Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2016 2:06:58 PM EDT
Long story short i was done wrong by a local pawn chain on a 2.5" 686-6 for $499. Head of marketing for the chain company offered me this for $400 as a sorry. Not much info but they are willing to bring it in for me but i need info on it. Only picture i have and its a week out if i want it. They will sell it for $400:

looks to have a trigger stop on the trigger, and a custom makers engraving? maybe cylinder is recessed for moon clips? It has TK custom logo on it.Not a huge fan of 6" barrels though.

Should i take this or ask for a deal on a different firearm?

Link Posted: 9/9/2016 2:11:55 PM EDT
[#1]
6 inch barrel equals probably tough resale value and lower value overall. I'd ask for a different deal.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 2:13:10 PM EDT
[#2]
She offered to also allow when i see a firearm i really want in the future to make a very good deal on it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 3:18:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Without the rear sight to replace that scope mount, I would say no. Otherwise that good deal obligates you to buy either a red dot or a scope. If you don't like 6 inch barrels, you probably really won't like one with another 1/2 pound or more of metal up top.

-shooter
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 3:51:33 PM EDT
[#4]
TK Custom is one of the premier revolver customizers.  There could be several hundred dollars worth of action work done on that revolver.  If it's converted for moon-clips (something TK is know for, they make the OEM moonclips for several S&W revolvers) that is bonus in my book and another $150 in custom work done. Moonclips rule! Moonclip on a 357 revolver have the bonus of being optional.  The gun runs with or without them.

I personally love a 6 inch revolver.  6 inches makes it a real shooter IMHO.  Still short enough to carry in a holster on a belt but long enough for a good sight radius and to extract good ballistics from the 357 mag cartridge and enough weight to tame the really hot loads.

The missing rear sight does suck.  A new one will run you $100-$170 depending on what you want.

my rambling $.02
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 4:11:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

TK Custom is one of the premier revolver customizers.  There could be several hundred dollars worth of action work done on that revolver.  If it's converted for moon-clips (something TK is know for, they make the OEM moonclips for several S&W revolvers) that is bonus in my book and another $150 in custom work done. Moonclips rule! Moonclip on a 357 revolver have the bonus of being optional.  The gun runs with or without them.

I personally love a 6 inch revolver.  6 inches makes it a real shooter IMHO.  Still short enough to carry in a holster on a belt but long enough for a good sight radius and to extract good ballistics from the 357 mag cartridge and enough weight to tame the really hot loads.

The missing rear sight does suck.  A new one will run you $100-$170 depending on what you want.

my rambling $.02

View Quote

I agree. However i would not want to get something just to flip. Revolvers <4" are the only type i like. I asked if this deal can be a blanket deal on a firearm of my choosing.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 10:10:51 AM EDT
[#6]
6" barrels are not my thing, so I would say pass.  Plus the missing rear sight makes it a double pass.

That would make a great critter killer with a pistol scope though.

Link Posted: 9/17/2016 10:45:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Brownells sells rear sight assemblies for $50. That's a Fo price.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 12:19:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I have that exactly same pistol without the scope mount.

It is my absolute most favorite pistol to shoot.  Very accurate, not too heavy, and the Hogue grip and barrel combine to soften the load of the hottest .357 loads I can find in all my reloading manuals.

For $400, I'd buy it, considering it didn't have any flaws with cylinder alignment or lockup.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 7:21:59 PM EDT
[#9]
If it's in nice shape, I'd take it and flip it, you could double your money fairly easily.................
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 3:41:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Just curious, why no love for the 6" barrel?

Personally, I look for revolvers with longer barrels; longer sight radius, better ballistics, less perceived recoil.

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 8:16:59 AM EDT
[#11]
At the end of the day you're looking at a 686 plus 7-shot that has had custom work done to it and needs a $50 sight.

What I don't get is you say you're not looking for something to flip. But yet you don't like long bbl'd revolvers.

Why would you even consider a firearm that you don't like????
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 8:41:30 AM EDT
[#12]
I would try and find out exactly what has been done to it. If that has had a bunch of work it will be a dream to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:37:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
6" barrels are not my thing, so I would say pass.  Plus the missing rear sight makes it a double pass.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 8:24:58 AM EDT
[#14]
I would have no interest in it; depends if you would want something like it and have a use for it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 8:57:50 AM EDT
[#15]
A 6" 686 goes for $700-$800 around here, the older the better, and usually don't last long. I had and sold a pitted up 6" 686, after selling the guns I took in on trade for it I got $925 for one that was rust pitted! Crazy.

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 1:54:25 PM EDT
[#16]
If it is a 7 shot and no lock it is a buy . , It has a lot of custom work done . My quick guess is the minimum is $200 was spent on the gun in action work
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:32:46 AM EDT
[#17]
The hammer is not bobbed so it's likley not a super light DA pull.
If you can get the SN, You can ask TK what work was done.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 5:54:58 PM EDT
[#18]
All 686's that are -4 and up come from the factory with the top strap drilled and tapped for a scope mount.  It's under the rear sight, so all you have to do is unscrew the rear sight assy, and put on the mount.  So it's unlikely that there will be any problem just reinstalling a rear sight, since it was made this way.  Ask the seller if they have the rear sight with it in the box, etc.  If it has the rear sight, then it's no drama there at all.

The -6 has some MIM parts and the key lock.  -6 production started in 2001.  I can't tell for sure from the pic, but those don't look like MIM hammer or trigger.  Given the trigger stop screw and the TK mark, it may very well had some really nice action work done.  

Some folks don't like the key lock and the absence of the rear sight is a value downer as well.  TK moon clip work is a plus.  IIRC it still works like normal without the moon clips, but you have the ability to take moon clips.  That set-up might indicate it was used in competition, which may be a plus or minus.  It could mean it has lots of miles, or it could mean it has some valuable work done to it and has been taken care of.  Only looking at it would tell you.  

$400 is a good price.  I'd buy it if I ran across it in a local establishment.  I don't mind a 6" barrel either.  I wouldn't buy it if I didn't want a 6" barrel.  There's no point in spending money on something you don't want.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:27:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I have to ask did you buy this ?
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 7:30:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Long story short i was done wrong by a local pawn chain on a 2.5" 686-6 for $499. Head of marketing for the chain company offered me this for $400 as a sorry. Not much info but they are willing to bring it in for me but i need info on it. Only picture i have and its a week out if i want it. They will sell it for $400:

looks to have a trigger stop on the trigger, and a custom makers engraving? maybe cylinder is recessed for moon clips? It has TK custom logo on it.Not a huge fan of 6" barrels though.

Should i take this or ask for a deal on a different firearm?

http://i63.tinypic.com/23wjm7p.jpg
View Quote

I have NO clue, BUT I must say that you have the BEST avatar on this site

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 7:53:43 AM EDT
[#21]
If the timing, endshake, etc., check out, I would jump on a $400 686

the 6" as fun to shoot.

Link Posted: 10/3/2016 12:35:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If the timing, endshake, etc., check out, I would jump on a $400 686

the 6" as fun to shoot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95xjizDOrcc

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/derek45/media/Smith%20revolvers/sw686_zps0e769aaf.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/Smith%20revolvers/sw686_zps0e769aaf.jpg</a>
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 3:40:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I inherited a S&W 44mag from my father. It's a 689-2 I think if memoey servs. I'm a Glock fan. But, I DO love this pistol he left me. Makes me wanta get a few more. You sure as hell cannot "limp wrist" a revolver.

It gave me a new appreciation for them. I would not mind haing a small pocket carry .357.

This 44 mag does have a kick to it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top