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have a performance center r8 - love it.  OP, what is making you lean toward the vcomp and what is the intended use? The added weight of the vcomp and added noise/blast would not lend itself to certain uses (and likewise make it better for others).
View Quote

I'd like to use it for target shooting and for pin matches at the local range.
The compensator is removable.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 11:41:45 PM EDT
[#8]
They are good guns. Whether they are worth the price of admission can only be answered by you. If your choice was Smith or Taurus then it's Smith all day. be interesting to see the new Ruger but for now if you want a 8 shot I wouldn't consider anything else. I have shot lots of 627s and they are great. We have a active steel circuit here and a few pin matches as well with lots of guys still running wheel guns.

If you want it get it and don't look back. If you don't limit yourself to a Vcomp you could probably save a money on a used gun.

Quoted:
Well you can buy a model you really like find a good gunsmith and then customize to match what you want. I recently bought a sweet 586 S&W and sent it off to have some custom work done to it i.e. trigger, bull barrel, chamfered cylinders... comes out to the same price but it is what I want.

BTW I forgot to mention that I do not like the two tone nor the 8 shot cylinder. I have never had one but some revolver guys I know said the higher cap cylinders tend to be in the shop more often. I do not recall why but I think it was timing..?  Maybe someone with some more experience can chime in.
View Quote

I call BS on the 8 shots being in the shop more unless you count voluntary work done because they are used by a ton of competition shooters. In fact I am not sure but I think the new USPSA rules probably made it the #1 choice but I've been out of the loop for a while.  

The timing stuff is pretty much all the same. The only thing I can think of that is weird is the cylinder bores are convergent( I think that's the right word). Basically the chambers are tilted in towards the center so they can use a little smaller cylinder.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 12:47:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey its not my opinion but from what you said it is comp shooters that use it and not the ave Joe 6 pack so there may be some truth.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 5:15:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I like the Competition or Competitor more than the VComp
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 8:28:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know which one the competition is I was unable to find it. The Competitor is a cool gun but a 6 shot 357 isn't a great steel or pin gun unless you are shooting in a division restricted to 6 rounds.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:52:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd say go for it. The extra weight along with the comp (if you leave it on) will make even full house loads pretty mild (but still a little blasty). 38sp will be extremely light shooting.

One recommendation would be to get the thickest moon clips you can that fit. It makes a HUGE difference trying to load the gun with 357 rounds (the thinner moon clips let the 357 rounds move around more making it more difficult than expected to load it quickly - at least for me ymmv)
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 8:26:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'd say go for it. The extra weight along with the comp (if you leave it on) will make even full house loads pretty mild (but still a little blasty). 38sp will be extremely light shooting.

One recommendation would be to get the thickest moon clips you can that fit. It makes a HUGE difference trying to load the gun with 357 rounds (the thinner moon clips let the 357 rounds move around more making it more difficult than expected to load it quickly - at least for me ymmv)
View Quote
With 38/357 they make different moonclip thickness to work with different manufacture's brass. You need to match your brass to the moonclip or vise versa.  There is no standard or even requirement for the moonclip groove on 38/357 brass.   You won't get older Winchester on .025 thick moonclips.   Remington brass will be very floppy on an .020 and even .022 thick moonclips.  For best performance your brass and moonclip must be paired to get a firm hold that does not bind in the cylinder.

ETA:   TK Custom makes moonclips specifically for Star-line brass that a lot of competitive shooters use but TK moonclips are very pricey.  Personally I have found the Revolver Supplies' .025 thick moonclips combined with Remington brass gives me a similar fit but for far less money for the moonclips.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 11:45:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't know which one the competition is I was unable to find it. The Competitor is a cool gun but a 6 shot 357 isn't a great steel or pin gun unless you are shooting in a division restricted to 6 rounds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looking at that one too. Advantage 'L' frame & 6" barrel, Disadvantage 6 shots.

I was researching the difference between L & N frame last night when I realize that I have an N frame.
It's an old Model 29 in 44 mag. It belonged to my father and I've not shot it in 30 years, so it slipped my mind.
I will do a comparison between it and my 686 to help determine if I want to have N frame or not.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/performance-center-model-686-competitor-6-weighted-barrel

Link Posted: 3/7/2017 3:55:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Looking at that one too. Advantage 'L' frame & 6" barrel, Disadvantage 6 shots.

I was researching the difference between L & N frame last night when I realize that I have an N frame.
It's an old Model 29 in 44 mag. It belonged to my father and I've not shot it in 30 years, so it slipped my mind.
I will do a comparison between it and my 686 to help determine if I want to have N frame or not.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/performance-center-model-686-competitor-6-weighted-barrel

https://snwcdnprod.azureedge.net/sites/default/files/styles/product_main/public/firearms/images/170319_01_lg_0.jpg
View Quote

I have a 627 V-Comp, I think it is a great choice. I'd like to add the 629 V-Comp to the collection too.

With regards to the one you posted above above, I always feel like S&W dropped the ball. It looks like the barrel shroud was just jammed on there with no effort to blend it in.

Attachment Attached File

Really S&W?  You couldn't do a better job here?
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:32:34 AM EDT
[#16]
I own the 629 V-Comp and I absolutely love the gun.  So much so that the first chance I get I'll be adding the 627 V-Comp for a full set.  These PC revolvers are really, really nice and I don't think there's anything out there as good for the money.  Especially for range fun and competition I think it's a fantastic choice.

Link Posted: 3/8/2017 2:13:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I own the 629 V-Comp and I absolutely love the gun.  So much so that the first chance I get I'll be adding the 627 V-Comp for a full set.  These PC revolvers are really, really nice and I don't think there's anything out there as good for the money.  Especially for range fun and competition I think it's a fantastic choice.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/Brandiwynter/IMG_0181_zps54260412.jpg
View Quote

Nice!  Tell me more about that red dot mount please.....
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 2:31:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Nice!  Tell me more about that red dot mount please.....
View Quote

Thanks, it's a Trijicon mount designed for mounting a Trijicon RMR to N frame S&W revolvers.  I figured I'd give it a try since I had a spare RMR sitting around and it sounded like a cool project.  I gotta admit, it's pretty awesome.  Not so great for snap shooting because it does take a bit to "find the dot" but it gets much easier with practice.  For shooting at the range it's just plain awesome, just put the dot on the thing you want to go away and pull the trigger!  It also gets a lot of attention from other shooters lol.  The mount is a bit pricey in my opinion but you always know you get high quality stuff.

I'm thinking about going back to the original sights so I can practice shooting iron sights more, I'm a bit spoiled using the RMR.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 9:43:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Love my Vcomp.

But mine is neither .357 or .44 magnum

Mine's a .45ACP
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:51:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Attachment Attached File

.45 ACP Vcomp performance center.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:27:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I really enjoy my 627 Vcomp. The thing shoots lights out, trigger is second only to a custom job, and the extra length just shoots great. I also love the look.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:50:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I love the two-tone but don't care for the 4" comped barrel.  I'd love a two-tone 627PC 5".  I know some were made in the early days of the 8 shooters and are nearly impossible to find outside of collections.

Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:08:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I love the two-tone but don't care for the 4" comped barrel.  I'd love a two-tone 627PC 5".  I know some were made in the early days of the 8 shooters and are nearly impossible to find outside of collections.

http://calzaretta.com/scans/627Pinto1s.jpg
View Quote
The two tone guns always looked awesome. Probably wouldn't be too hard to duplicate on your own though?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#24]
I recently got a 627 "pro". They also had the 627 V-comp, but it was $500 more.

I took it to my local smith, who builds race revolvers. He completely reworked the internals and smoothed everything out for me. I didn't have him take the trigger to competition level light as I wanted to run factory ammo through it.

I swapped the grips out to the smooth rubber Hogue (model 25012) so I could get rid of those awful finger grooves, and I popped on a Hi-Viz sight. Done.

The N-frame is a honey with .38 and still very manageable with .357. My first time out, I was able to keep a cylinder dump within a 6-7" circle from 7 yds back (I was screwing around to see if I could). The weight of the barrel on that pro model keeps the barrel hop way down, it is very manageable for followup shots.  

Long story short? I'd save the $500, get the Pro, and have a smith rework the internals.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top