Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2017 1:07:53 PM EDT
I'm not very familiar with revolvers. I just got a new 340 for pocket carry. I'd like to replace the grip with something smaller and smoother (not tacky rubber). I'm really thinking about the old school wood j frame grips. Where do I get something like this? Recommendations? Do I have round or square butt?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 2:28:24 PM EDT
[#1]
You have a round butt; if you ever think you will shoot a magnum round go with larger grips instead.  Otherwise, I buy the $25 dymondwood grips that look like the older magmas of the 60-90's.  They are great detail but sting a little with even 38spl rounds.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 2:35:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Where do you get them?
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 2:50:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought my last few sets of dymondwood grips from Midwayusa, but they have went up to 34.99 and are out of stock.  They are little more here but in stock: http://store.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_758004_-1_757843_757837_image
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 2:55:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you sir.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 2:58:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know about the quality but you could try these: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=3&campId=5337559805&toolId=10001&customId=iz1lv6r2ej00zk8a00axe&mpre=http://m.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FS-W-J-FRAME-Models-60-30-32-34-ROUND-BUTT-CHECKERED-WOOD-GRIPS-Random-2-%2F182042955380%3Fhash%3Ditem2a629b0e74%3Ag%3Ar6sAAOSwzaJX3sce%26_trkparms%3Dpageci%3Ae4413d74-f08b-11e6-ac39-74dbd1a04167%7Cparentrq%3A2e893c0715a0a786f5f9b469fffabe1a%7Ciid%3A24

Edit: It only goes to EBay's home, but just search round j frame grips and there are tons of original magmas and reproductions starting at about $25 shipped.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 3:02:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I appreciate it. Going with the Dymondwood. Thanks a bunch.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:09:54 PM EDT
[#7]
You could always buy some G10 grips too. That is what I have on my 340. I don't know of a grip made that can tame the 340 shooting magnum loads and it still be a useful pocket gun. There are a few companies making G10 grips and selling them on eBay. Also for pocket carry I use a kydex pocket holster from Aholster company. Stays in my pocket but makes for a super slick draw. I use it for both my 340 and 342. Pocket holster
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:06:20 PM EDT
[#8]
That AHolster looks really nice. I've been using a Desantis Nemesis so far.

I don't plan to ever put a magnum through it. I do, in theory, like that I can if absolutely necessary. But I liked that this model was a couple ounces lighter and had the front night sight. My carry load is the .38 Special 135gr Gold Dot +P. I've run a few cylinders full of it through this little guy and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:41:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Take a look at Altamont. They make a bunch of styles.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:05:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I've tried about every grip known for j frames. My all time favorite is the Uncle Mike's Combat grips or the slightly smaller S&W versions that are a full three finger grip currently in production.

If you are looking for small and light the current plastic S&W boot grips are pretty good. The only known lighter grips are the Hogue Bantoms, but rosewood magmas or dymondwood come pretty close to being as light weight and are smaller. Some of the synthetic ivory or pearl grips can be light and small such as the old Jay Scott grips.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:25:50 AM EDT
[#11]
http://www.handgungrips.com/JFrame_Round_Butt_=_Smith__Wesson/35/c/3045

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 5:41:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://www.handgungrips.com/JFrame_Round_Butt_=_Smith__Wesson/35/c/3045

You're welcome.
View Quote

Wow, very nice selection!
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 8:53:06 AM EDT
[#13]
The old Uncle Mike's boot grips that used to come on the Airweights are still my favorite.  While I like the look of wood, the J frames, especially the airweights and doubly so the .357s, are just not comfortable to shoot for extended periods and honestly they take some time on the range to be proficient with.  They make great carry guns, but shooting .357s from the 3 series (Ti/scandium) guns is like wacking the web of your hand with a hammer handle after a couple of rounds- and I like big bore revolvers. I've done it with my 360 just to try it but I load it with the Speer 135gr .38s.  Faster follow up shots are much easier.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:51:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Take a look at Altamont. They make a bunch of styles.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 7:37:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I carry my M&P 340 every day, either pocket or IWB.  I put on a set of Crimson Trace grips because they are thinner than the stock grips, smooth hard plastic on the sides (not sticky), and still have a little cushion on the back strap.  

Link Posted: 2/13/2017 8:01:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This
View Quote

This again.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 8:25:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I carry my M&P 340 every day, either pocket or IWB.  I put on a set of Crimson Trace grips because they are thinner than the stock grips, smooth hard plastic on the sides (not sticky), and still have a little cushion on the back strap.  
View Quote

Mmm I'd love to put some CTs on it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:17:59 AM EDT
[#19]
H,

Something to read.

LSA

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_33/166780_SandW-J-Frame-Airweight-Grips---Can-You-Get-A-Hold-Of-What-You-Carry-.html&page=1
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:03:48 AM EDT
[#20]
You really need to look at the ALTAMONT
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:50:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I don't plan to ever put a magnum through it. I do, in theory, like that I can if absolutely necessary. But I liked that this model was a couple ounces lighter and had the front night sight. My carry load is the .38 Special 135gr Gold Dot +P. I've run a few cylinders full of it through this little guy and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting.
View Quote

I use the Nemesis about 50% of the time on the proverbial 10pm CVS Pharmacy visit; tucked in my right side pants front pocket. It's a nice way to pocket conceal an M36 or any round butt "J" frame. However, I have large meaty thighs... and while have yet to be called out for printing with it; it's constantly on my mind. So I bought a matching nickel plated, round butt "J" frame snub a while back ago to go with a mint blued M36 I bought a Sunday or two ago. It came with an OWB holster, (my first OWB holster in 20 years because I generally don't like them), a Bianchi "Model 58"molded for the "J" frame. It came with the pistol so I said what the hell... so I put it on and it cinched in so nice/comfortably at 4:15 against my waist. With just a T-Shirt over it, it's hard to see print. With a light NorthFace jacket over it, for get about it, disappears! So I've been carrying that 50% of the time for same said Pharmacy runs. The pistol/Bianchi combo was purchased from a cop who carried it exclusively as his BUG on duty and his primary for off duty. We had similar body types/builds so I figured maybe he's onto something. The Bianchi makes for a slightly faster presentation than pulling from the Nemisis as well. Both are superb for CCW though. YMMV.

I also went with some combat stocks from Here!. I'm 90% sure they are teamed up with S&W some way and they make quite a few grips/styles for S&W wheel-guns. I went with the "S&W J Round Combat Super Rosewood" stocks and they are fabulous! About the same width/girth as the stock Magna's but about .5 to .75 of an inch longer as to get that pinky fully seated, "just over barely" but more than doable. They make for shooting 158 grain (standard pressure) a semi-joy to shoot. If the Dymondwood's make for discomfort while shooting for you then check out the Altamont's I mentioned. Best yet, they make the little "J" frame almost as concealable as the stock Magna's the M36 comes with...
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:55:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

It appears you've done your homework on the latest innovation in .38Special ammo as well, the GD 135gr+P's... They penetrate and expand better than anything else I've researched over the last 6 months. I've yet to get my hands on them even from my go to online vendors like SGammo and AmmoToGo... They are always out due to the popularity. I use BuffaloBore's 158 grain soft lead "Keith" style HP's... They claim they are standard pressure but I don't know about that as they push a hair over 850fps from my 2" D-frame Colt Agent. Hornady 158gr XTP's are a pretty nice substitute too if you find yourself in my predicament OP...
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:20:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It appears you've done your homework on the latest innovation in .38Special ammo as well, the GD 135gr+P's... They penetrate and expand better than anything else I've researched over the last 6 months. I've yet to get my hands on them even from my go to online vendors like SGammo and AmmoToGo... They are always out due to the popularity. I use BuffaloBore's 158 grain soft lead "Keith" style HP's... They claim they are standard pressure but I don't know about that as they push a hair over 850fps from my 2" D-frame Colt Agent. Hornady 158gr XTP's are a pretty nice substitute too if you find yourself in my predicament OP...
View Quote

50 round boxes of 53921 in stock here.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:09:16 PM EDT
[#24]
S&W web store offers grips as well.

www.gungrips.net is another grip website worth checking.

Good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top