Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2017 11:25:50 PM EDT
Looking for a new woods/camp gun and thinking about a .44 since I'm picking up a Marlin .44 rifle in the near future. I've handled but not shot the 69 but not a 3 inch 629, most of the shooting with it will likely be with specials, and mags would just be factory loads.  
Anyone have both? Opinions on either as a woods gun?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:17:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm curious about the 69. Hadn't really been aware of them before today in fact. They look smaller and more cheaply-made than the 629s. Would like the lowdown on them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:09:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks like the Model 69 Combat guns are built on the medium size L frame, think modern 357 Mags, and the 629 is built on the large size N frame.  Aside from that they don't look much different other than which finish you choose or if you go to the 629 Stub Nose from the Performance Center.  I have the 357 version of it and it shoots great, plenty of mass to control the recoil even with a 2.625" barrel.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:35:18 AM EDT
[#3]
The model 69 is only 2 ounces lighter, but gives you an extra inch and a half on the barrel but is only a 5 shot.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:08:33 AM EDT
[#4]
1. How much does that weight mtter to you?
2. How often are you going to be shooting it?

I have a 3" 629 with a full lug barrel and a unfluted cylinder so it's chunky. I never did any long distance hikes or backpacking so the weight didn't bother me and it helps mitigate recoil.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:10:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Only thing that worries me about the 69 is the mixed reviews about a two piece barrel.  

The 629 is a proven quantity The larger frame also allows 6 rounds vs 5.  

I want  .44 mag myself and will be trying to make the same decision at some point and will not rule out a Ruger either because of the tank like build qualities and usually beefier top strap.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:12:04 PM EDT
[#6]
There is nothing to fear with the two piece barrel, and every review I have read of the 69 has been positive.  The lock is the only thing keeping me away from a purchase.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:19:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Personally, the only real reason I would be interested in a Model 69 is the new one with the 2 3/4" barrel would be for a concealable .44 Special.

For a woods gun I would go with either a 4 or 5 inch Model (6)29 or maybe a Model 24 if I could find one.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:27:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had some Redhawks in the past and looking to lighten the load some. That's why the 69 has caught my eye, it comes in at 37.4 oz and the 3 inch barreled 629 is 39.6 oz. 

I can gain an inch and a half in sight radius with the 69 or gain the 1 extra round with the 629. 
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:07:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Never shot or handled a 69
I do have a 3" Lew Horton 629 , fluted cylinder and a not quite full lug.
I really like this gun but it is fairly heavy although the shortness allows it to be holstered well.

All my other 44 mags are 6 or 7 " so this is nice , the others are range only.

I have sort of had some thoughts on having a 4 1/2 or maybe 5" 629 done . Nothing I need , really sort of a "how would this shoot" type of thing
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:35:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The model 69 is only 2 ounces lighter, but gives you an extra inch and a half on the barrel but is only a 5 shot.
View Quote

There is a certain logic to that. For a backpacker each ounce matters, you have a bit of extra MV and realistically for a bear by the time you get off 5 shots it is probably over one way or the other.

FWIW I have a 3" 29-4. Never knew they existed until the day I bought it. Kinda silly in blue steel, since the obvious use is for backpackers, fishermen, and back up for hunters.

But I like sitting with it, empty of course, as I drink scotch and murmur "my precious, my precious . . ."
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:07:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There is a certain logic to that. For a backpacker each ounce matters, you have a bit of extra MV and realistically for a bear by the time you get off 5 shots it is probably over one way or the other.

FWIW I have a 3" 29-4. Never knew they existed until the day I bought it. Kinda silly in blue steel, since the obvious use is for backpackers, fishermen, and back up for hunters.

But I like sitting with it, empty of course, as I drink scotch and murmur "my precious, my precious . . ."
View Quote
The practical choice seems like the 69, but there is something very very cool about a 3 inch N frame
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:10:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup. I REALLY wanted the Backpacker, because it's ported and short/handy. But the 329PD is just so much lighter that I felt compelled to get it instead. I took a trail hike with my dog this morning and could barely tell the 329 was on my hip. That wouldn't have been the case with my 4" Taurus M44. Even my Sig Ultra Carry compact 1911 feels weighty on my hip. The 329 is a true featherweight. Which is why it's masochistic to shoot. But if the time comes that I need to shoot it in defense, I doubt the recoil will be on my list of worries.I'll shoot .44 Special in the meantime (which is also what I'll carry in non-griz country).
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:12:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I went with a 629.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:07:27 AM EDT
[#14]
I haven't been impressed with the 69's I've handled. I would go 629, no doubt.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:21:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I haven't been impressed with the 69's I've handled. I would go 629, no doubt.
View Quote

Why not? Out of curiosity.

It seems like it would be a decent gun.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 11:15:48 AM EDT
[#16]
I went on a week long hunting foray last year and one of my buddies carried a 69. It's a neat revolver. He's retired and shoots it literally almost every day of the week and therefore by his own admission has run a few thousand rounds through it so far. BUT, his daily shooting load is a 240 gr. SWC running a smidge under 800 fps. A couple of years ago I owned an N-frame with a 3" barrel and just didn't like it...not enough barrel for that size frame.

If you're primarily going to shoot Special's, you might consider Ruger's new GP-100 in .44 Special, especially if that's all you're going to shoot through your lever rifle too. The GP-100 has a 3" barrel and weighs 36 oz., same as an S&W 69. If you're a handloader, the .44 Special in stout revolvers such as the Ruger's can be loaded up to the same levels as factory .44 Magnum's as offered by the Big 3 manufacturers. Besides, .44 Magnum loads aren't really necessary for any mammal in the lower 48 unless you intend to shoot something really large. Case in point, below is a picture of my buddies Model 69 with a boar he shot a few months ago. He shot it at 44 yds. and was using the light load I mentioned above.  

Link Posted: 3/3/2017 12:40:15 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a variety of S&W 44s, from 3 inch 629 (Mountain Backpacker), Mountain Guns, and Classics in 5, 6.5 and 8 3/8 inch barrels. I also have an Astra Terminator (3") and a model 69.

The Mountain Gun has been a long time favorite, and I have three of them.  But the 69 makes an even better holster gun.  If I were forced to only have one 44 right now it would be the model 69. Fortunately this is not the case and WILL have a 2 3/4" 69 when they become available.

IMHO the factory grips on the 69 suck donkey dick.  I much prefer these new Hogues that don't have finger grooves.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 1:21:18 AM EDT
[#18]
I have never had an N frame,  but I did own a 4 inch Colt Anaconda for a few years. Gun was way to big for me to hang off a belt. An L frame is about as big as I want to carry.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 8:34:49 AM EDT
[#19]
I think I'm sold on the 69, thanks guys.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 8:48:21 AM EDT
[#20]
I've had two S&W 69's.  The first I sold to a friend then I realized some months later than I really like it.

The factory grips do suck, they feel pretty good in the hand but they're not good in terms of helping out with recoil, which this gun has a LOT of.

I bought mine from Buds over in Lex, pretty good price if they have the price match option available for it, I think I got my last one at about $680.

I will say that while it's a good choice for packing around, I don't think it's a gun that I'd want to shoot a lot of just because I don't find it very pleasant, and I've owned a number of 454's and a 500 Mag, so I'm not new to big recoil.   As a side note, Hogue has a set of tamer grips with the gel insert that fits the 69, they're better than the factory ones by far.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 11:14:27 AM EDT
[#21]
I will shoot some mags from it but the majority of use will be special loads. Just wanting a handgun to match a rifle.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I will shoot some mags from it but the majority of use will be special loads. Just wanting a handgun to match a rifle.
View Quote

I much prefer shooting magnum loads out of a single action. The grip frames seem to roll in the hand more than a straight back shove.

My next magnum will most likely be a Blackhawk, but I wouldn't kick a M69 out of bed.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 11:10:30 PM EDT
[#23]
The 69 is built on the K-Frame.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 11:41:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:i
The 69 is built on the K-Frame.
View Quote

L Frame
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 6:41:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, I went to my lgs to check out a 629 and walked out with a 625. I was also looking into a Glock 41 so I kind of killed 2 birds with one stone almost. I will still pick up a .44 just not today evidently.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 2:49:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Well, I went to my lgs to check out a 629 and walked out with a 625. I was also looking into a Glock 41 so I kind of killed 2 birds with one stone almost. I will still pick up a .44 just not today evidently.
View Quote

LOL, that kind of thing happens a lot.  The bright side being you got a new gun and the other bright side is you get to buy another one later.  The 625 is a nice shooter.  I don't really have use for a .45 acp revolver (other than the .45acp cylinders for my Blackhawks) but it's a sweet wheel gun.  

I have a S&W 629 V-Comp which would make a great trail gun.  They are kind of big but smaller and lighter than a Redhawk and you get your full 6 rounds.  The V-Comp has the advantage of the compensator to help with muzzle rise or you can take it off and use the flat thread protector giving you a 4" barrel.  Personally I think a 4" .44 magnum double action loaded with hardcast SWC is about the perfect trail/camp/hike gun.

Congrats on the new revolver!
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:50:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Will be trying the 69 2 3/4 inch when they are available.  Have a variety of n-frames in 44 special,45 acp and 44 mag and enjoy them.  Mainly interested in the 69 because it is a L frame with shorter length to trigger face.   Most of the loads used will be loaded to 44 special velocities.  For me this equates to a 696 that could handle hotter rounds on occasion, with considerable less bulk than a n-frame.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:13:25 PM EDT
[#28]
I have both the 629 3" and 69 4".  Recoil seems pretty similar.  I love shooting all my N-frames but the 69 is definitely easier to carry all day long in the woods.  I changed the grips to a set of  S&W tamer 500 X-frame Hogue.  They shoot great but are somewhat bulky and clingy to clothing.  I changed them out for a set of Renegade Laminate but haven't had a chance to shoot with them.  I imagine the 2.75" model 69 will be a handful with hot 44mags.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 12:02:13 AM EDT
[#29]
2.75" M269 is on my radar. Would be a great weight saver over my 5" 629 for hunting rough country.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:34:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Check with S&W but I'm 98% certain the 625 is rated for .45Super in addition to .45acp+P's... which is a whole nother' beast... I run it in my converted Springfield "Loaded" 1911 with Buffalo Bore's 255 grain Hard Cast Truncated Cone loads. It's pushing a hair over 1100fps. You'll lose a bit of velocity with the cylinder gap of the revolver but results will yield similar. Enjoy that revolver! I'm looking for one actually for a full time .45Super "woods gun..."
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 11:35:43 PM EDT
[#31]
629 I say. The triggers I've tried on the 69's I've tried left a lot to be desired.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 6:24:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Even though you already purchased your gun, I have some input.

I have a S&W 69 with the 2.75" barrel. It is awesome.

I was originally looking for something to carry as a woods gun, and with the new Combat Magnums out this year, S&W is offering the 66 in 357 and the 69 in 44, both in the 2.75" barrel configuration. I was originally very interested in the 66, but I didn't want to add yet another caliber, I already have plenty of 44 rounds and I'm a reloader, and the caliber matches my Marlin 1894 used for white tails. Even though the chances of running into a bear big enough to necessitate the 44 magnum in Ohio, it still makes a lot of sense for me, plus will be useful on out of state hunting trips, too.

The factory grips are not bad, to be honest. I describe it as unpleasant, or a nuisance that needs to be managed. A 44 magnum is a stout round in the heavier loadings to be sure, but I have no problems controlling the recoil with my grip. I think technique is more important when handling recoil than grips, frankly. I have considered getting wood grips for this gun, but I think it may cross the fence from "unpleasant" into "painful."

My personal hunting load is a Sierra 240g JHC #8610 loaded with 21 grains of 2400 powder to about 1640 FPS from the 20" Marlin. In the short barrel of the 69 I get around 1220 fps. I also load a Speer Gold Dot 210g with 22.3 grains of 2400 to about 1320 fps for a general walking around load. Both loads are on the higher end of the SAAMI specs, but not terrible to handle. I also load a 200 grain LRN to about 900 fps for 44 special practice.

The best part of the 69, however, is the size. It is just big enough to be intimidating and easy to control, but the perfect weight for swinging around and putting on target. It is compatible with N frame and L frame holsters, as I have used both for it. The two piece barrel is actually really nice, and once you see how it is manufactured and installed, it makes a lot of sense as to why they did it. The ball detent on the yoke is very firm out of the box, but after some usage I can now get the cylinder out with one hand. The ball detent allows a full length guide rod, but for some reason I always get 1 or 2 fired rounds hung up in the chambers when using brass cases.

My bottom line is this thing is awesome and I recommend it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 11:01:21 PM EDT
[#33]
With barrels under 4", they become more of a 44 special gun than a 44 magnum gun for my uses.  I bought a 2.75" 69 for a 44 special gun.  With the short barrels, the 44 mag loads are just so loud and belch so much flames.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 10:16:23 AM EDT
[#34]
After five different S&W 629's in barrel lengths for 3"-6.5", I gave up my long term 624-4 Mountain Gun for the 4"  M69. For me it's the simple fact that I shoot the K & L frame revolvers better. My loads are 280-300gr bullets at 950fps. Plenty of power for N. America bears, much easier for me to shoot well out to 35 yards or so, and it carrys easily in a hip or chest holster. In my hands there is much less muzzle flip with the lower bore line on the L framed M69.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top