Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2016 10:33:19 PM EDT
I have a S&W 686 that was given to me by my aunt. It belonged to my late uncle. Serial number is AFF9xxx. When you open the wheel, serial number is displayed, then beneath the serial number is an "M", and beneath that it reads Mod 686. Any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks!
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 11:05:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have the book handy but I believe you are looking at mid 1984.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 11:50:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a "no dash" model 686.  Meaning it was a first production before the "dash 1".  The "M" means it was sent back to the factory for a recal that was common with these guns.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 5:10:55 PM EDT
[#3]
My SCSW says Nov. 1984
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 7:56:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I had one right around that era, wouldn't shoot for shit. Was very disappointed with it, accuracy was horrid.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 8:10:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had one right around that era, wouldn't shoot for shit. Was very disappointed with it, accuracy was horrid.
View Quote

I demand you send it to me immediately for inspection & testing

OP sounds like a mid 80s
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 9:26:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't know whether my sarcasm meter is broken. Mine is a tack driver.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 7:25:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it was a VERY early one, didn't matter who shot it, it would hardly stay on paper at 25 yards. If I recall correctly, it seemed to spit a lot of lead from the cylinder to barrel gap. I could have probably figured out the issues today, back then, not so much.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:43:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Gotcha. I have an early sixties Python with a 4 inch barrel and the 686 with a six inch barrel. Both are awesome, but I shoot the 686 better. Likely due to having better grips and a slightly longer sight radius.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:49:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Gotcha. I have an early sixties Python with a 4 inch barrel and the 686 with a six inch barrel. Both are awesome, but I shoot the 686 better. Likely due to having better grips and a slightly longer sight radius.
View Quote

I think the 686 is a great revolver but that first run did have some issues, course I read that well after I dumped it, in subsequent generations they did change a few things for the better.

I have a ''few''S&W's so I don't hold any grudges against them.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 6:15:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought a 686 as soon as they hit the dealer's shelves, 4" version.

At that time I shot a lot, and I used my 686 in the local "combat" league shooting against people using dedicated 6" PPC revolvers.  

I ended up taking 3rd place out of probably 80 shooters.  The only modification I made was to take off the factory stocks and put on Pachmyer Gripper Professionals.  It was the most accurate handgun I have ever owned.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:39:05 PM EDT
[#11]
"Looking to date a S&W 686"?

While I like my guns, and do greatly enjoy them, I will recommend that you try a lady.   Heck, maybe even go to a range and see if you can find an interesting woman.  

It is OK though.   Many of us have felt that way before, tired of the dating scene, and wishing we could just date one of our firearms.    They have known value, can be reliable, always by your side, and a blast to enjoy.   Still, don't give up just yet on dating real people.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top