Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2016 10:03:42 PM EDT
trying to decide between these two. Will be using it as a pocket carry gun  
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 10:11:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I hate rubber grips on a pocket gun so 642 with wood.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 10:24:47 PM EDT
[#2]
J-Frame over Ruger anytime.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 10:29:18 PM EDT
[#3]
442 Moon-clip is the answer.

Link Posted: 8/17/2016 10:35:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I have both and prefer the Smith. It weighs a couple of ounces more, but it feels smaller in the pocket, has tons more grips and holster options, and I don't short stroke the trigger like I sometimes do with the LCR. My LCR 38 is a fine revolver, but I think the LCR shines in other calibers where a Smith would cost too much; like in 357, 327, 9mm, or even the rimfire calibers.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 11:07:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Wanting to stick with a stainless cylinder and barrel. My old 36's Blued finish didn't fare to well for the short time I carried it. Are the newer ones better?  I have the same concern about the LCR, though my preference is leaning toward the smith.

Link Posted: 8/17/2016 11:12:05 PM EDT
[#6]
The selling point of the 442 Pro is that it is a blackened stainless barrel and cylinder, but it is only the 442 Pro that gets that. I can't imagine my LCR rusting before my 642 though.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 9:13:01 AM EDT
[#7]
642-1, no question.

Quoted:
I have both and prefer the Smith. It weighs a couple of ounces more,
View Quote

Just for reference, the LCR weighs 13.50oz and the 642 weighs 14.67oz.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 9:29:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 10:30:00 AM EDT
[#9]
stay away from smith, many qc problems. Brand new guns out of timing and Bbls are coming in over torqued
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 11:43:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

stay away from smith, many qc problems. Brand new guns out of timing and Bbls are coming in over torqued
View Quote
Look back through the past few pages of this revolver sub-forum and I think you will see more examples of QC problems with Rugers than Smiths.  If you can inspect the revolver before laying down the cash I would not be afraid to buy either brand.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 5:31:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 6:36:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I have both...

I own 6-7 j-frames and have always loved them for my BUG needs 342 in a 5-Shot Leather ankle rig is a constant companion

The LCR has a great trigger and shoots great but I still would pick the Smith.

Have a XS front sight installed and load it up with 135gr Gold Dot
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 6:54:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Have both, the lcr(357) with the soft hogue soft rubber is a easier gun to shoot, better trigger. The 642 with standard hard rubber grips is the carry piece. As above, the footprint of the 642 is smaller. Smith looks better. I don't do speed loaders and don't have any desires to start using moonclips. I carry a bianchi speed strip in off side pocket. If I'm re-loading the j-frame in a firefight, I've already fucked up big time.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 7:34:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 9:07:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a S&W 642 from the Pro Shop and love it.  My buddy bought the LCR 357 and had to send it back to Ruger three times before they fixed the issue of you needing to pound out the cases with a cleaning rod if shooting anything other than 38spl target loads.  Because of this issue he has no faith in the firearm and will not carry it.  He is trying to sale it and not take that bad of a hit.  He is looking at the 640 or 642.  Honestly the 357 in a snub nose is worthless.  You might gain 100fps more but the muzzle blast and recoil will not be worth it.  

I like that 442 Pro.  I may have to pick one of those up.  I am a lefty so having the aid of the moon clip to speed up my reloads would help.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 9:38:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Got a 642 a few weeks ago to pocket carry when I can't conceal my shield 9 deep enough. Nice little pocket revolver but the recoil sucks. It's not fun to shoot for extended periods
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 2:15:15 AM EDT
[#17]
I have owned several J-frames and a LCR... Still own my 442

J-Frame > LCR all day

The LCR is a neat little gun and has a lighter trigger, but the lockup is not near as nice as the S&W

I would get a no-lock 642
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:37:44 PM EDT
[#18]
S & W over Ruger any time for me.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:56:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Have both systems.  If from the beginning again, only would buy the Ruger. The why:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_32/158221_LCR__38_Special__P_Review.html
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 12:54:45 PM EDT
[#20]
LCR.  Have compared it to my mother's Model 60, my own 49, and a 437 I had until recently.  Would still take the Ruger for actual carry use.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 2:50:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Having had one of the Scandiums crack on me I tried the 642, had the first one crack within 1k rounds, it was replaced and the 2nd also cracked <1k.
Customer service sucked on the Scandium model (forget the # but it was hammered), I returned it 3x before they finally sent a new one.
The first 642 took some back and forth before it was replaced, the 2nd was replaced promptly no questions.

I thought the LCR was ugly as sin and an abomination.....polymer revolver?
After trying one out I was quickly hooked, they are brilliant EDC.
We have four of the 5401's two of which are well past 1k with no issues.
We have since added two of the 3" X's which are both a bit under 500 each, again no issues.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 6:33:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I have both and I kind of like the LCR better.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Something else, I have noticed that LCR's generally have a slightly faster barrel than my Smiths, but you are talking about 15 fps average. The Smith will also feel a lot smaller while you carry it. The Hogue Tamers in the LCR are about as big as the largest j frame grip. I have switched my LCR to the boot grips. I like the Uncle Mikes combat grips on the J frames. My LCR with the Crimson Trace grips weigh a full two ounces less than my 642.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:35:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Going to try to put hands on both of them tomorrow to see which I prefer.  The prices locally are absurd so unless the PX has them for close to what online has them for I'll be ordering this one online.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:51:04 PM EDT
[#25]
So after holding both here's where I'm at...

+ Price (I can get it slightly cheaper than an LCR)

+ Slightly smaller

+/- The cylinder release is one that I'm used to, however the edges seemed quite sharp and fairly easy to push

- The trigger kind of sucked on the one I tried.  My old 36 has a much nicer trigger.

- The stock grips are awful, no surprise there so I'd have to buy replacements almost immediately (drives purchase price up)

- The front sight was not easy to see

- The finish on the 642 up close frankly looks like shit, like it's painted on, not that this really matters much to me because it's a tool but it did surprise me a bit.  The 340 they had looked nicer so I'd probably go with a 442 instead of a 642.  

LCR

+ Felt good in the hand

+ Sights were quite nice and clear (standard model not a high-viz sight model, which is what I'd get)

+ Trigger is great in comparison, different but overall better I think

- It's slightly larger

- The cylinder release is something I'm not used to and it didn't feel very "positive" and it kind of "stuck" on me, but it isn't going to get activated accidentally

- The plastic had obvious mold lines that stood up.  Nothing that I cant fix but I shouldn't have to.

I think between the two I'm leaning slightly towards the LCR....but not by much.  The whole plastic hybrid revolver thing is kind of making my head divide by zero a bit
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:59:29 AM EDT
[#26]
I've had both and I vote Smith. The Ruger is just too weird and not as smooth. The trigger pull had this weird clunky mechanical feel. The Smith, while heavier (prior to installing an Apex kit), is much smoother.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:08:17 AM EDT
[#27]
I am a S&W snob . To me the ability to shoot a revolver well starts and ends with the trigger and generally any class of S&W revolver will have a better trigger than the coresponding Ruger.

Yes I am aware that with a spring kit and a bit of work the Ruger will be resonably good but use a spring kit and a bit of work on the S&W and you get something truely beautiful.

I have a old 642 that is my go to pocket gun . If my boat sank (again) and I had to replace it I would likely go the 642 with moon clip route.

This all being said I have shot several Ruger LCRs and have tried the triggers on a bunch of others and I believe the triggers are the equal of the S&W J frames . I would feel very comfortable with either .

I guess for someone selecting a new gun it would come down to other features like sights and grips . Something I have noticed is the trough type sights on these guns are somewhat difficult as my old man eyes are getting older and if I were to get a new gun I would likely select one of the S&W models with the black finish just to have more visable sights . Not sure what options are available if any for dark sights on the Rugers.

My requirements for the pocket gun are-----

Alloy ( steel is too heavy for all day carry)

No exposed hammer to get hung up (if shit goes bad you are going to be shooting double action anyhow)

Small grips that won't get hung up on the draw

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:01:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Was back at the store again today picking up a Stoeger M3K and tried a 442 and LCR side to side.  It's a damn coin toss between the two....my wife might have to be the tie breaker on this one .  Once we found out we were moving to an area of CA that issues CCW permits she has been all about it...and gave me the green light to buy pretty much anything gun wise since I won't likely be buying any guns while we're there .  
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:31:32 PM EDT
[#29]
LCR for me.  I sold off my 642 years ago, as an unpleasant little mofo to shoot.  If it had the same type of grips as the Ruger, it would have been a much better gun.  I can shoot my wife's LCR all day.

Triggers are almost the same.  Size is about the same.  The recoil is worlds nicer with the Ruger.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:31:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Between the two the LCR without hesitation.

The LCR was designed from the ground up for snag free carry with a smooooth trigger. Its strong especially if you opt for the .357 caliber. Its the same size at the .38 version but with a steel frame Vs the alloy frame on the non magnum calibers..
I had several S&W revolvers from 34's 60's and fired a friends 642 and they are all great guns BUT I like the Ruger better. Its more comfortable to shoot , sits in my hand better.
The .357 LCR is heavier but the frame is stronger and it can use .38's or magnum ammo. I purchased a 2nd LCR for my daughter to use.

Ruger REALLY nailed a perfect pocket gun with the LCR.

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:46:03 PM EDT
[#31]
The only real reason I would go 642 over the LCR is that I am somewhat vested in the S&W cylinder release... gross muscle memory for a fighting gun is somewhat important.

If the LCR 357 were available with a S&W type cylinder release, I would be all over it.  As it stands.... I'll stick with S&W.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 12:47:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Have you shot either?  I've had both and absolutely hated the LCR - knew it in the first five rounds.  The 642 has gotten years of use and carry.  No contest in my opinion, but YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 12:48:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
LCR for me.  I sold off my 642 years ago, as an unpleasant little mofo to shoot.  If it had the same type of grips as the Ruger, it would have been a much better gun.  I can shoot my wife's LCR all day.

Triggers are almost the same.  Size is about the same.  The recoil is worlds nicer with the Ruger.
View Quote

I had the exact opposite experience.  In the end, and especially with J-frames, it's pretty subjective.  I'd recommend trying before buying if at all possible.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 2:54:16 PM EDT
[#34]
I've had two airweights, including a modern 642, crack at the forcing cone. I loved the J frame, and still dig the steel ones, but the LCR is a better shooter and I'm not concerned about the durability.

That said I gave up both for a Glock 43, a much better carry piece overall.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 9:11:45 AM EDT
[#35]
The Ruger in 38 is noticeably lighter, and has far better (and replaceable front) sights. The trigger is one of the best in a stock revolver.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 9:59:31 AM EDT
[#36]
I have had many years of experience and carry time with S&W J frames and now MUCH prefer the Ruger LCR. A better trigger, more ergonomic and much better CQ. Overall Ruger did a great job on the LCR and it is a much better gun for shooting and for carry than the S&W....<><...:)
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:55:39 AM EDT
[#37]
I hit some rough times and had to sell every single firearm I owned. Every single one, except my 442 pro. I'll never sell that one.

We're talking 10 guns, including my AR that I built specifically to shoot with my aac m42k, which I still own.

Seriously.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:35:40 PM EDT
[#38]
I really like my LCR. I own a couple J-frames too. Either could be a good choice. Just make sure you get a good gun and really wring it out at the range before you bet you life on it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 6:00:51 PM EDT
[#39]
I've owned a 642 and 638. I now own a .38spl LCR for it's lighter weight, better out of box trigger and lower recoil. The factory grips are fine for most types of carry and make the gun very pleasant to shoot, but I would put the Hogue Bantam grip on their for pocket carry. I've never been confused by the cylinder releases when I shoot one of my Smith's or Rugers.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:23:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
J-Frame over Ruger anytime.
View Quote

I agree.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:05:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Ruger over the J-Frame anytime.

Isn't is (still) a great country that we have a choice!     Be sure to vote in November to preserve our right to carry and our ability to choose what we carry!!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:55:48 AM EDT
[#42]
I really like the replaceable front sight on the LCR, but couldn't get comfortable with the trigger.  I sold my 38 and 357 LCR, but kept my 642's.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 8:19:26 AM EDT
[#43]
I'd take the Smith.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 12:33:47 AM EDT
[#44]
I'd go 642 no lock.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 7:14:00 AM EDT
[#45]
I just traded for a LCR cicra 2009 in decent shape. I hope I like it better than my 642 or Charter U/C Lite that I got rid off when I hit the semi fad.

The 642 had it's infernal lock lock up on the cop I sold it to.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 8:31:54 AM EDT
[#46]

Admittedly, I have not shot the airweight, but an LCR with the boot grip is a pleasure to carry & shoots well. The grip is plastic, with a rubber front & back strap.

This is a random pic but I carry the same set up + the discontinued orange Hi Viz.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 2:07:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Tried both, bought the LCR.  No regrets.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 9:41:39 PM EDT
[#48]
I've owned both.  I like the looks of the smith but the ruger had a better trigger.  Really can't go wrong, if I were going to buy one again, I would buy the smith.  I just like the classic design and they both shoot equally well for a backup.  To be fair though I just bought a GP100 over a 686 yesterday.  Get whichever one you feel drawn to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top