Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2017 1:40:30 PM EDT
I bought a Ruger Blackhawk  .44 Special. It has a different size grip than just about all the other Ruger single actions. The black checkered grips that came on it are too skinny for my taste. Can someone steer me to where I can buy different grips that are thicker and /or tell me what size grips are on these pistols.

Thanks

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:09:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Being a Flat Top model, that will be the same grips as the New Vaquero. You can try Altamont for grips. Ruger's rosewood grips are a bit thicker than those cheese graters.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 12:17:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Being a Flat Top model, that will be the same grips as the New Vaquero. You can try Altamont for grips. Ruger's rosewood grips are a bit thicker than those cheese graters.
View Quote

Thanks. Those grips look good. Now I have to decide which ones....
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#3]
For this particular model (and I have one), the Hogue soft overmolded grips are excellent.

Because of the grips, I can shoot full power 44 magnum loads all day like they were 44 special target loads.
No sting. Great positioning of the hand.

If you are going to shoot a lot of full power loads, this handgun with Hogue grips. No other.

G.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 10:46:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I do like the original Ruger grips because they are thinner then most, which I find more comfortable, but even those I do change out. I use a style called gunfighter grips. They have a bit more flair top and bottom. I do think the above mentioned Altamont makes some along with Eagle grips (they also have Evil Roy styles (thicker, if thats what you wish)). Neither will break the bank.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 7:58:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Try Lone Star Custom Grips if you want something to really dress up your gun.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top