Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2016 1:37:43 AM EDT
Brass is just not falling freely from my GP100/Match Champion. I generally have to yank at least three cases out after tipping it up and slapping the ejector. Not good for a competition gun at all. This is with factory .38 loads.

So I ordered a 400 grit and 800 grit Flex Hone and their honing oil. http://www.brushresearch.com/brushes.php?c2=8

I have a padded vice, and a hand drill that can go low speeds, and I can easily get the cylinder out of the gun and get the crane off.

My question is, do I need to remove the extractor? It would be a lot easier of a job if I didn't. Their instructions aren't too clear on that part, but everything else makes sense.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 1:45:15 AM EDT
[#1]
First question I am going to ask are they hand loads or cheap bought round plinking rounds? The higher quality rounds cause less fouling and easier to knock them out.  Cheap rounds more fouling. If hand loading with just lead also more fouling vs powder coating and FMJ's
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 6:16:29 AM EDT
[#2]
if it is a competition pistol only.. I'd hone and chamfer the cylinder and  star at the same time...are you shooting .38 or .357 length cases? I'm not that familiar with the GP line
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 6:49:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm surely no expert but I THINK 400 grit may be a little TOO aggressive,unless the cylinder has visible matching marks.If it only needs polishing I think I would start with something finer....,maybe crocus cloth.You can always go coarser if need be.
The extractor can be nicely chamfered with a 1/2" diameter stone in a drill....
go easy,it doesn't take much.
Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 7:02:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah it sounds like you do need to polish things up a bit .

I would take a good hard look at things first to determine how bad things are and possibly consider warrantee through Ruger if fairly bad. If what the gun really needs is a new cylinder you don't want to be messing with it before Ruger looks at it .

After you get stuff fixed you want to be shooting nickel plated brass for matches , this will really smooth out and speed up reloads
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 10:46:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

First question I am going to ask are they hand loads or cheap bought round plinking rounds? The higher quality rounds cause less fouling and easier to knock them out.  Cheap rounds more fouling. If hand loading with just lead also more fouling vs powder coating and FMJ's
View Quote
Cheap .38, but have all the parts for the press to load now. This happens on the first 6 shots after a deep cleaning, so I don't think fouling is the problem.

Link Posted: 9/18/2016 10:49:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I'm surely no expert but I THINK 400 grit may be a little TOO aggressive,unless the cylinder has visible matching marks.If it only needs polishing I think I would start with something finer....,maybe crocus cloth.You can always go coarser if need be.

The extractor can be nicely chamfered with a 1/2" diameter stone in a drill....

go easy,it doesn't take much.

Good luck!
View Quote
I might try the 800 first and see what happens. Can always take more off but you can't put it back. The company recommends just a few passes per cylinder, of each brush.

Link Posted: 9/18/2016 10:51:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yeah it sounds like you do need to polish things up a bit .

I would take a good hard look at things first to determine how bad things are and possibly consider warrantee through Ruger if fairly bad. If what the gun really needs is a new cylinder you don't want to be messing with it before Ruger looks at it .

After you get stuff fixed you want to be shooting nickel plated brass for matches , this will really smooth out and speed up reloads
View Quote
It went back to Ruger for a timing issue already. There wasn't a single polished piece of the entire gun, so I am not surprised the cylinder wasn't finished well either. I have polished everything inside that touches another part and it's turning into a hell of a gun, wish it came that way from Ruger.

I am considering .357 length nickel plated brass to reduce fouling, but nickel .38 might be a good idea too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top