Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2017 12:30:20 PM EDT
So I am kicking around the idea of pucking up another revolver just for the joy of owning another revolver and I realized thst my single action holdings were sorely lacking.  Now I have really wanted a Ruger Blackhawk .357 for some time and I'm looking for a stainless model.  Now the question is, convertable or no, and what barrel length?  I  torn between the 4.6 or the 5.5.... this will just be a fun gun, toss on the hip while walking property or camping and such.  Also, is the extra cylinder worth it?  Couldbe nice to shoot 9 mil if the mood suits.

Opinions welcome!
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#1]
My vote would be to go for the convertible cylinder model with the 5-1/2" barrel. The 9mm is a lot of fun (and cheaper to shoot). For me, the 5-1/2" barrel length balances better in the hand and it is still easy to carry (Especially when seated in a vehicle).....
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:48:29 AM EDT
[#2]
A 4.6" convertible has been on my list for a while, that gets my vote.  The length is just a personal preference of mine I suppose... I love 4-ish inch barrels on a revolver.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:40:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Ruger dose not make a Blackhawk chambered in 357 with a 5 1/2" barrel. They make the Vaquero with a 5 1/2" barrel chambered in 357. The Blackhawk only comes in a 4 5/8" and a 6 1/2" barrel. Other chamber sizes are offered in 5 1/2" but not the 357.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:03:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the 45 colt in the Blackhawk and love it. I need to load some blackpowder cartridges for it.
Now you are talking fun. I shoot 357 mag with bp. Gets a lot of questions at the range.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:17:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Blackhawk Convertible in 357/9mm with the 6.5 inch barrel.  Despite the fact that I don't really like of have much use for 357 Magnum anymore (subject for another thread) the revolver has been a good revolver.  The 9mm cylinder is interesting and fun.  The long barrel makes it a shooter; tames the recoil and give a good site radius.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:48:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ruger dose not make a Blackhawk chambered in 357 with a 5 1/2" barrel. They make the Vaquero with a 5 1/2" barrel chambered in 357. The Blackhawk only comes in a 4 5/8" and a 6 1/2" barrel. Other chamber sizes are offered in 5 1/2" but not the 357.
View Quote

Model #5247, 5.5 convertable, whether it is still available is another story.  I am torn, I love the idea of the shorter barrel but think thst 5.5 may be optimal.   Depends I guess, if I saw a 5.5 availablr at an ok price I would probably  buy, otherwise the 4.6 would be great...
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:53:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Model #5247, 5.5 convertable, whether it is still available is another story.  I am torn, I love the idea of the shorter barrel but think thst 5.5 may be optimal.   Depends I guess, if I saw a 5.5 availablr at an ok price I would probably  buy, otherwise the 4.6 would be great...
View Quote

I have .45 Colt/.45 ACP convertibles in 5.5” and a .357/9mm convertible in 6.5”. The .357 is very accurate; the 9mm is more accurate than I expected, but the barrel is a bit long. I prefer the 5.5” guns with the .45 ACP cylinder, modified to take .45 AR, as range guns.

The 5.5” .357 convertible looks good. It is a Lipsey’s model, so it could be difficult to find.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:06:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I have several single actions and find that the Ruger excels at the big bore .44 s . My Super Blackhawk has one sweet trigger
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:01:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have .45 Colt/.45 ACP convertibles in 5.5” and a .357/9mm convertible in 6.5”. The .357 is very accurate; the 9mm is more accurate than I expected, but the barrel is a bit long. I prefer the 5.5” guns with the .45 ACP cylinder, modified to take .45 AR, as range guns.

The 5.5” .357 convertible looks good. It is a Lipsey’s model, so it could be difficult to find.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed on the barrel length and possible difficulty locating one... the 4.6 may have to be the best option.  My SBW .44 is a 7.5 inch and it is a cannon... love it but want back tot he more manageable end of the spectrum size wise.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:35:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually they do make a .357 with a 5 1/2" barrel. It's a convertible too.

Ruger New Model Blackhawk Convertible .357
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:57:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I haven't tried out anything in the 5.5 , but I've got a 4 5/8 New Blackhawk convertible in .45 acp/ .45 Colt, that I love. After that , I bought a SBH in .44 mag with a 7.5 barrel, and while it's fun as hell to shoot, it's not nearly as "handy" if you follow.
I shit you not, I love the 4 5/8 so much, I literally just (two hours ago) bought another one. This one only has the .45 Colt cylinder. For now.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:06:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Lots of fun with my NM  blackhawk with the 4 5/8 bbl.  9mm is a joy to shoot and I have some wild h110 loads in 357mag that rattle my gp100s.  Very solid revolver built on a huge frame.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:45:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got a 4 5/8 New Blackhawk convertible in .45acp/.45 Colt; I've never shot .45acp out of it.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:45:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've got a 4 5/8 New Blackhawk convertible in .45acp/.45 Colt; I've never shot .45acp out of it.  
View Quote

@Sandboxmedic
Wanna make a deal? I'd take the acp cylinder off your hands....
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:57:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

@Sandboxmedic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Sandboxmedic

Nah, the cylinder is serial numbered to my gun.  I bought the gun used and whoever owned it before me had obviously had it tuned because both cylinders lock up tight and the action is very smooth including a free spin pawl.  When I first got it and was checking it out was probably the only time I've put the cylinder in the gun and it still looks basically new; it's oiled up and sitting in the little red Ruger bag.  I keep meaning to try it but that gun hasn't been out of the safe in years now.    

They do occasionally show up on eBay and Gunbroker though.  
Here's an example I found on ebay (no affiliation) .45acp Blackhawk cylinder  The two on Gunbroker are listed at $160 & $180.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:03:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Nah, the cylinder is serial numbered to my gun.  I bought the gun used and whoever owned it before me had obviously had it tuned because both cylinders lock up tight and the action is very smooth including a free spin pawl.  When I first got it and was checking it out was probably the only time I've put the cylinder in the gun and it still looks basically new; it's oiled up and sitting in the little red Ruger bag.  I keep meaning to try it but that gun hasn't been out of the safe in years now.    

Here's an example I found on ebay (no affiliation) .45acp Blackhawk cylinder  The two on Gunbroker are listed at $160 & $180.  
View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:51:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

They still ship with the littlw red velvet Crown Royale bag for the other cylinder???  Sweet!
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:42:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They still ship with the littlw red velvet Crown Royale bag for the other cylinder???  Sweet!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No earthly idea, IIRC mine's an early eighties New Model (I can't remember what year; it came in the cardboard box).
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:01:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No earthly idea, IIRC mine's an early eighties New Model (I can't remember what year; it came in the cardboard box).
View Quote

Is there really a serial number on the cylinder? Neither of mine have this.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:43:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Is there really a serial number on the cylinder? Neither of mine have this.
View Quote

Yeah, if I remember it's on the end of the cylinder.  I'm not in the States so I can't check and take a picture.

ETA- found this thread Rugerforum.  Apparently some were, some weren't but Ruger list it in the manual.  

Page 11-  Ruger Blackhawk manual
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:18:20 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a stainless Blackhawk in .357 with the 4 5/8" barrel and like it a lot. I would think 5.5" would be fine too but 6.5" would be longer than I'd want. If you reload I don't see much use for a 9mm cylinder but around here .38/.357 have gotten a bit more expensive for new ammo so if you are buying factory then maybe it would be beneficial.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:01:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Actually they do make a .357 with a 5 1/2" barrel. It's a convertible too.

Ruger New Model Blackhawk Convertible .357
View Quote

True but this is the Midsize Blackhawk and not the NM Blackhawk built on the large frame. This gun is the equivalent to a New Model Vaquero with adjustable sights.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 2:00:34 AM EDT
[#23]
The Convertible Blackhawks are awesome.  I started out with a blued 5.5" .45 Colt Convertible that's been a fantastic gun.  I just bought a stainless 5.5" Blackhawk Bisley Convertible .45 Colt which is one that I've wanted forever and am in the process of selling the blued Convertible.  I'd keep it but I don't need two and I need to free up the cash.  I'm not sure I will venture into the .357 Blackhawks, maybe a New Vaquero someday.  You can't go wrong with any of the Ruger Convertible single actions.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:06:05 AM EDT
[#24]
For your purpose I'd go with a 4-5/8".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top