Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2016 5:11:48 PM EDT
Anyone here plan to pick one of these up when they become available?

I recently heard an interview with Grant Cunningham on these revolvers and the user adjustable trigger intrigues me. Also they say that the DLC coating they use is so tough that they don't develop a cylinder line.

Yes I know they are expensive. But suggested retail is about the same as a Colt Python with no rust and revolver enthusiasts never shut up about those.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 11:31:40 AM EDT
[#1]
The only one that is even remotely interesting to me is the Skyhawk.  They actually built a revolver around the 9x19mm cartridge and that has me interested.  The cylinder and frame are shortened to take advantage of the shorter cartridge.  The pictures on the website are for the 2-inch version.  I would like to see what the 3-inch version looks like when they release it.  That would make for a nice tractor/woods revolver that could be feed lots of cheap ammo.  It looks a bit to bulky for pocket carry.  Wonder if they will do a smaller five shot version?

The other two are so boring, especially in light of how expensive they are.  A 6-shot 357mag is BORING .  Make me something interesting.  Make an 8 shot to compete with S&W 627/327/R8 revolvers.  That I could actually compete in USPSA with.  Make one in 10mm Mag/10mm AUTO/40S&W.  Mall Ninja would rejoice.    Even 45ACP moonclip gun with a 4 inch barrel would be fun in IDPA.  A 44 Mag would be better if your going to only give me a 6 shooter.  But for the price of a Korth 6-shot 357 mag I can New York City reload with four good S&W revolvers.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 7:20:13 PM EDT
[#2]
The 9mm is really cool, just way out of my price range.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 7:48:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Pics?
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 8:56:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pics?
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 8:57:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 9:27:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 9:46:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I would love to have the 4" .357 Mongoose

http://www.nighthawkcustom.com/pistols/korth-revolvers-1/mongoose-357

But for $3,500 I can buy a collection of S&W K/L frames.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 10:02:43 PM EDT
[#8]
$1500+ should include night sights, which the Skyhawk doesn't appear to have in the above pics. Love the concept of it being built around the 9mm, but the price is just so ridiculous.

As stated above, why not try to compete with a newer concept of bigger capacity? If you're going to charge crazy amounts for a revolver, it should offer some better competitive or combat capability.

ETA: Size wise they could've even incorporated one of these type lights instead of doing the forward slant (which looks good but is pretty useless otherwise):
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 10:19:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 11:18:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Ever see the last Korth USA price list?  Nothing under $4K.  Lots up in the $5K - $6K range.

This is a hand made revolver.  Not a production piece.  Value is a very subjective thing.  Is a Rolex watch worth the price of entry?  Do you just want to tell time or do you like owning something that represents the best the industrialized world can produce?

If all I want to do is send a .355 to .357 projectile downrange I can do that with a perfectly functional and utilitarian Glock.  Or I can enjoy it a bit more with a nice Smith and Wesson.  Or maybe I will enjoy something like a Korth enough over my lifetime to justify $3500.  Plus some Nill grips (Hogue rubber?  Really?).  As for lasers, mounts, vent ribs.. thank you Nighthawk for having the insight not to do that.

I can't imagine a better woods gun than a Korth 4" .357 revolver.  And if I can swing one of these, I think it's going to be a real pleasure to own and shoot.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 10:12:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Ever see the last Korth USA price list?  Nothing under $4K.  Lots up in the $5K - $6K range.

This is a hand made revolver.  Not a production piece.  Value is a very subjective thing.  Is a Rolex watch worth the price of entry?  Do you just want to tell time or do you like owning something that represents the best the industrialized world can produce?

If all I want to do is send a .355 to .357 projectile downrange I can do that with a perfectly functional and utilitarian Glock.  Or I can enjoy it a bit more with a nice Smith and Wesson.  Or maybe I will enjoy something like a Korth enough over my lifetime to justify $3500.  Plus some Nill grips (Hogue rubber?  Really?).  As for lasers, mounts, vent ribs.. thank you Nighthawk for having the insight not to do that.

I can't imagine a better woods gun than a Korth 4" .357 revolver.  And if I can swing one of these, I think it's going to be a real pleasure to own and shoot.
View Quote
Korth will let you hang shit on a revolver if you like.

For me I don't have the need for a safe queen and a Korth would end up being that for me.  A 6-shot 357 has little utility to me at that price point.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes, a regular Korth is in the $5000 range, and are made of forgings with extensive hand fitting. These have CNC machined parts and less hand fitting than the regular model.  The extra 9mm cylinder will add $1000.00 to price also.

You can order a new Manurhin MR-73 for about $2700.00.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 12:37:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Yes, a regular Korth is in the $5000 range, and are made of forgings with extensive hand fitting. These have CNC machined parts and less hand fitting than the regular model.  The extra 9mm cylinder will add $1000.00 to price also.

View Quote

If Korth starts with forging on their regular revolvers then I would expect Nighthawk Korths to start with the same forgings.  It would make no sense to try to make "cheaper" by starting from billet, especially if you already have forgings at hand.  Billet is more expensive at all but very low volume.  You forge parts primarily as a cost savings the increased material properties are a minimal secondary bonus.  In either case I would expect CNC machining of the parts to finish shape.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 1:38:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Now with video.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 1:42:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was, and still am thinking about the Manurhin. However I talked to one of the outfits that imports them a few weeks ago and the wait would be many months long.

I am also concerned about the lack of replacement parts and service. That's one of the things I like about this deal with nighthawk. They will provide at least some degree of service. Even if it is most likely going to be pricey.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 4:10:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I was, and still am thinking about the Manurhin. However I talked to one of the outfits that imports them a few weeks ago and the wait would be many months long.

I am also concerned about the lack of replacement parts and service. That's one of the things I like about this deal with nighthawk. They will provide at least some degree of service. Even if it is most likely going to be pricey.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Replacement parts are available, yes, the wait is long. Usually the wait is 1 year, but, there is an importer who orders large batches about every 6 months. I called and ordered mine and will only had to wait 6 months. I should have it late Dec. or early Jan.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 4:20:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If Korth starts with forging on their regular revolvers then I would expect Nighthawk Korths to start with the same forgings.  It would make no sense to try to make "cheaper" by starting from billet, especially if you already have forgings at hand.  Billet is more expensive at all but very low volume.  You forge parts primarily as a cost savings the increased material properties are a minimal secondary bonus.  In either case I would expect CNC machining of the parts to finish shape.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Nighthawk Korth revolvers are not made special for Nighthawk, they are the National Standard line.

On the National Standard line they start with billet, not forgings, and the CNC machining minimizes hand fitting.

Here is a quote from Michael Zeleny, a very well known Korth enthusiast:

"I fired the Korth-badged versions of these revolvers at this year’s SHOT Show. There were some teething problems with some of the guns on the stand, but the ones that worked did a good job of approximating the feel of what Korth Lollar calls its Classic line, at half the price. Compared to the Ratzeburg originals, it is a different design wherein the cylinder rotates the wrong way, with its latch moved from the back to the side; made of different materials, i.e. CNC billet rather than ground forgings. Also, according to Korth, the National Standard is designed to minimize hand-fitting. They seem to be angling for what Manurhin did with its MR93, namely just-in-time assembly out of closely toleranced parts. Of course, that futuristic revolver was a “clean sheet” design adapted for casting technologies, not a simplification of an existing design for CNC manufacture. Also, whereas Manurhin got out of the gun-building business as a result of banking on the MR93 just as “wondernines” came to dominate the administrative procurement market, Korth Lollar has a better chance of enduring within the sport shooting niche."

Still, for those who want a Korth at half the price, this is a good choice.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 5:52:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The Nighthawk Korth revolvers are not made special for Nighthawk, they are the National Standard line.

On the National Standard line they start with billet, not forgings, and the CNC machining minimizes hand fitting.

"I fired the Korth-badged versions of these revolvers at this year’s SHOT Show. There were some teething problems with some of the guns on the stand, but the ones that worked did a good job of approximating the feel of what Korth Lollar calls its Classic line, at half the price. Compared to the Ratzeburg originals, it is a different design wherein the cylinder rotates the wrong way, with its latch moved from the back to the side; made of different materials, i.e. CNC billet rather than ground forgings. Also, according to Korth, the National Standard is designed to minimize hand-fitting. They seem to be angling for what Manurhin did with its MR93, namely just-in-time assembly out of closely toleranced parts. Of course, that futuristic revolver was a "clean sheet” design adapted for casting technologies, not a simplification of an existing design for CNC manufacture. Also, whereas Manurhin got out of the gun-building business as a result of banking on the MR93 just as "wondernines” came to dominate the administrative procurement market, Korth Lollar has a better chance of enduring within the sport shooting niche."

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"I fired the Korth-badged versions of these revolvers at this year’s SHOT Show. There were some teething problems with some of the guns on the stand, but the ones that worked did a good job of approximating the feel of what Korth Lollar calls its Classic line, at half the price. Compared to the Ratzeburg originals, it is a different design wherein the cylinder rotates the wrong way, with its latch moved from the back to the side; made of different materials, i.e. CNC billet rather than ground forgings. Also, according to Korth, the National Standard is designed to minimize hand-fitting. They seem to be angling for what Manurhin did with its MR93, namely just-in-time assembly out of closely toleranced parts. Of course, that futuristic revolver was a "clean sheet” design adapted for casting technologies, not a simplification of an existing design for CNC manufacture. Also, whereas Manurhin got out of the gun-building business as a result of banking on the MR93 just as "wondernines” came to dominate the administrative procurement market, Korth Lollar has a better chance of enduring within the sport shooting niche."

That sound even less appealing.  Paying that price for a completely new untested (to some degree) design for that price.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 6:19:29 PM EDT
[#19]
The crane set up screams of RG...............

I'm sure it's a quality piece, it just doesn't exude that sense due to it's design.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That sound even less appealing.  Paying that price for a completely new untested (to some degree) design for that price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The National Standard line has been out for a while, they are a high end revolver, just not made to the same level as their top of the line models.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The National Standard line has been out for a while, they are a high end revolver, just not made to the same level as their top of the line models.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 11:46:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Hmm, hadn't noticed the crane being all that different.

What jumps out at me is the cylinder release. I really liked the looks of the original Korth behind the hammer release.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:55:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Is the Sky Hawk the least expensive handgun Nighthawk offers?
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 1:35:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Is the Sky Hawk the least expensive handgun Nighthawk offers?
View Quote

To the best of my knowledge yes. I don't claim to be any sort of expert though.

I think I heard there are some old Korth revolvers from when they first started making guns that are less than a grand.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 1:41:44 AM EDT
[#25]
I thought korth called this is the air marshal?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I thought korth called this is the air marshal?
View Quote
I think the Sky Marshal was an earlier variation of what became the Sky Hawk.  It had more picatinny rails on it and may have been made more for the European market.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:30:35 AM EDT
[#27]
When Korth had designed the Sky Marshall they had been unaware of how the ATF import point system works, as I found out in a conversation with their C.E.O., Mr. Weber. I have handled the new line of revolvers and seen the parts in the Lollar factory and had also visited the second factory in Ratzeburg and toured the production.

While the new revolvers are definitely very high quality the price level is prohibitive to success in the American market but apparently they are selling well in Europe. I miss the quality feel that the old handmade Korth revolvers offer, just as the Swiss SIG P210 is preferred by me over the SIG Sauer P210.

The Evolution of the Korth Sport revolver
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 7:06:43 AM EDT
[#28]
That 6" Supersport with the 4 position sights would be the bee's knees for PPC. That trigger seems very interesting.  No U.S. manufacturer makes a dedicated PPC gun and fewer smiths are building them.

I wonder if Korth needs to sponsor a U.S. shooter to increase awareness? ??

Something like this.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 3:21:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Welp, they are writing articles about these in gun magazines now.

Here's hoping they will be floating around soon.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 8:43:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Anyone else a bit concerned that there's no mention of Korth anywhere? I can't even find a rollmark indicating it was made by Korth in Germany. Surely Nighthawk isn't making it themselves... right?
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 2:11:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
* * * Make one in 10mm Mag/10mm AUTO/40S&W.  Mall Ninja would rejoice. * * *
View Quote

Absolutely! I'd be all other one of those.
And yes, a super expensive 6- shot .357 mag revolver is, at day's end, still a 6-shot .357 magnum. BORING!

I had a 1st Gen S&W 6.5" 610 once upon a time that I'd considered shipping off to Hamilton Bowen for his "conversion" of the cylinder to 10mm MAGNUM specs. Then too good an offer of hard cash came along and I sold it to fund another project gun.

But a 10mm mag wheelgun that can also run the 10mm AUTO and .40Sneezy-Weezy cartridges with moon clips is something I've been wanting to see happen for a long time.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 2:23:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

And yes, a super expensive 6- shot .357 mag revolver is, at day's end, still a 6-shot .357 magnum. BORING!

I had a 1st Gen S&W 6.5" 610 once upon a time that I'd considered shipping off to Hamilton Bowen for his "conversion" of the cylinder to 10mm MAGNUM specs. Then too good an offer of hard cash came along and I sold it to fund another project gun.

But a 10mm mag wheelgun that can also run the 10mm AUTO and .40Sneezy-Weezy cartridges with moon clips is something I've been wanting to see happen for a long time.
View Quote

I still have my 1st Gen S&W 610 6.5-inch.  In fact I took two does with it this past Sunday morning.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 6:01:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I still have my 1st Gen S&W 610 6.5-inch.  In fact I took two does with it this past Sunday morning.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome!

Yeah, I really miss mine now. On the auction sites, the used ones I've seen are going for sick money.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 1:15:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Well, looks like they are out there. Two are on gunbroker, price is a bit high. Here's hoping that settles down a bit.

But while I was looking I also found this.

Royal purple PVD refinished. How many people on this, or any other planet could there possibly be who have both the money and desire for something like this? I ask you!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 1:47:51 AM EDT
[#35]
The above revolver is offered for sale by Michael Zeleny. He abviously prices his revolvers fairly high and gets a lot of exposure and traffic to his firearms blog like that but he also sells quite a few Korths, SIG P210s, and MR73s, so there must be some interest in these guns.

The fact that one man cannot afford them, nor likes them, does not mean that the next won't buy them from change in his pocket and loves them. I personally rather spend my money on expensive guns than luxury vehicles.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just did! But I'm still wanting a Korth... ugh... Can't decide if I want to get the Nighthawk Korth 6" Mongoose or to save up an extra $1500 or so for a Korth Sport/Combat.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 1:28:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Just did! But I'm still wanting a Korth... ugh... Can't decide if I want to get the Nighthawk Korth 6" Mongoose or to save up an extra $1500 or so for a Korth Sport/Combat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mm, unless you are doing some kind of high level competitive shooting that I know absolutely nothing about the Mongoose seems like it is more than adequate. The sights look nice but I think those rails look hideous.

It's only a matter of time until someone posts a pic of a Sport model with 20 pounds of lights, scopes and lasers mounted to it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 1:02:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Mm, unless you are doing some kind of high level competitive shooting that I know absolutely nothing about the Mongoose seems like it is more than adequate. The sights look nice but I think those rails look hideous.

It's only a matter of time until someone posts a pic of a Sport model with 20 pounds of lights, scopes and lasers mounted to it.
View Quote

You're thinking of the new Super Sport. I'm referring to the older "Sport" model made at their original factory where there are no rails and the cylinder release is right behind the hammer. Very unique looking but an extra $1500 or so since they're a lot harder to find.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 12:08:50 PM EDT
[#39]
I am familiar with both, the Korth revolvers from Ratzeburg and the new revolvers from Lollar. I find the quality of some of the Ratzeburg guns absolutley stunning but before I would put $3,000 into a Nighthawk Korth, I would buy a S&W and have it improved by a good gunsmith, or do it myself.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 2:04:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I am familiar with both, the Korth revolvers from Ratzeburg and the new revolvers from Lollar. I find the quality of some of the Ratzeburg guns absolutley stunning but before I would put $3,000 into a Nighthawk Korth, I would buy a S&W and have it improved by a good gunsmith, or do it myself.
View Quote

Hahaha, I thought you were going the ARFCOM route and say get both.
Assuming you already have some nice S&W revolvers, would you rather spend the ~$3500 on a 6" Nighthawk Korth Mongoose or save up and spend the ~$5300 for a 6" Korth Sport?

The Nighthawk Korth offerings are intriguing in terms of price, but I still prefer 6" blued revolvers and wood grips. Not sure how I feel about the DLC coating and rubber grips for that much money. And the Korth Sport has a unique cylinder release. But man is it pricey. If I did save up the money and pull the trigger, it'd easily be the most expensive handgun I'd own. And they're impossible to find anywhere around to just look at the quality/feel of a Korth.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 3:25:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Sounds like these are finally filtering out into the market.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:15:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Hahaha, I thought you were going the ARFCOM route and say get both.
Assuming you already have some nice S&W revolvers, would you rather spend the ~$3500 on a 6" Nighthawk Korth Mongoose or save up and spend the ~$5300 for a 6" Korth Sport?

The Nighthawk Korth offerings are intriguing in terms of price, but I still prefer 6" blued revolvers and wood grips. Not sure how I feel about the DLC coating and rubber grips for that much money. And the Korth Sport has a unique cylinder release. But man is it pricey. If I did save up the money and pull the trigger, it'd easily be the most expensive handgun I'd own. And they're impossible to find anywhere around to just look at the quality/feel of a Korth.
View Quote

Well,

I have 15 Korths and a few more S&W revolvers already, so I can take it easy buying new guns. I don't like the fact that the grips on the new Korth revolvers are the same size like the S&W K/L frame but grips with common screws do not work because of the mainspring location, only Hogues work.
This explains the glitch:

I bought my Korths used and for little money before the hype started and would not spend $3,000 on a mass produced Nighthawk Korth. I would much rather look for a used Korth from Ratzeburg or get a nice old S&W M27.

I love six inch revolvers for 25 yard target work and those three all bring the same result in single action, in double action the Python falls behind imho. I also like traditionally blued guns with wood grips.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top