Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2016 9:10:45 AM EDT
I would like to pick up a .38 snubnose revolver for my son for christmas.  He likes the look of the Rock Island Armory M206 with wood handles:

What else is worth a look in that $250 range?

CHAD
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:20:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Ruger LCR..oh oops, $250.. nope
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:42:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ruger LCR..oh oops, $250.. nope
View Quote

Clearly I'm not up to speed on revolvers and pricing... taking a crash course now.

CHAD
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:17:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Look around for a used S&W or a Ruger SP101 - still will be over $250, but you can stumble on some deals.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:32:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Look for a S&W 442/642 Pro. I bought a 'used' one for $300 shipped. You could also look for a no-lock 442/642, I simply prefer the pro because it's already cut for moon clips, and it uses a stainless barrel and cylinder, instead of carbon steel.

You should be able to find a used 442/642 for fairly cheap. You could also look into the 638, with the shrouded hammer.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:52:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I have no experience with the Rock Island revolver.  

But if you can save up a few more dollars, you can find a used Ruger LCR or a Smith and Wesson J-Frame.  Both of which are very well made and have the support of good customer service (again, I don't have experience with Rock Island).  

I bought a used Smith and Wesson 637 a couple of years ago for $300 and I couldn't be happier with it.  I HAD a LCR, but traded it a few years ago.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:39:01 AM EDT
[#6]
S&W 442 is what you want for $50-$100 more.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:42:37 AM EDT
[#7]
The 442 and 642 are not what you want, unless you want a hammerless DA only design - and a lot of J-frame shooters don't want a DA only revolver, even for concealed carry.

If your son likes the look of the Rock Island/Armscor  M206, then he probably likes the general look of a traditional J-frame with a hammer, like the S&W Model 36.

You can find a Model 36 in good condition for around $300 but it'll cost you around $400 to get one in very good to excellent condition (and an early flat latch Model 36 can cost you twice that in excellent condition).

Still, a used Model 36 is a much better buy with much better quality and it will hold its value.

Below is the stainless steel  2.125" Model 60 with a J-magnum frame to accommodate .357 Mag, and below it is the blued Model 36 - this one is an older "no dash" Model 36.  The Model 36 originally came with wood grips and they are usually found on them in the used market.  However, people who actually shoot them on a regular basis tend to put a decent rubber grip on them as it make them much more comfortable to shoot, especially with a .38 +P load:

Another option is the Rossi version of the S&W Model 36.  The Model R35102 is a close copy inside and out and you can find them in the $250-$300 price range new in the box. Rossi quality can be a little spotty so inspect it carefully, but wit that said I trust Rossi quality more than Rock Island/Armscor quality.

Until recently the Rossi came with wood grips as well, and you can still get wood grips for them.

Rossi R35102  

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 1:21:33 PM EDT
[#8]
get something worthwhile

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 1:27:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Something in Titanium for +P loads.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 1:48:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Most people prefer a J frame size for carry but my first choice would be a snub Model 10 followed by a Dick Special.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 3:22:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Smith air weight
(drops mic and strolls away)
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Gee whiz... new revolvers cost as much as a new AR-15!!

CHAD
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

CHAD
View Quote
You should be able to get a 442/642 for ~$400 give or take a few.

ETA, You could probably get under $350 on most new Charter Arms snubbies.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 5:10:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

CHAD
View Quote

model 36 i picked up for 330 on gunbroker..

they are out there
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:39:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I would vote for a 642 Smith & Wesson jframe. New they at $400ish. I have three jframes. Top is a 36 well worn, bought this year at pawn shop $300 out the door. Middle is a well worn lightweight 37 I bought from Armslist for $200. Bottom is a model 60 I bought 26 years ago as a back-up. $200.

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:53:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8566/16124826243_d206c9d210_b.jpg

they are out there
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CHAD

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8566/16124826243_d206c9d210_b.jpg

they are out there

Every time I see a pic like this with oil and fingerprint marks on the blueing I just want to grab it and give it the old diaper treatment. That is just begging for a wipe down.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:41:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Go for a Chic Gaylord type look, or something like a "Fitz Special"  - chop the trigger guard, etc., the full package

How are the Taurus snub nose models priced?
Could be a cheap base to do the work on...

Get a copy of the Fitz book too (Shooting, 1930) - no doubt lots of reprints around
The Chic Gaylord books are a good read too.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I know nothing about RI but to me a revolver is all about a good double action trigger .
Generally That means S&W to me although the Ruger LCR has what is almost a clone of the S&W trigger .

In my book snub nose also indicates pocket carry and the exposed hammer models just don't cut it for that.

I like the alloy 642 (hammerless)

For a range toy a all steel gun is a better shooter because of the weight but that of course works the other way with a carry gun .

S&W model 10 round butt has the "look" , is a excellent shooter but is lots bigger.

I also have a 2 3/4" S&W 686 and a 3" 629 which fall under the snub nose description but are really a different thing altogether.

Not going to find much of any of these for $250
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 5:15:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Buy once , cry once... Get a Smith and wesson J frame . I carry a 638  . I hear good thing about the Rugers also .... Cheers Wardawg
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 5:37:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Has he shot any before?

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 8:28:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Buy once , cry once... Get a Smith and wesson J frame . I carry a 638  . I hear good thing about the Rugers also .... Cheers Wardawg
View Quote

This, + find a company that does no interest layaways.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 8:41:11 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Has he shot any before?
View Quote
This is a legitimate question.  Snubbies, especial aluminum alloy frames snubbies, are not pleasant to shoot especially with +P ammo, for many shooters.  The recoil is stout.

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:13:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This is a legitimate question.  Snubbies, especial aluminum alloy frames snubbies, are not pleasant to shoot especially with +P ammo, for many shooters.  The recoil is stout.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Has he shot any before?

He has never shot a snub nose.  I've never shot a snub nose.  Closest would be a .357 mag revolver with longer 6"? barrel.  Steel and heavier, even older/used is fine.  It'll be good for him to hang on tight.

CHAD
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:45:59 PM EDT
[#24]
If he has never shot a J frame before, make sure you get something at a good price so you can get most your money back when it is sold.

I love revolvers and like J frames but they are not for everyone. They can be difficult and punishing to shoot depending on your experience.

A decent used Smith & Wesson seems like a good choice for your situation.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If he has never shot a J frame before, make sure you get something at a good price so you can get most your money back when it is sold.

I love revolvers and like J frames but they are not for everyone. They can be difficult and punishing to shoot depending on your experience.

A decent used Smith & Wesson seems like a good choice for your situation.
View Quote

I hear what you're saying.  I'd rather get him a pistol, but he's all nostalgic.  Plus, he'll inherit a Kimber .45 1911 from grandpa who passed away last year.  Grandma isn't quite ready to let go.

CHAD
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 1:11:26 PM EDT
[#26]
I am sorry but if I was buying a snub I would only buy a Colt, Smith or Ruger.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 1:54:46 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote
I would even pass on the Colt.  They are way over priced for what you get in the current market.  I could buy three or more S&W revolvers for the price of similar featured Colt.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:54:13 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
He has never shot a snub nose.  I've never shot a snub nose.  Closest would be a .357 mag revolver with longer 6"? barrel.  Steel and heavier, even older/used is fine.  It'll be good for him to hang on tight.

CHAD
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Has he shot any before?

CHAD
If you're buying for looks nothing wrong with the RIA and it won't break the bank for something that might get played with a lot but not shot very much. Or something pretty special  that's going to carry a lot of cool factor through the decades? Something like a Colt Cobra.  (I have my Mom's Nickel Cobra, people can boo boo Colts all they want, I pull that thing out, people start drooling).  Something practical for carry? Ruger LCR?

A 6" .357 revolver isn't anything like a "snubnose" / J-Frame size revolver. They're snappy, have an incredibly short sight radius that makes them requires lot of skill to be accurate with, and between those two factors a LOT of snubs get purchased, fired a few times then never really shot again.  It why the market was flooded for decades with what I call "sock drawer guns".  I think the biggest thing to keep in mind is the expectation of how the gun will be used, or not as mentioned if it's more of a collector piece.

When I was working at a range/ store what I did when Guys came in wanting to buy thier family members Snub nosed revolvers, but were on a budget and had never shot one before, I let them put a round or two through the rental gun. Invariably it ended up saving peopel a lot of cash outlay when they were looking for something they could shoot a lot.  

I would regardless of the intent, take him to a range that does rentals and see if you and he can rent one, or at least pop a few rounds off to really determine if it's something that you want or if it's just a passing fancy.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 6:42:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I would even pass on the Colt.  They are way over priced for what you get in the current market.  I could buy three or more S&W revolvers for the price of similar featured Colt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with you on the money aspect but they are very nice quality guns, have good triggers, hold six, and the coolness factor is way up there.

/I had an almost unfired condition nickel '66 Cobra in the box and blued '65 Agent w/Colt hammer shroud and T-grip like asshole. Correction, a huge asshole.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:33:21 AM EDT
[#30]
$250 budget is tough, but I bought my S&W 637 for $275 from a pawn shop.

I bought a beat but sweet S&W model 38 no dash for less than your budget, but that was a fluke. Since you have time, scour the pawn shops and LGS's and see what you can scare up.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:23:50 PM EDT
[#31]
I'll watch the used market for a while for the S&W models that come up.  Someone mentioned a Rossi, and those seem alright too.

I suspect he won't be his CCW any time soon, and less likely to actually carry.  Snub nose would be more of a novelty than anything practical.

CHAD
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:07:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Way out of the budget but I just bought his. Pretty nice shooting snub. I shot some .38s just to get a feel.  
http://www.ruger.com/products/sp101/specSheets/5774.html
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:33:14 AM EDT
[#33]
To experience what the recoil is like, shoot something small in 9MM.  PF9 or something similar.

If neither of you have done this yet, you don't really know what you are getting into.  Make sure you are armed with all the information you need to make the right choice for yourself.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:59:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:22:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Model 10/64 snub.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:28:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Picked up a Rossi 461 in .357 for $275.  Doesn't have the wood handle, but not a bad price for new display model.  (Maybe his siblings could get him a replacement wood grip.)  Should have it in hand in a few days.

I know the quality of firearms you all recommend, and I also know you are very active shooters.  I'm an enthusiast who shoots every once in a while, so I don't mind buying items with lesser reputations.

CHAD
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:45:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Have owned a goodly number of snubbies over the years.  Smith J frame, Smith K frame (2, 2 12, and 3 inch), Colt Dec Specials, Ruger LCR, and Charter Arms Undercover.  Been around both Taurus and Rossi.

My carry revolver is an older Charter Arms Undercover I bought on a whim for $225.  Same size as Smith J frame.  Better sights.  Trigger and overall quality about the same.  Accuracy at least as good.  I can't speak to the new ones but 1967 edition does everything I need.

I will on occasion carry my S&W 64 three inch.  Best carry gun Smith ever made.  The Colts are more or less retired collector's items.  The Ruger was just  ok; mine was a 22 and I never liked the accuracy it had.  My understanding is the 38's are better in this regard. I also have a three inch GP100 that I carry from time to time; it's not exactly a light weight but shoots extremely well. Taurus and Rossi can make a decent pistol, but you need to examine them carefully before purchase.  

On my watch list is a 2 3/4 Ruger Speed Six.  Not easy to find and generally overpriced when I do find one.  I wouldn't mind another Dec Special but Colt market has pretty left me in the dust.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 4:45:05 PM EDT
[#38]
My wife carried a S&W 442 for years. I carry it now in my front right pocket when I'm not carrying my Sig.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:08:48 AM EDT
[#39]
For a bit more you could get a Charter Arms Police Undercover.

I'd look out for a reasonably priced used S&W Chiefs Special/Model 36.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 4:06:11 PM EDT
[#40]
You are better off buying a used S&W (or any other USA made revolver) than that "Made in the Philippines" model. Not only is it not a quality firearm out-of-the gate, it will lose value over time.

Currently brand new S&W stainless steel revolvers can be purchased for around $400 +/- which is money well spent IMO.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:45:47 AM EDT
[#41]
For a decent wheel gun you will need to spend more than your budget unfortunately

Look for a used S&W J-Frame or a SP101

Or maybe a S&W 637 if he wants to carry it

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:59:43 PM EDT
[#42]
The arms corp/ rock island pistol is good for the price. I have not seen any bad feed back. I have shot them and they went bang every time.
I might get one in the future but I have 4 colt detective specials and several S&W 38. No j frames. I will always take 6 shot over a 5 shot if I am carrying a revolver.
RLTW

[URL=http://]

[URL=http://]
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:55:37 PM EDT
[#43]
my choice a smith model 60-7

first it is stainless steel
second- no adjustable sights no lock & I prefer a hammer to shoot SA if needed
3rd the cylinder is heat treated making it +P capable.

everything you need nothing you don't
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:32:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Smith 442 or bust.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 7:19:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Have owned a goodly number of snubbies over the years.  Smith J frame, Smith K frame (2, 2 12, and 3 inch), Colt Dec Specials, Ruger LCR, and Charter Arms Undercover.  Been around both Taurus and Rossi.

My carry revolver is an older Charter Arms Undercover I bought on a whim for $225.  Same size as Smith J frame.  Better sights.  Trigger and overall quality about the same.  Accuracy at least as good.  I can't speak to the new ones but 1967 edition does everything I need.

The charter arms are allot of pistol for the $$$

I will on occasion carry my S&W 64 three inch.  Best carry gun Smith ever made.  The Colts are more or less retired collector's items.  The Ruger was just  ok; mine was a 22 and I never liked the accuracy it had.  My understanding is the 38's are better in this regard. I also have a three inch GP100 that I carry from time to time; it's not exactly a light weight but shoots extremely well. Taurus and Rossi can make a decent pistol, but you need to examine them carefully before purchase.  

On my watch list is a 2 3/4 Ruger Speed Six.  Not easy to find and generally overpriced when I do find one.  I wouldn't mind another Dec Special but Colt market has pretty left me in the dust.
View Quote

+1^^^^^^

I've used/carried a charter arms bulldog, a 44spl snub nosed revolver for decades (1985). Their p+ 38spl undercovers are also allot of revolver for the $$$.People buy them along with a box or 2 of ammo and then they sit. It's nothing in my little neck of the woods to pick them up for $150 apiece at gunshows. I have $300 in both of these.

Link Posted: 8/1/2016 10:43:58 PM EDT
[#46]
I picked up my 2 inch model 10 for $300 at a pawn shop . They are out there
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top